1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

SPACE 1999 SECOND SEASON DVDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin McCorry, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Kevin McCorry

Kevin McCorry Stunt Coordinator

I've just received the Carlton R2 Season 2 boxed set of

Space: 1999 and have sampled all episodes. If A & E uses the exact same transfers, these discs will far outshine the first season discs. All episodes are rich in color and detail and look absolutely pristine, and the episodes that came out unsatisfactorily on laserdisc are some of the most impressive in this set. "The Beta Cloud" is quite possibly the best DVD presentation I've seen yet. Color and contrast are outstanding. "The Metamorph" and "All That Glisters", dark and washed out on laserdisc, are among the most unblemished of color in the set. And the two-part "Bringers of Wonder", never before on disc, looks excellent as well. And these are on my player's NTSC conversions from PAL. Assuming A & E doesn't dilute these transfers, they have reference quality TV-to-DVD product for next year- that is if R1 DVDs will be coming. Having said that, I may opt to just stick to the R2 DVDs because of the animated menus and extra features alone- not to mention the subtitles! Space: 1999 with subtitles is a wonder to behold. And I look also toward buying the R2 Season 1 set if its quality is comparable.

One question though. Is there a layer change in "A Matter of Balance" as alien Vindrus is identifying himself and his planet of origin to Shermeen? My player freezes for a second at this point. A minor quibble, though. These are the best

transfers to DVD of TV product I've ever seen, and if they come on A & E of the same quality, collectors won't be disappointed!

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Let's hope they do use the same masters, as these sound far superior to the okay but highly aliased R1 season one discs. Looking forward to seeing Mia after all these years....[​IMG]

3. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

You and me both Jeff[​IMG] !

4. Kevin McCorry

Oh, there's some shimmer in places, like over the

star charts in "All That Glisters", but the colors

are so rich and the picture so sharp that the

shimmer doesn't seem that bad. Besides, it may be

caused by player PAL-NTSC conversion and not be

inherent in the transfers themselves.

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

If it's minor, that's fine, but there was an abundant amount whenever a grill would be on screen in the first season, which was pretty distracting. I haven't seen season 2 in decades, so it will be a hoot to have these available again.
    Now where the hell is Battlestar Galactica? [​IMG]

6. Kevin McCorry

There is some shimmering on Eagle passenger module grills

and on some of the exterior Alpha shots in "Journey to Where". But the more I see of these discs, the more impressed I am. All of the (to me) more objectionable flaws of the first season DVDs are nowhere in evidence here. No shifting or incorrectly tinted colors, no black-and-white shots of the Lunar surface, no faded colors, no film scratches or grain, no screen-distorting video dropouts, no excessively dark scenes. Just gorgeous, pristine quality. For A & E to muck up these transfers, they'll really have to try.

One thing I'll mention about the extras. In on-location

interviews during "A Matter of Balance", Martin Landau

in full costume and smoking a cigarette talks about science

fiction while a production crew member behind him in clear

view of the camera picks his nose at some length. Not

discretely but the full penetration and finger rotation

followed by an all-to-evident chewing and ingesting of the

nasal substance while Landau in front of him talks away

completely unaware. Unintentional hilarity.

7. Kevin McCorry

Well, after closer inspection of all of the discs after the euphoria of having Season 2 on DVD has worn off, I've come across the inevitable blemishes in the transfers. Here's a run through of all episodes.

"The Metamorph"- immaculate print, gorgeous colors

"The Exiles"- another very nice print, though some darkening of lower screen during scene cut transitions

"One Moment of Humanity"- color glitch during credit for F. Sherwin Green; otherwise very good

"All That Glisters"- color glitch as Tony is carrying rock into Eagle, some color glowing on left side of screen as Reilly is examining rock fluid through microscope; some close-up shots on planet blurry; shimmering over star maps

"Journey to Where"- shimmer over Moonbase exterior, opening theme slightly cut off at beginning

"The Taybor"- weird color flashes during episode title sequence most noticable over credit for director Bob Brooks; shimmer over Moonbase exteriors

"The Rules of Luton"- extremely vivid and colorful print; close of opening theme and start of episode sounds muffled

"The Mark of Archanon"- footage deleted of Pasc opening his eyes and starting to rise from cot in Medical Center, so that scene jumps slightly; print otherwise good though beginning of opening theme trimmed

"Brian the Brain"- beautiful purples and yellows; blurriness through most of episode, caused by excessive edge enhancement?

"New Adam New Eve"- no evident problems save for a tinny sounding closing theme and opening theme images lower on screen than normal

"Catacombs of the Moon"- some scenes soft- edge enhancement again?

"The A B Chrysalis"- shot of Moonbase during opening theme too blue and some trimming to first note of opening theme

"Seed of Destruction"- very nice print; no problems

"The Beta Cloud"- excellent

"A Matter of Balance"- some Moonbase scenes seem unnaturally yellow and temple interiors a bit dark

"Space Warp"- rather soft in places

"The Bringers of Wonder: Part 1"- no evident problems save for the opening theme's beginning being cropped

"The Bringers of Wonder: Part 2"- darkening of top of screen during shot transitions can be annoying; otherwise good

"The Lambda Factor"- color glitch when Helena is telling John to face his ghosts; colors during climactic scene in Command Center seem a bit faded

"The Seance Spectre"- no evident problems

"Dorzak"- stunning colors though there is a slight shift between scene of Dorzak hugging Maya and Tony ordering Sahala returned to detention, and scene of Dorzak gaining telepathic control over Maya is trimmed; we don't see her running and stopping

"Devil's Planet"- excellent print

"The Immunity Syndrome"- aside from obvious layer change between hook and act 1, excellent

"The Dorcons"- another beautiful print with no apparent problems

8. Kevin McCorry

One additional observation. In "The A B Chrysalis" as the Eagle is being descended to the planet's underground, there is serious audio dropout spanning this whole scene.

