What's new

Space: 1999 (1 Viewer)

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
I was surprised to see that there are no threads covering the release of the first season on DVD. (Sets 1-4.) Or at least my keyword search produced nothing. Personally, I holding out for season 2, which has been confirmed.
------------------
SAM

Mark Wolverton

Stunt Coordinator
It took a while for this show to grow on me. I watch it some but I don't know if it is a series that I will collect.
------------------
Mark W
"I like to watch."
Chauncy Gardner - Being There -

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I know what you mean. I remember it being spooky, but nonsensical. I really liked Maya, the shape-changing alien. And the ships looked pretty cool. Anyway, I'll probably get the second season when it appears on DVD. The first season was way too wacky.
------------------
SAM

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
If you thought Season One was silly, just wait until Season Two!
I've been renting these (fortunately, Lazer Blazer in LA has 'em to rent) instead of buying, which I did with Monty Python and The Prisoner. They bring back a lot of memories, but are a lot slower and clunkier than I remember (partially because about 10 additional minutes out of every episode was cut out of the original U.S. syndicated run to add in commercials).
The caveman one I watched earlier tonight was extremely goofy, but Set #4 (which I hope to rent over the weekend) has "Dragon's Domain," which scared the living shit out of me as a kid. I can't wait.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
[The episodes] are a lot slower and clunkier than I remember (partially because about 10 additional minutes out of every episode was cut out of the original U.S. syndicated run to add in commercials
I remember a second season-episode where a character gets bombarded by some kind of radiation and slowly turns into a monster. He has some kind of peculiar property that makes him deadly to our friends on Moon Base Alpha. Eventually, he flies out into space (his choice).
I recognized that episode as slow and clunky episode when I first saw it as a wee young'un; but that quality seemed to increase the sense of isolation and loneliness the character may have felt as he slowly became less and less human. Though I am sure it was an unintentional by-product! Man, I'd love to see it again.
Be sure to post your thoughts as you progress through Set Four!
laugh.gif
icon14.gif

------------------
SAM

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Update: received an email response from A&E, the folks who are putting these out. Unfortunately, I could not confirm a release date for the second season. The message was non-specific, but seemed to suggest next year.
------------------
SAM

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Has anyone been replaying these episodes on TV? I was surprised that SciFi didn't get the rights. It would make for some wicked insomniac late night viewing. I still have what's left of the old Eagle space ship toy. That thing was way cool and was the envy of even my lucky friends who had the Millenium Falcon (lucky suck-ups!). I liked the show in memory, but I don't know how many would still "hold up" upon viewing as an adult. Though I must admit that Maya was an early TV crush. A friend has this old ring-bound "tech manual" from the show that has an episode guide. Many of them rang a bell, but nothing really clear. It was like acid for children. There was one that I want to see, though...I don't remember the title, but it had the crew of Alpha running into these apparently hip looking and all around nice aliens. Except one of the Alpha crew could really "see" what was going on due to a head injury (or something) and he could see that they were nasty gross aliens who were devouring the crew one by one. Nifty and spooky.
And come on, who didn't want one of those nifty mini-tv communicators!
Phil

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Si Fi did own the rights along with UFO a few Years Back, but they've abandoned playing alot of the older series for new stuff. Nothing wrong with original Series, but these old shows should be played on the weekend at least

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Has anyone been replaying these episodes on TV? I was surprised that SciFi didn't get the rights.
You know, I think that SciFi did have the rights in the mid-90s. ('95? '96?) I remember setting my VCR on Sundays (or Saturdays?) to tape the show. Then they pulled it, and I was pissed, because I discovered too late that they were airing the show. Sent off an email, begging for it come back. But no go. I'm glad that they're coming out on DVD....
icon14.gif

------------------
SAM

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks