1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

SPACE: 1999 Season 2 Coming To Blu-Ray!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by SWFF, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I was about to post the question, but Paul, are you saying Space: 1999 Series 2 is not available for Region A?

2. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

I don't think so, that is why I finally bough the region B release.

Randy Korstick likes this.
  3. paul pisano

paul pisano Stunt Coordinator

paul pisano
    according to tvshowsondvd.com they are not going to release the series due to the fact much work and money has to be spent to fix the season 2 masters.

4. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    But the work is done. Back when A&E released season 1, it was just a straight issue of the NETWORK set. Other than A&E breing pretty much out of the classic TV business, why would this be any different?

5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Me too and the complete series blu ray set on region B is very reasonably priced. They did a great job re-mastering each season for blu ray.

Bryan^H likes this.
  6. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    Because it seems television shows sell poorly on disc these days, especailly on blu-ray.

7. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I get that, but the idea that there's too much work to be done seems like an outdated reason at best. I have a region unlocked player, so what I have is great, but it would be lovely if it was made available to the US. The restoration looks amazing. It does look better than year one, but I think some of that is because the series was brighter in year two. The episodes were less moody and the lighting and colors were more vibrant. But either way, I love how they turned out. This is my third favorite TV series ever and I love the second year as much as the first. Just differently.

Bryan^H likes this.
  8. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

I think Paul might be quoting an old article (written years ago) which stated the reasons why Network (and A&E) didn't release a Year Two set on the heels of their Year One release.

Since that time, the US rights have passed on from A&E to Lionsgate (I think. Technically, the US rights were with "New Video", who released through A&E. I think New Video's arragement with them passed on to Lionsgate).

The more I think of it, part of the reason for the delay from Network might also have been that without A&E/New Video as a releasing partner, they had no one to help foot the bill...Network were on their own.

As you say, Scott, now that the work is already done and paid for, saying it's "too much to be done" isn't right, so I'm sure Paul is reading an old article written before the work actually got done.

All that's really needed is a new releasing partner, but as has been said, finding one interested enough it going to be the challenge. I'm pretty sure the Lionsgate DVD sets are OOP as you cannot find them anywhere online now (they use the same art as the A&E sets except they have the proper Space: 1999 logo on them).

Bryan^H and Tony Bensley like this.
  9. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    If Network did the transfers for the second season themselves, then Lionsgate might have to pay to use those transfers for their own release and the price might be too steep for them.

Randy Korstick likes this.
  10. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal was with the Year One release, whether A&E/New Video ponied up part of the costs, or it was rolled into the licencing arrangement. Also, not as much restoration had to be done (the audio elements for the Y2 episodes had to be worked on a whole lot more...I think the audio tracks for Y1 were pretty much ready-to-go from the start), so that was a lot more time/cost that Network had to outlay.

11. Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    I have the 17 DVD megaset that A & E released some years ago. I'm just going to stay with that set, the discs play fine in my DVD player although they show obvious signs of disc rot, some look worse than others. Seems to me that A & E used poor quality DVD media for this set, probably used the cheapest discs they could find. I have other DVD sets released by different studios, these sets are also several years old and those discs still look fine with no evidence of disc rot, while the Space 1999 DVD's from A & E have that milky/cloudy look with stains on the playing surfaces. Not good.

12. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I have the A&E 17 disc 30th Anniversary Megaset. Mine look pristine and play with no issues.

Darby67 likes this.
  13. Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    Maybe your set has a better batch of discs compared to mine. With my set, at least the discs are still playing so I'm glad for that.

14. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I just pulled out my 30th anniversary set and a number of discs have the cloudiness you mention. I’m running the first disc to check to make sure it plays.

15. Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    Sorry if you are having similar issues, hopefully you won't encounter any playback problems. I suspect that A & E used inferior quality DVD media for some of these sets.

16. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I have them on Blu Ray, but the main titles for Breakaway were standardized in the restoration. Originally, the text in the montage was against a black background, but the HD restoration made the background blue like the other episodes. So, I at least want to have Breakaway preserved in its original form...

17. paul pisano

paul pisano Stunt Coordinator

paul pisano
    i will say the season 1 blu looked outstanding imho.

18. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I have the 30th Anniversary Megaset too, I picked it up after getting the Series 1 Blu Ray. I never opened the megaset. I have the earlier A&E sets but got this set as a back-up as it didn’t look like the Blu Ray of Series 2 would ever come out. This discussion had me curious to check the mega set. I pulled 2 discs out, and they look brand new still. No cloudiness. The Infernal Machine and the Metamorph. They play OK fortunately. I haven’t seen a series 2 episode in a long time. I think I like the first series better still. This first series certainly had some of the very best art direction and effects at that time. But looking at the Series 2 episode, it dates more then the first Series. I mean the second series looks like the 1970’s. The first series feels more timeless. The miniature work though is terrific for both series.

I imagine the only Gerry Anderson series sets we’ll see in the US is the first series of Space 1999 and the already released Thunderbirds set.

19. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    The second year was a bit more 70's (even tho the bell bottoms were there since Breakaway). The colors pot, the hair is longer and the music is more contemporary. Even some dialog:

"Move it, Maya! Move it!"

"John! LEAN ON IT!"

"The John Koenig Philosophy: if there are chips on the table, we're still in the game."
    "Right on!"

The Derek Wadsworth music is amazing, but plays so much better on album than it does on screen. The series was, at this point, already hyper-kinetic, so having screaming saxophones over dutch camera angles and somersaulting stuntmen really kicked it over the top. Often the music would be wildly distracting. However, on CD, it's amazing music. Really energetic and super fun. I can't get enough of it.

Barry Gray's scores, however, while working fantastically in the first year, don't resonate with me for repeated listening on CD.It's brilliant, but I really need to be in the mood.

Year two was "dumbed down" 1999. It was action and adventure and fun, but little substance. This does nothing to take away my love for it. Landau keeps me glued to the set, Catherine Schell is wonderful as Maya and even Barbara Bain wakes up and does some good work. When she's not whining or screaming annoyingly (see Space Warp for some really bad screaming),

20. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I agree, but hold out hope that UFO gets a release here.