What's new

Space 1999 (1 Viewer)

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
Does these new releases of Space 1999 have the animated ITC logo at the start, as was originally shown when the series was shown on tv?

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The last word was from the Andercon event this year in April.

Apparently, someone from Network was there to introduce the HD premiere of "Bringers of Wonder, pts 1 & 2". When they got to the second part, the rep is said to have discussed the issues with releasing Series 2 on Blu-ray. The short version is that doing the HD transfers and the HD sound for Series 2 will cost more money than people thought. Network is still trying to crunch the numbers to see what they can do. But no real work has been done up to this point - aside from "Bringers of Wonder" and one bonus that was premiered at Andercon - a student film that went behind the scenes to show the making of some Series 2 episodes and interview cast and crew at the time.

Since A&E is dependent on Network to get their masters, no Region A release will happen until the UK release is ready.

As I understand it, the rep said that even if they work out the money issues this year, it will take another year before the Blu-ray set could hit the market. So the earliest you would see any set would be late 2015.

BTW I also believe that Network created VAM for Series 2 back in 2004 or 2005 when they did the Series 1 stuff. This is because they would have simply continued the interviews they had conducted with Anderson, Merton, Byrne and others to include what happened during the second year, which would have cost them nothing and have given them more "These Episodes" segments. If I'm correct that they did this, it means that we would have fresh interview material with Gerry Anderson and Johnny Byrne, conducted before they passed away. Based on what he said in the Fanderson documentary, I think it's clear what Anderson would have said, but it will still be interesting to see how Network puts this stuff together, provided that they can make a Series 2 Blu release happen.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Bummer. Too bad the "Space 2099" idea apparently isn't happening (at least not as of the moment. I have not seen any further news for quite a while), because that may have given the Season 2 remastering a shot in the arm, so to speak. Had been holding off on buying Season one on Blu in anticipation of Season 2, knowing that a complete series set would inevitably follow eventually. I probably will cave in and get Season one now after reading this. (Why continue to wait, of course, when one isn't sure just how long - how many years - one may be waiting?). I'm confident that there's enough interest in it that it will probably happen eventually.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Tom St Jones said:
Bummer. Too bad the "Space 2099" idea apparently isn't happening (at least not as of the moment. I have not seen any further news for quite a while), because that may have given the Season 2 remastering a shot in the arm, so to speak. Had been holding off on buying Season one on Blu in anticipation of Season 2, knowing that a complete series set would inevitably follow eventually. I probably will cave in and get Season one now after reading this. (Why continue to wait, of course, when one isn't sure just how long - how many years - one may be waiting?). I'm confident that there's enough interest in it that it will probably happen eventually.
Like you, I'm sure it will happen, it's just a matter of how soon. Hated to hear that AnderCon update: I was hoping that work on the remaining episodes was well underway, though I figured it's probably be really late this year (or next year) before we would have gotten them released anyway, so I guess that hasn't changed.

I'm glad the Year One episodes weren't this problematic. If both seasons had been this difficult from the outset, Network may have just said "forget it!".

Also, I'm glad there won't be an R1 without Network's involvement, as I trust them to have the remastering done properly. I don't have the same level of trust with A&E.

FWAJMB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Blosser
Kevin EK said:
The last word was from the Andercon event this year in April.

Apparently, someone from Network was there to introduce the HD premiere of "Bringers of Wonder, pts 1 & 2". When they got to the second part, the rep is said to have discussed the issues with releasing Series 2 on Blu-ray. The short version is that doing the HD transfers and the HD sound for Series 2 will cost more money than people thought. Network is still trying to crunch the numbers to see what they can do. But no real work has been done up to this point - aside from "Bringers of Wonder" and one bonus that was premiered at Andercon - a student film that went behind the scenes to show the making of some Series 2 episodes and interview cast and crew at the time.

Since A&E is dependent on Network to get their masters, no Region A release will happen until the UK release is ready.

As I understand it, the rep said that even if they work out the money issues this year, it will take another year before the Blu-ray set could hit the market. So the earliest you would see any set would be late 2015.

