Space sims/shoot em ups for pc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by stan hiller, Dec 12, 2001.

1. stan hiller

stan hiller Extra

Since the release of 'Xwing' back in the early 90's, I'v been hooked on lucasarts space sims - sure, they can get a little over the top in terms of complexity (practically every key is used in these games) and they can be hard as hell at times but thats the way I like em.

The last decent game released was 'X-Wing Alliance' which is easily the best by far but its getting on now and as far as I can see, the upcoming 'starfighter' is more shoot em up than space sim- are there any decent space sims lurking in the background or is this a dying breed on the pc?

2. Matt C

Matt C Stunt Coordinator

Matthew
    I too have been a huge fan of the LucasArts space sims/fighters. I personally thought that Tie Fighter was the best, but Alliance was also a blast to play through. I'd say that the other best space fighters would be Freespace and and Freespace2. Both had amazing graphics, and were a lot of fun. I'm sure you've tried them, but if not, I highly recommend them both. Other than that, I haven't heard much about any new games coming out, but I also haven't been looking into it recently. If anyone has some new info, please enlighten us! [​IMG]
    -Matt C

3. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Given that Freespace 2 sold an absolutely abyssmal number of units, it's very unlikely that the Space Sim genre is quite as big as it used to be.
    Which is a real shame, as Freespace 2 is an absolutely amazing game. It lacks the wingmen personalities of Wing Commander, which I love dearly, but the space fights feel way better than in the former, with those unbelievably bad-ass capital ships [​IMG] . The graphics are stellar, and the storyline is nicely complex without being overwhelmingly so.
    But no, given how great Freespace 2 was and how few people actually bought it, it's unlikely most publishers are willing to try that genre again. Which is a damned shame, but it's the same sort of thing that happened to my beloved adventure games, nobody bought 'em...

4. James Mitchell

I though that Microsoft's Starlancer was a pretty good game as well, does anyone know if it also sold well? I also love the X-Wing series, My favorite was Xwing vs Tie strictly for the multiplayer. I remember playing that game all night sometimes on zone.com.

5. stan hiller

stan hiller Extra

Nice to see that this series of games has its admirers.

I bought both freespace games and still play freespace 2 regularly - gorgeous graphics, easy to get into and challenging.

We can all dream - mine would be lucasarts sims based around the Snowspeeder vs AT-AT battle on hoth, an updating of the origional X-wing and finally, the chance to pilot the AT-ST's and speeder bikes from ROTJ - like I said, we can all dream!