What's new

"Space: Above and Beyond" Best Buy exclusive - what's the deal? (1 Viewer)

Katherine_K

Second Unit
The set is bare bones, but the transfer is very good. That's pretty much to be expected from Fox. Comes on five DVD-18s in three thinpacks so the package is nice and slim. I don't have VHSs anymore but it FEELS uncut to me. At least I'm not noticing anything missing.

I don't have the vastly expensive HT set ups some here might have though, so I'll let others speak more on the video quality.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
I was totally surprised to see this on the shelf today. Only went to BB to get a printer. I love SAAB, but I had pretty much given up on it ever coming out on DVD. The DVDs look and sound a lot better than the tapes I've got. I really would have liked some commentaties or interviews with M&W though. Beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Unfortunately, I don't think Morgan and Wong do commentaries (or interviews) on their work from the past. They declined to participate in the Millennium: Season Two set as well. Though that could be more out of spite than anything else.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if Morgan or Wong explain how they were going to resolve the major cliffhangers at the end of the show???

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I've only watched the pilot episode so far but I'm very happy with the video quality. There is some grain and a little too much digital sharpening for my tastes but colors are solid and I was amazed at the black levels. Looks a lot better than most TV shows on DVD I've seen.

Josi

Auditioning
Yes, the ending was great and quite satisfying, even if it had that cliffhanger feel to it. This set is almost worth bying for just one episode in it. I'm talking about "Who Monitors the Birds?", the one with very minimal dialogue, where Cooper Hawks accepts a dangerous covert assassination assignment
. Great stuff from writer/creators Glen Morgan & James Wong.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

There's no re-release. Personally, I'd be shocked if there ever is, given the age and cult-only interest in it. Although it seems possible that they MAY change the image on the menu and that's it. :)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
It is not 5 DVD-18s actually. It appear to be 2 DVD-14s (one dual layered side and one single layered side) and 3 DVD-10s (two single layered sides). The first and last discs are the DVD-14s.

I nitpick therefore I am. :)

Regards,

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
I'm coming over to the States in October - New Hampshire - anyone know where there the local Best Buy is cause I want this set so bad...

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
Good news for everyone. According to Digital Bits:

"In other Fox news, the studio has officially set 11/8 as the wide retail release date for its Space: Above and Beyond - The Complete Series (SRP $49.98). The title is already available on DVD, but only at Best Buy stores until 11/8."

:emoji_thumbsup:

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
It looks like this set will actually be cheaper then the standard $40 that Best Buy has been charging for it.In order to compete with Circuit City and Target, they'll drop that price to around $35.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.