What's new

3D Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (1983) (1 Viewer)

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
Good, I'm glad the pq is lousy. It only worked in 3D and if it's not properly restored to its original clarity, aspect ratio and polarized stereoscopics it's not worth anything to me

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yep, a review like that is important to keep the temptation away to get it despite its lack of 3D. Now, I'm not even a little bit interested in it. My (vague) memories of seeing it in 3D in the theater will have to suffice.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I thought the same thing but it's in the top 20 of sales of Sci-Fi Blu-ray's on Amazon

I wouldn't put too much stock in that; it's three notches behind Caltiki (which I bought) and every title after it has been in release for years.

I'm sure Mill Creek should do OK at their price point. My point to studios and DVD distributors is that (if, in contrast to Mill Creek, it fits their business model and marketplace profile) they'll do better releasing titles in 3D than 2D.

Fortunately, Paramount has deeded all its 3D titles to Kino for proper release.

Hello, Twilight Time, Olive, Universal, Warner Bros., et al....

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Fortunately, Paramount has deeded all its 3D titles to Kino for proper release.

Well, almost.. Money From Home wound up with another distributor that turned down the 3D Film Archive's offer to restore the film in 3D. But the other Paramount titles seem to be in better hands!

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Yes, Josh and Dick, my oversight -- of course Money from Home unfortunately landed in the laps of the myopic folks at Olive, and Hondo is a whole 'nother matter. Fortunately the others were part of the recent Kino deal with Paramount and 3D Film Archive.

I should have written "most" Paramounts...

From a December posting on DVDTalk by the site's correspondent Gary Teetzel:

"Was at the Aero tonight for the premiere of the 3-D Film Archive's presentation of September Storm ...
During the Q & A afterward, Bob Furmanek confirmed that the 3-D Film Archive will be working with Kino on most of the Paramount 3-D titles. In addition to the already-announced Those Redheads from Seattle they'll be doing Jivaro, Sangaree, Cease Fire, Flight to Tangier and -- hooray! -- William Cameron Menzies' horror opus for Allied Artists, The Maze. WIth those titles, plus Mad Magician and Gun Fury from Twilight Time, nearly a third of the 1950's 3-D features will be available on Blu-ray. -- Gary"

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Review on another site. He's wrong when he says "version does feel cramped in some shots". It's just opened up to 1.85 (compared to the 2.35 3D).

Film frame:
spacehunter1.jpg

Blu-ray:
15163_6.jpg

"Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone was originally conceived as a 3D film with a wider ~2.35:1 aspect ratio. Unfortunately, Mill Creek's Blu-ray features only the film's 2D presentation, released at 1.85:1 and, on Blu-ray, with the MPEG-2 codec. This version does feel cramped in some shots; composition feels cluttered and action and characters occasionally have no room to breathe. The transfer is not in particularly good shape. Opening title wobble is evident. An excess of print deterioration -- speckles, scratches, splotches -- is visible throughout. Noise flutters into some scenes, and even a few false colors appear. Occasionally harsh edge halos are evident. Black levels are inconsistent, particularly when they push pale around the edges and reveal heavy, swarming grain. Details are by-and-large disappointing. The image lacks crispness, stability or the ability to reveal even moderate textures, a shame considering all of the rough terrain and worn objects throughout the film. Grain occasionally settles down and reveals a firmer, more natural, tighter presentation, with a few shots looking downright filmic and attractively so, but generally the image is pasty, flat, soft, and absent any serious detailing. Colors are largely limited to the red push that saturates practically every frame, particularly outdoors. Some of the locations within Overdog's lair prove a little more forgiving, but they're fairly dark. The transfer's biggest shortcoming is its inability to hold a firm, film-like image. It's too soft and sloppy."

Last edited:

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Still 2D only. Why bother, Koch.....?

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Still 2D only. Why bother, Koch.....?

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft!
Absolutely no interest except in 3D. That's how I saw it in the theater and is the only way I want to see it again.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
So, I managed to make a comparison between the 2 releases. Not a very characteristic shot, but the Koch one seems to have healthier grain and better encoding.
https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/19883

I don't really care for 3D. I first saw the film on a 4:3 TV, so...
I will be definitely getting this! I just hope they don't announce a 4K release afterwards! hehe

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

I saw METALSTORM: THE DESTRUCTION OF JARED-SYN and SPACEHUNTER: ADVENTURES IN THE FORBIDDEN ZONE at a movie theatre in 3-D. I thought they were about the same, maybe SPACEHUNTER a little better. Both 3-D was good not great. Without 3-D why bother watching them.

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
I saw Spacehunter at a midnight movie in glorious headbursting anaglyph. Can't remember a thing. 80's and all. I think we snuck in a case of beer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks