What's new

Space: 1999 Season One on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
Not being an american, nor a british consumer, I am concerned only about getting the best set for the money. Besides, if season 2 ever make it to blu-ray, it will still be available in the country were the show originates first. I can't see why it would be out in the United States before UK.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by MBrousseau
I can't see why it would be out in the United States before UK.

LOL, i have wondered this many times about American shows that seem to get released everywhere but the US.

The Six Million Dollar Man, was until this month, such a show. So, anything is possible.

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
You have a very good point. But as long as Space:1999 is concern, the British TV viewers were the first to have witness the new HD restoration of both seasons 4 years ago and they will be the first to get it on blu-ray. I could bet 10 pounds on it!

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
Well, according to this report (http://www.atvnewsnetwork.co.uk/today/index.php/atv-today/4235-no-plans-to-release-season-two-of-space-1999-on-dvd), there will be no Network Blu-Ray of Series 2. Unless A&E releases it on an independent initiative, it seems the A&E DVDs are the best there ever will be for the second season.

There is no following to speak of for Series 2 in the U.K.. That being the case, Network's decision makes sense from a business standpoint. Support in North America isn't exactly robust either. Nobody ever stands up for it.

I think it highly unlikely there will ever be a Series 2 Blu-Ray set. Anywhere.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
No series 2 means season one on blu gets backburnered until its on clearance or A&E announces a NA release. I have enough unfinished TV series already, and with the exhorbitant pricing for S1 it can wait.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I'm willing to bet that the sales of season 1 will determine if there'll be a Year 2 release. If sales are impressive, I don't see how they can avoid undertaking the work required to bring year 2 to Blu-ray. In the short-term, I'll be buying the year 1 UK Blu-ray package (awaiting a price-drop) since it does contain the 1st episode of year 2 in HD as a bonus.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know Year 2 was not prepared for HD in Britain. It is only fair the Britain's get Space first!

While I can see Year 2 was much less popular, it would be a shame to not see it out on blu-ray. There was a couple of pretty good ones.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer

No series 2 means season one on blu gets backburnered until its on clearance or A&E announces a NA release. I have enough unfinished TV series already, and with the exhorbitant pricing for S1 it can wait.

But per that vaunted fan movement "wisdom", Season 1 is a finished and complete TV series, and second season doesn't exist. Second season fandom and positive audience reaction to second season in the show's heyday has been invalidated and is either denied ever to have existed, or if it did/does exist, to be limited only to simple-minded juveniles, mentally deficient adults, or totally delusional "flakes". People who stand up for Season 2 are bullied, portrayed as defective, and given a thorough thrashing. Not that I'm agreeing with any of that, mind. But that's the spin that has been put on things these last 20 years or so.

Once upon a time (pre-the-late-1990s) Space: 1999's 2 seasons were distributed as one series, like the 1967-70 Spiderman's different seasons are, like Doctor Who's different incarnations are, and so on. After that, the series' 2 seasons were divorced, and Space was reduced to first season, and, as we see, only it gets to be put out in HD. Network has had 5 years to remaster second season for HD but opted not to do so. Why? Because it's perceived as having no U.K. following? That's a logical conclusion. Mind, it's also quite possible that people at Network personally don't like it and based solely on that have opted to neglect it. And if so, this must really be a first. Even the JNT Doctor Who seasons are given equal consideration and treatment to the other Who seasons.

Of course, it is possible that A&E might just put the 2002 DVD transfers out on Blu. ...

Jerome

Second Unit
Netwokd has nothing to do with the HD transfer, it's Granada who owns the series, who has decided not to remaster season 2

Originally Posted by Kevin L McCorry

Network has had 5 years to remaster second season for HD but opted not to do so.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I'll pick-up the second season DVD's. Back in the day, I got sets 1 through 5. So that leaves 3 more sets to get.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
Or Granada. Doesn't much matter one way or the other. The end result is still the same.

Originally Posted by Jerome

Network has had 5 years to remaster second season for HD but opted not to do so.
[/QUOTE]

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
Wait a minute! Jerome and Kevin: you said that season 2 have never been broadcast in HD? What makes you believe that? I'm asking because I have a contact in France that just told me he watched Season 1 AND Season 2 recently on a French HD cable channel called NRJ12. They both aired with the original french dubbed all cleaned up with a very nice HD picture quality but in the 16:9 ratio (widescreen)

He adds that he would have prefered the original 4:3 ratio. There was a Granada logo before every episodes. So if season 2 aired in HD in France, why do you think the United Kingdom couldn't broadcast it? No one from Great Britain on this forum that could shed some light on this?

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
An interesting revelation, for sure. And very strange that the second season would be shown on HD in France, where it's loathed more than in any other country. France's 1999 fans are the most bellicose in their opposition to Season 2's very existence. Odd too that the broadcast was in 16:9. I thought it was argued, perhaps on this very forum, that Season 2 is ever so patently unfit for such a filmic presentation. ... But if your contact is correct, Martin, and HD Season 2 transfers do exist, then it goes back to Network for persistently refusing to release it on either DVD or Blu-Ray. Maybe A&E might be able to do so, if those HD prints do exist for all 24 episodes, and in 4:3.

16:9 might benefit the second season, actually, as a lot of the boom mic, visible production team, and clapperboard bloopers would be lost.

Originally Posted by MBrousseau

Wait a minute! Jerome and Kevin: you said that season 2 have never been broadcast in HD? What makes you believe that? I'm asking because I have a contact in France that just told me he watched Season 1 AND Season 2 recently on a French HD cable channel called NRJ12. They both aired with the original french dubbed all cleaned up with a very nice HD picture quality but in the 16:9 ratio (widescreen)

He adds that he would have prefered the original 4:3 ratio. There was a Granada logo before every episodes. So if season 2 aired in HD in France, why do you think the United Kingdom couldn't broadcast it? No one from Great Britain on this forum that could shed some light on this?

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
I contacted my friend from France who recently told me that he saw both seasons of Space 1999 in HD with a french dub. This time I asked him for specific details about the broadcast. Here's what he told me this morning: Season 1 did aired on the HD cable channel with a HD video material and a widescreen presentation just like in England. Then, The Metamorph aired still in widescreen HD but every next episodes from season 2 were shown still in widescreen but in a non-restored version, meaning in SD.

He adds that the broadcast of season 2 didn't look nearly as sharp as season 1. That's why he believes, like you Jerome and Kevin, that season 2 has not been restored in HD yet. The broadcaster wanted to continue the 16:9 ratio mode for the continuity.

I'm sorry for the ambiguity I created in my earlier post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks