Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Title: Space Jam: A New Legacy (2021)

Tagline: Welcome to the Jam!

Genre: Animation, Comedy, Family, Science Fiction

Director: Malcolm D. Lee

Cast: LeBron James, Don Cheadle, Cedric Joe, Sonequa Martin-Green, Khris Davis, Jeff Bergman, Eric Bauza, Zendaya, Ceyair J. Wright, Xosha Roquemore, Jalyn Hall, Wood Harris, Sue Bird, Anthony Davis, Draymond Green, Damian Lillard, Klay Thompson, Nneka Ogwumike, Diana Taurasi, A’ja Wilson, Gerald 'Slink' Johnson, Sarah Silverman, Steven Yeun, Ernie Johnson, Lil Rel Howery, Michael B. Jordan, Gabriel Iglesias, Candi Milo, Bob Bergen, Fred Tatasciore, Rosario Dawson, Justin Roiland, Kimberly Brooks, Cassandra Starr, Greice Santo, Whitney Coleman, Anna Sofie Christensen, Julyah Rose, Erin Flannery, Harrison White, Katie McCabe

Release: 2021-07-08

Runtime: 115

Plot: When LeBron and his young son Dom are trapped in a digital space by a rogue A.I., LeBron must get them home safe by leading Bugs, Lola Bunny and the whole gang of notoriously undisciplined Looney Tunes to victory over the A.I.'s digitized champions on the court. It's Tunes versus Goons in the highest-stakes challenge of his life.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Oof…just watched this one on HBO Max. I have no connection to the first movie and no affinity for LeBron in the real world. He’s wholly unlikeable for a majority of this movie…so much so I consider him the villain for most of it. I get this is about LeBron understanding his son and finding common ground. But this is so incomprehensible absurd from beginning to end.

And yes, I understand the movie we’re talking about here.

This is just cringeworthy, almost a greatest hits of WB properties. I felt like it was a commercial for their stuff versus an actual movie.

A few saving graces: Don Cheadle is having fun, the effects look good and Sonequa Martin-Green has some funny lines/looks. Otherwise, hard hard pass…I’ve seen it and never need think about it ever again.

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
One of the legit greatest moments of the movie was the special cameo by
Michael Jordon

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Against my better judgment, I saw "Legacy" today, and it was pretty much as bad as expected.

Michael Jordan couldn't act, but he maintained an easy-going charm on screen. James seems wooden as an actor and he can't bring personality to the role, which is a shame since he plays himself.

I actually like James more as a person, for he seems like a genuinely good person who puts his money where his mouth is when it comes to causes in which he believes. That's a contrast with Michael "Republicans buy shoes too" Jordan, a man who abdicated an responsibility to achieve good in the world with his position.

But as awkward as Jordan was in the 1996 movie, he's Laurence Freakin' Olivier compared to James as an actor. Given how much time we spend with James, this becomes a problem.

It also doesn't help that "Legacy" has nearly no plot behind the bizarre notion of a computer algorithm that craves revenge against humans. Not that the first film's story was classic, but it seemed semi-clever and went somewhere, whereas the "narrative" to "Legacy" feels random and largely incomprehensible.

Another issue stems from the fact this feels like "Pop Culture Reference: The Movie". We get incessant allusions to a wide variety of Warner properties, none of which exist for any reasons other than a) self-advertising and b) cheap gags.

This seems like lazy "humor", as the filmmakers expect us to laugh because we recognize the properties and allegedly find amusement from James' presence in them. This doesn't happen, as "Legacy" finds nothing creative to do with WB's characters.

Of course, "Legacy" attempts self-referential mockery that the filmmakers believe will allow them some meta hilarity. We get cracks about James' well-traveled NBA history as well as references to the first movie. All of these seem predictable and go nowhere.

"Legacy" believes that if it bludgeons us with WB characters and properties, we'll find amusement. We don't, as the utter lack of creativity makes this a slow, difficult movie to endure.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
Ive listened to three movie podcasts on this movie and the crazy things I’ve heard them say make me want to see this movie just for the absurdity of it.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Software Testing Training
Recent bookmarks