BTW I also believe that Network created VAM for Series 2 back in 2004 or 2005 when they did the Series 1 stuff. This is because they would have simply continued the interviews they had conducted with Anderson, Merton, Byrne and others to include what happened during the second year, which would have cost them nothing and have given them more "These Episodes" segments. If I'm correct that they did this, it means that we would have fresh interview material with Gerry Anderson and Johnny Byrne, conducted before they passed away. Based on what he said in the Fanderson documentary, I think it's clear what Anderson would have said, but it will still be interesting to see how Network puts this stuff together, provided that they can make a Series 2 Blu release happen.
Actually...the HD work must have already been performed on season 2 since Hulu+ has BOTH seasons in glorious HD.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I believe that picture work has been done, but not the sound in HD, and that's where the costs are at this point. Series 1 had already had the sound digitized before Network got involved. Series 2 didn't, so Network is stuck paying for it themselves. It's possible the hulu plus shows are using the old SD sound.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i would have looved to see cgi eagles.

some of the best episodes are:

breakaway
war games
the guardian of piri- that is maya from season two as the evil villain.
dragon's domain-perhaps the scarriest episode of the series.
force of life- Ian McShane is in the episode

season 2

SEED OF DESTRUCTION
THE BRINGERS OF WONDER
THE METAMORPH

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Andy, that's also possible.

I can't imagine Network having spent the money to do all the episodes' picture and then waiting on the sound.
The only two that they really did work on were each side of "Bringers of Wonder" and those were the ones they showed off at Andercon.
"Metamorph" as seen on the existing Blu-ray was a one-off that I believe someone else did in the mid-2000s, and the sound mix on that version has some problems.

It's important to remember that Network has not stated that they are abandoning the project. They could easily have done so at Andercon. Instead, they showed off the two episodes and the student film, and indicated that they are still trying to work out a way to get it done.

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
I call this: pure torture. It's going to make 4 years since the season 1 was out on Blu-ray. I figured then, it could take a year maybe two before we get the rest of the series. But no! 2014 is not even a possibility, according to what we hear. This is so disapointing. :(

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
MBrousseau said:
I call this: pure torture. It's going to make 4 years since the season 1 was out on Blu-ray. I figured then, it could take a year maybe two before we get the rest of the series. But no! 2014 is not even a possibility, according to what we hear. This is so disapointing. :(
I'm a fairly patient person, and I know I'm fortunate to be living at the height of the tech revolution. (Not to be overdramatic, but picture all those hardcore fans who've gone before who didn't live to see the show in high-def. One can only imagine they've each gone on to something as good if not far better). Still, 4 years is quite a stretch of time, and of course, next year is never promised to anyone. Torture indeed.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
How is the picture and sound on the Hulu HDs for Series Two?

(I don't have Hulu Plus, so I can't see for myself)

Does it look like they did new transfers of the IPs, or does it look like upscales?
And is the sound any different from what we already have on the existing DVDs?

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
Yeah! Can someone bring a screen capture here so we can see? I'm in Canada, so I don't have access to Hulu, unfortunately. I'd really like to see it.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
MBrousseau said:
Yeah! Can someone bring a screen capture here so we can see? I'm in Canada, so I don't have access to Hulu, unfortunately. I'd really like to see it.
Google "unblockus" if you're interested in getting access to Hulu and Vudu.

I've only seen a couple of season 2 episodes, but they seem to be about on par with the season 1 blu-ray - though more heavily compressed. But certainly not upscales. I can't speak to the audio - never had the DVDs.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My brother had me over his house last week. We watched "Mission Of The Darians". It has been well over 10 years since I watched that episode(when the dvd set was initially released from A&E). On his plasma set the picture was mind blowing, and we both are anxious for a season 2 set(I'm a huge fan of "The Rules Of Luton"). I'm telling you Space 1999 on a Blu-Ray with a decent tv(and maybe a couple beers) is one hell of an experience. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks