1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Space: 1999 Season One on Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Kevin EK, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

That's pretty funny Kevin! And I think I remember hearing that too.

Since this show appears to actually be coming to the USA on blu ray, I can't help but wonder if The Thunderbirds might be coming too. I've read some reviews of a blu ray set that came out in the UK and is on Amazon UK's site. But it's only flaw is that it was cropped for 16:9. Perhaps that project's desire to fit the new screen format has influenced Space: 1999. The Thunderbirds review was very positive for the image quality, with the caveat of the cropping

2. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Producer
    Reviewer

I have noticed that the announcement on the Network DVD website in the UK says that they will be presenting the eps in full 4:3. If the A&E US release is identical other than packaging, as we're hoping, then we're in really good shape.

3. Nelson Au

Cool. I read on another forum the flak they got for cropping The Thunderbirds to 16:9!

4. SilverWook

SilverWook Cinematographer

Bill
    Series Two is always a love/hate thing for me. Maya is lovely, but the show got goofy. As a kid, I was confused and dismayed at Victor Bergman's vanishing without even a hint of his fate mentioned onscreen. And the talking plants episode is probably the "Spock's Brain" milestone of the entire series, thanks Mr. Freiberger!

Still, if they release it on Blu, I'd probably buy it.

In it's early incarnation, MST3K did one of the "movies" cobbled together from series two episodes, and had a field day with it!

5. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    And you know what I'll take the goofy dialog and cheesy aliens over any of the reality dreck spewing from tv these days, Bring on Season 2

6. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Producer
    Reviewer

Some of the reality shows have even funnier dialogue. And even cheesier aliens, come to think of it...

7. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

"We are from the planet Jer-Zi Shur. We come in peace. We require one of your Earth tanning beds and the substance you call hair gel."

8. Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers Supporting Actor

I am glad to see the love on this thread for this often maligned show. I like the first season better than the second.

When 1999 was on in the 70's, they paired it up with Star Trek, so the 2 shows are always linked in my mind.

Looking forward to the blu rays.

9. SilverWook

SilverWook Cinematographer

Bill
    There were rumors of a sequel series floating around several years back, but I guess nothing has come to pass.

10. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Odd. I bought the remastered PAL set, (looks fab) but this show was shot at 25fps. When they looped the dialog however, that was done at 24 fps so anytime there was looped dialog, the pitch was up a bit. How are they gonna do this for North America? Our BD players can't do 1080/25P. Are they just gonna slow it down to 24? If so, the on set dialog will sound a bit lower pitched but the looped dialog will finally be correct.

11. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

I'd say it'll be just like The Prisoner and encoded at 24fps for both regions.

No way would A&E release their set at 50hz anyway, given the almost universal incompatibility here in the US. 1999 has always been a mixture of 24 and 25 dialogue, so it's really hard to say what exactly the one, universal correct run-speed for this show is (if there, indeed, is one).

12. Nelson Au

I was going to say, given how The Prisoner blu-ray turned out, I wasn't concerned about frame rates.

13. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    You're going to get cropping, whether the transfer is 4:3 or 16:9 because of all of the extra image area that was added for overscan, it's just going to be on all four sides for the 4:3.

14. Jonathan Kaye

Jonathan Kaye Second Unit

Jonathan Kaye

Agreed that 24fps is the highly likely outcome. Personally I'm fine with that, as I'd rather have some dialogue slightly slowed than having other things sped up (not just dialogue but also music, particularly the theme music, which to my ear is at the right speed on the old region 1 DVDs (i.e. at 24fps)).

15. Nelson Au

Regarding cropping, what is interesting is that when the original Star Trek was re-issued on blu ray, I could see it was definitely re-cropped and it showed more image area all around. I compared actual film clips, I scanned them and overlayed with screen caps of the older DVD's. I could see a lot of space around the image that wasn't used.

I'm inclined to believe the older Star Trek DVD's were cropped as they were originally aired. On the blu rays, there is one episode where this new cropping was a mistake. You could see the plywood edge of the bridge set where as it wasn't visible before. My guess was so they could crop the image at 16 x 9 later on.

Based on those screen caps above of 1999, it does look like they cropped the image to show similarly additional amounts of image all around.

16. RickardL

RickardL Second Unit

Regarding my post earlier with the screenshots:

I did have a look on my Netword SD version and the first screenshot is misleading.

The white panel behind Bergman looks a lot better, more like the HD-version.

The first screencap is way too much boosted for some reason.

Here is one I made just now from my PC (WinDVD) from the UK Network release:

And here is the equivalent HD capture:

17. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Producer
    Reviewer

Some new information has come to light today.

The Network DVD website has a pretty extensive list of the extras for the Blu-ray set, which goes beyond what was on the SD set - including a high definition copy of the Season Two premiere "The Metamorph".

Amazon has a smaller list of extras up.

According to The Digital Bits, Network DVD is saying the UK edition will have more extras. And we can see that the UK edition will be 8 discs while the US edition will be 6 discs. The speculation is that this means less extras, but I think it could also indicate that the different releases have different internal layouts.

Both releases appear to use the same HD transfers, as well as 5.1 sound mixes to go along with the original mono mixes. The Gerry Anderson commentaries from the Network DVD release and the music-only commentaries from that release are on both Blu-ray sets. Looks like many featurettes will also be shared between the two. I have a feeling that "The Metamorph" is not on the US edition, nor are some of the more esoteric materials - like the PDFs of the scripts and the annuals that the UK edition holds. Time will tell...

18. Nelson Au

Thanks Kevin. It will be interesting to see what the UK edition get that the US edition won't get. I was hoping there would have been more stuff on The Prisoner BD set.

19. Jerome

Jerome Second Unit

20. Nelson Au

What is interesting is the one extra of Martin Landau and Barbara Bain doing an intro to the series from 1975 at KRON. That's the local San Francisco station and former NBC affiliate. I remember seeing that!

November will be a pricey month! So many cool releases then.