By the way, A & E's planned release date for the first two sets of Season 2 R1 DVDs is February 26, 2002.

9. Kevin McCorry

Have just purchased Carlton's R2 set of first season discs and following is the comparison of those with the A & E R1

discs. The relevance of this comparison is to predict the relative quality of the second season discs coming from A & E.

Although my Malata refuses to play the special features of disc 3, the playback is otherwise without flaw and PAL-NTSC conversion is of a quality at least equal to or superior to the A & E NTSC transfers. There is none of the blurring in "Death's Other Dominion" that has been noted in the A & E version. And most importantly, the incorrect B & W shot at the start of A & E's "Last Enemy" is not repeated in the Carlton R2. Said episode is fully in color. Also, the vertical film scratch through the rock sample disintegrator scene in A & E's "End of Eternity" is also not there in the R2. Nor is the dreadful 7-frame, screen-spanning dropout at the 50 minute mark of A & E's "Another Time, Another Place".

The flaws that are consistent across both versions: B & W Lunar surface shots during titles for "Force of Life", a film scratch in "Missing Link", the overly orange tinting of "Dragon's Domain" and dark print of "Testament of Arkadia".

Carlton's episode summaries on the disc boxes are inept and

there are uncanonical character bios (saying that Bergman, Morrow, and Kano were killed, etc.) and Moonbase history as extra features on some discs. But at least Carlton retained the proper Space: 1999 signatureship and avoided A & E's lame use of B & W photography. The summation is that I'm more pleased with Carlton's release technically than A & E's, and if the same outcome can be expected with Season 2, the only enticement I'll have to buy A & E's discs is extra features not on the Carlton discs and more extensive than faded photos. There are blemishes unique to A & E's transfers, and for that reason it's fair to assume that we can expect A & E second season discs with more, not less, flaws than the R2 Carlton. It'll be interesting to read the first reviews, that is if one can bear the inevitable attacks on every aspect of the second season's production.

10. James Landau

James Landau Stunt Coordinator

I would like to urge everyone who is buying the Space: 1999 sets to write to the address above and voice your support for the inclusion of Message from Moonbase Alpha in the final set. If you are unfamiliar with Message, complete info can be found here. All messages received will be forwarded by Scott to A&E/New Video who have shown interest in trying to license this short as an extra. The more support we show for this, the more effort A&E will put into obtaining the necessary licensing for its release. (Message is NOT included in the Carlton release of Year 2.)
    Finally, I'd like to note that A&E/New Video has now offered Scott an option to stay on for UFO, CAPTAIN SCARLET and other projects. That's great news and I hope he accepts their offer. Scott's attention to detail and quality is most appreciated.

11. Kevin McCorry

Thank-you, James, for the report. Guess we'll just

have to wait and see. Where A & E is concerned, who

knows what to expect? All I can say is the first season

discs put out by A & E were sub-par and in every way

inferior to Carlton's.

12. Kevin McCorry

I see that AandE.com now has Sets 5 and 6 available for order, with pictures of the slipcovers. Again, color shots of Landau and Bain against black-and-white photos. While the images of the show's leads are appropriately second season, the background picture for Set 5 is of the first season's "Black Sun". On the outside, these discs don't look to

be much of an improvement. Space: 1999 was produced in full color and should be presented as such in the packaging and on the menus and in the episodes themselves. Are we going to see more Moonbase exteriors in B&W in the episodes?

13. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I was pretty underwhelmed by the quality of the menus and the supplemental photos on the first season. If it doesn't get any worse on the second we'll be lucky.

14. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    The A&E site has a release date of 1/29/02

Are these really coming out 1/29/02?

15. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I'm pretty sure the first set got bumped to March, with the second batch in the fall due to the remastering. We would normally have seen the review copies by now if the release was that imminent.

16. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Want Mega-Set... that is all. [​IMG]

17. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

According to Image, sets 5 and 6 have a street date of 2/26. Yeehaw!

18. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

So for me, it sounds like hold off and see, because maybe they will remaster the 1st season???

Anyways, great news to hear about the possibility of UFO!

19. James Landau

James Landau Stunt Coordinator

A&E's consultant, Scott Bosco, now has his review of Set 5 up on the DigitalCinema site. It looks like he plans to add Set 6 to the same page at a later date. The review is a little brief, but hopefully Scott will expand upon his comments when he adds Set 6. Initial comments are very encouraging and the screen grabs look amazing. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on these discs!

20. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Hey James your not related to Martin are you

Anyhow encouraging news the screen grabs do look good. I rememeber growing up and watchin the shows on WPIX out of New York. They were the only stations showing the 35mm prints verses the 16mm the other stations ran. They looked great then, but these screen grabs look pristine. I can't wait. Now I'm hopefull for UFO !