SPACE 1999 Question

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Joey Gunz, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Joey Gunz

Joey Gunz Second Unit

Can anyone tell me if the DVDs have English subtitles or if they're closed captioned? Thanks.

2. Steven_J_H

Steven_J_H Stunt Coordinator

Steven
    A&E megaset version had neither.

3. Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore Second Unit

That is correct. No captions or subtitles on the A&E release of 1999. It's disappointing since there are occasions when I watch some tv shows on DVD with captions or subtitles.

4. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    There's no excuse, for big companies (like A&E) not to include subs, it ought to be managable and mandatory in this day and age with today's favorite video format. It's inexcusable, no subs make DVDs appear VHS-like cheapish.

5. Ben King

Ben King Stunt Coordinator

No subtitles on the UK remastered release of "Year One" either, I'm afraid.

6. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    Yes, that's the new release from Network, excellent remastered picture, but no subs. The first R2 release, from Carlton (now ITV), does include subs, I have it.

7. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I seem to remember that there was a remastered version coming out in R1 as well...has it and does it have sub's?

8. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

no plans as of yet for R1...

9. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

That is A&E's release from Carlton's masters, not Network's. You may be thinking about the A&E bonus disc, which contained three remastered year one episodes that were in rather poor shape on the original R1 sets, and also contaned the sequel "mini-episode" Message from Moonbase Alpha.

Hmm. If the Carlton sets had subtitles, wonder why A&E's didn't, as the work was already carried out...

Also, the Carlton sets (which are now out-of-print in the UK) got a Region 4 (PAL) release in Australia. No idea if they're subtitled, but if you can play PAL discs and need the episodes, they're dirt cheap: Both year one and year two boxsets are priced at US$17.17 each plus shipping at FBO.co.au, making the whole set a mere $34.34 plus shipping. I think the R4 sets are direct ports of the R2s, so if those were captioned, these probably are, too, and would undoubtedly be way cheaper than the R2 versions, especially as those are out-of-print anyway.

10. Joey Gunz

Joey Gunz Second Unit

Well that's very disappointing. And very surprising. It doesn't make any sense to NOT include subtitles or closed caption on DVDs. I feel bad for the fans who are deaf or hard of hearing.

Thanks for clearing things up for me everyone. I won't be getting this set. [​IMG]

11. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    The R2 Carlton/ITV sets may be OOP, but can still be found on Amazon UK, etc.

12. AndyMcKinney

Yeah, but the R4 Australian ones are likely way, way cheaper, and they're new.

13. BobSchneider

BobSchneider Second Unit

hmmm not surprise Im a huge fan of patrick mcgooians "secret agent" aka danger man in the UK released by A&E in the US and alas no closed captioning. It comes in handy understand all those british folks with their funny accents , lol or when I want to keep the sound down at night . A&E used carltons capture on secret agent.

14. Wezzo

Wezzo Second Unit

Perhaps slightly off-topic, but I hate when sets don't include subtitles. Looks like Warner have gone down that route with their TV-DVD sets now, a lot of their recent sets haven't included English subtitles. [​IMG] It's even more annoying when they abandon them mid-series; according to the back cover, S4 of Fresh Prince won't have them either, while S1-3 did. Closed captions are of little use to me in the UK - is it really that much effort to get sets subtitled?

15. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    Sure, but the issue is whether they're subtitled or not.

16. AndyMcKinney

For all intents and purposes, they're direct ports of the R2 Carlton sets, which someone above me said were subtitled.

Doing a little bit of research on an excellent fansite, a look at DVD comparisons (by region) bring me to this menu shot (at http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...dvdaumenu1.jpg) from the Australian set. As you can see, there is a subtitles option. The review even notes "menus are identical to Carlton release."

For a closer look at the Aussie discs, go here: http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m.../vmvdvdau.html

I think that should resolve that issue, hopefully. The only in-print DVD sets with English subtitles are the R4 Australian ones.