What's new

Space Battleship Yamato (AKA Star Blazers) gets a Hollywood Remake (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-09-07/newspaper-space-battleship-yamato-gets-hollywood-film/.78505

No, not the 2010 live action film - that one is an all different beast. No, this is an all new, american production. I hope this is as good as the Speed Racer movie was - and yes, I mean that completely seriously. Speed Racer was a GREAT flick, managing to be it's own thing while being very respectful of the original.So yeah, if it's as good as that was or Godzilla 14 was - I'll be thrilled.

By the way, in case you have no idea what I'm talking about. . . .

And of course the modern Yamato 2199 version:

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Derek Wildstar, Nova and all the rest, I have fond memories of them all. I'll be keeping an eye out for this one.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Getting Star Blazers back on tv so a little awareness is built up might be a good idea.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This could be fun, but if it's as "good" as Speed Racer I'll be waiting to catch it on Netflix.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
The whole point of the original YAMATO was to restore Japan's military greatness in an era (early 1970s) after Japan had been beating up on itself for years and young male audiences were ripe for some nationalist fervor, by using a famous sunken Japanese WWII battleship transformed into an intergalactic spaceship as a revival of Japan's military spirit and then a battle with an alien empire that duplicated several WWII battles, only this time the Japanese won. An American remake seems utterly pointless unless they go the other way and revive the U.S. naval battleship, the U.S.S. Arizona, which was sunk at Pearl Harbor and turn that into an intergalactic spaceship to go after an alien empire modeled after one of our enemies, then or now. I don't see any other way for this to work. And even then, the chances of it not working are astronomical. DRAGONBALL EVOLUTION, anyone? (And no, I'm not a fan of the Wachowskis' SPEED RACER, either.)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
schan1269 said:
Methinks lots of people missed the genius of Speed Racer. Proudly have the BD...with movies tickets in the case.
I didn't miss anything. Just didn't click with me. At all.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I liked Speed Racer, but don't know that I'd go "great" on it. :)

This remake will just be an action-adventure, I'm sure. It uses an existing IP for the same reason as all the others: a built-in audience (no matter how small or esoteric). I don't see why there'd be any attempt to recreate or translate the Japanese nationalist themes of the original.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
....again? How may times have they tried to get this lousy movie off the ground?

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Okay, let me qualify my great statement: it was a perfect for what it was trying to be, an adaption of Speed Racer. On that level, it was a great flick, about as faithful adaption of the source material as Popeye or the Rocketeer were (also criminally underrated flicks).

As for the Japanese imperialism themes, Yamato 2199 told a perfectly good story without hamfistedly beating you over the head with the Aesop. While I dont have much hopes for subtlety from any Hollywood production, it does show that the core story isn't dependent on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks