What's new

SPACE: 1999 Season 2 Coming To Blu-Ray! (1 Viewer)

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
And really, those A&E S2 DVDs still look mighty good upscaled. Still not crazy about the audio quality of the early episodes, though. But what can we do? We few who quite appreciate S2, to the derision of those who would stick out their tongue.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'd wait to hear more from Bill Hunt before throwing in the towel. Based on his post, he called a bit higher in the food chain than the customer service person reached by the poster quoted in that thread.

I'm very happy with the SD discs I have of Season 2, and I would be equally happy to pick up Blu-rays of the second series, provided that they are as generously supplemented as the first series was.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
Well, we're in the long silent phase in this cycle. Eventually, someone will post some new item about there being no plans to release Season 2 on Blu-Ray, and we'll go thru the whole thing again. The put-downs of S2, dredged-up Landau slamming of S2, the denial that S2 has any fandom or any chance of ever being released, and so on. I venture some comments. And someone has a go at me. Says I should be ashamed of myself, or some such thing.
Then, Bill Hunt says the BDs are still coming, but not for yet another year or two. I say I don't believe it, everyone says wait and see, and the thread goes silent again.
Okay, let's see if I can trigger the next routine phase in the cycle. Does anyone have any word to the effect that there's not a snowball's chance in hell that S2 is being worked-on for BD?

SimonTemplar

Stunt Coordinator
My understanding is that the entire ITC library has been remastered in HD already. As all the shows were made on film (mostly in 35 mm) then they have a longer shelf life and are still popular. The forward thinking spirit of Lew Grade lives on.
I believe we will see S2 of Space 1999 released sometime. I can't imagine it being top of the list for release in the UK, but I believe we will see it. Network will have the rights to do it in the UK and, if and when they do release it, I'm sure A & E will not be far behind.

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
It is indeed very painfull to talk here about desiring Season 2 in blu-ray for, let's just say, complete the series. As for Network or A&E, I repeat that they should make an international release, that means putting many foreing languages on the blu-ray edition. This way, they can manage to produce a single edition and distribute the discs for a wider market. How about the usual French, Spanish, German and Italian dubs on those disc. It's should be cost-effective. People around the world is crazy about that series ans especially season 2 for some reason. People around 50, like I am, are just waiting about it. Worldwide fans of TV series are often turned down when their favorite TV shows they grew up with isn't available in their own mother tongue. I wish they would be more business open minded as welll as fan sensitive.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
We are out of the someday stage.

Bill Hunt posted an update at The Digital Bits today about Series 2 on Blu-ray.

He says that Network will be putting together the set, as they did with Series 1, but that it is taking longer to work out issues about the cost. According to him:

"Essentially, here's deal: When Network (which does all the production and remastering on the BDs under licence with ITV) went to produce the Season One set, they discovered that all of the mag tracks (that make up the audio on the first season episodes) had already been digitized, so the company didn't have to take on the cost of doing it themselves in order to create new 5.1 audio mixes for each episode (in addition to the original mono). However, those tracks haven't been converted yet for Season Two and the high cost of digitizing this material has caused the budget for the BD production to become quite expensive. Network has informed me that they're definitely committed to releasing the season on Blu-ray and they're talking with ITV and New Video about the best way to make it happen affordably while ensuring that the set is of the same high quality as Season One. As with that set, Network will transfer all the episode film elements in full HD for remastering and hopes to find additional film material in the archives as well (outtake material and the like) that they'll also scan in HD for inclusion on the set. Of course, they again plan for the audio to be available in both 5.1 and the original mono. That said, the time needed to work out these details and complete the work properly means that Season Two will likely not street on BD until late next year or early 2014. In any case, rest assured that it's coming... just not right away. Adjust your plans accordingly"

So it's another 12-18 months off, but they are still planning to do it. It doesn't sound like any work has been done yet, but it does sound like Network wants to do the set, which is different from what I had previously thought. And of course, once Network completes the set, I would think that A&E would license it for the US market, as they did with Series 1.

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Thanks for the update, Kevin. That's good news! :)
I like how the consumer gets the choice to listen in original mono, Ala the Dr. Who dvd releases.
It would be most interesting to see what outtake material shows up.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, this will quiet down the naysayers for a bit (those who kept insisting that this would never come out on Blu-Ray).
Considering that the show was produced in mono in the first place, I'm of the mind that I'd rather have it now than have to wait a couple years (or more) for the various companies involved to go to the time/expense of making a 5.1 mix. Oh well, at least we now have "horse's mouth" word that this is being worked on and hasn't been left behind. Hope they can find the cut scenes from (or the original expanded print) of "The Metamorph". Any other cut scenes would be gravy!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Kevin, encouraging news! Though I find the second year lesser to the first, it's still nice to see this likely coming out. Wish it was sooner though.

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
Thanks Kevin EK!
I sent a email to Mr. Hunt yesterday to thank him about the encouraging news update. He wrote me back saying he's just as excited as we are. He believes that my suggestion about having several foreign dubs on the blu-ray is a good idea but that could be a problem for Network since the rights for the series might be owned by different companies in different countries. That could be difficult to negociate. :(

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
MBrousseau said:
having several foreign dubs on the blu-ray is a good idea but that could be a problem for Network since the rights for the series might be owned by different companies in different countries. That could be difficult to negociate. :(
Yes, it could be difficult, because the show's DVD release was handled by many different companies outside of the US and UK, many of which may still have the "rights" to their country and may not appreciate A&E or Network having their native-language version for sale, as that could cannibalise sales of their release if they have one planned.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Just read the news that Gerry Anderson passed away. He had been in declining health for some time - the result of Alzheimer's Disease, which had apparently accelerated in the last few months. He was moved to a care facility in October and just passed.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Do they have any Plans on a UFO release to Blu Ray, this series Pops on DVD and would look so good in Hi Def, I can just feel the Purple Wigs now !

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It's getting close to 2014, thought I'd bump this thread in case anyone heard anything new.I've been researching any chances of blu rays for Thunderbirds. I see there's a very expensive set from Japan recently released, and in OAR. And the reviews are that it's excellent, but I was hoping for a lower cost version sometime soon aimed for the US market.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Looks like there's finally light at the end of the tunnel!

Network video (UK) announcement

This link says that it will be released in Autumn 2015, so we've still got several months to wait, but at least they've now set a date. At the same link above, they're releasing a stand-alone blu-ray of Bringers of Wonder for those who can't wait until then!

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I caught this at Digital Bits as well.

The Bringers of Wonder Blu-ray will also have the "Destination Moonbase Alpha" version of the eps as well. Not sure what other extras have been included.

According to Bill Hunt, the Network set will include a bunch of extras, but no details have been listed yet. I believe they will include the BTS material that was screened at Andercon this year, along with the rest of the interviews conducted back in 2005 for the Network DVDs at that time. If we're lucky, they may also have a commentary or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks