What's new

Space 1999 now on Amazon Prime, Comet TV (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Back to Space 1999. I watched this in first run, and even at the time found it one of the cheesiest, poorly acted cheaply made TV sci-fi series ever created. It really is only bested by “The Star Lost” and the tv series of “Logan’s Run”.

I love my country, but Canada just can’t make TV shows! That’s why almost everybody here watched US shows exclusively.

We sometimes hear about a Canadian show that is wonderful or hilarious and is sold all over the world. We last about 2 episodes.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Back to Space 1999. I watched this in first run, and even at the time found it one of the cheesiest, poorly acted cheaply made TV sci-fi series ever created. It really is only bested by “The Star Lost” and the tv series of “Logan’s Run”.

I love my country, but Canada just can’t make TV shows! That’s why almost everybody here watched US shows exclusively.

We sometimes hear about a Canadian show that is wonderful or hilarious and is sold all over the world. We last about 2 episodes.

Season 1 had some great episodes--are you talking the second season? Because that was pretty cheesy.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Sorry to those who like the show, but I remember Martin Landow and Barbara Bain being compared to zombies by a reviewer who wondered what happened to their acting ability.

I also remember the special effects almost being on par with “Supercar” and other supermarionation shows.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I also remember the special effects almost being on par with “Supercar” and other supermarionation shows.
Naturally since the show was produced by the same company.

As cheesy as it may have been, if you take into account the era in which the show was made, the special effects were pretty darn good! They had ships taking off and landing with actual exhaust! And the model work was astounding for the budget!

It just lacked solid stories and scripts. And when Fred "Series Killer" Freiberger took over the second year, the show was completely doomed.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I loved Space: 1999. Of course, there's a lot of nostalgia involved there, since I was a kid when I first watched it, so re-watching it as an adult, I was far more forgiving of its flaws than if I'd come to it new. And yes, there's only one season... although Maya almost makes S2 bearable...

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
2 Episodes on the weekends back to back starting at 10pm and it looks like they are padding them to 75 min probably showing them uncut, just have to get all the sad dog commercials and lawyer commercials, if you use the Apple TV app you won't have to watch the commercials

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I've had them on 'in the background' the past few Saturday nights. You are right, there's an awful lot of commercials.

I wasn't paying close enough attention to them to know whether they were unedited or not (some of the episodes I know so well that I'd be able to detect an edit if I were watching closely enough).

I guess I've not really paid attention because if I really wanted to watch them to be paying attention to them, I'd pull out the blu-rays.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
As I've said, there's no season 2 of Space:1999 just like there's no season 3 of Star Trek:TOS.

Let's see how long it takes for people to get it! :D

I got it as soon as you said it! There are a fair amount of Year One fans who won't have anything to do with Year Two.

The younger me (the nine-year-old who saw this first run, and who didn't see the show again until around age 15) preferred the pulpy action of Year Two, while the older me preferred (prefers) the more stylistic and cerebral Year One.

I do still see merit in both seasons, even though---apart from cast---they seem like two almost totally different TV shows.

Last edited:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
As cheesy as it may have been, if you take into account the era in which the show was made, the special effects were pretty darn good! They had ships taking off and landing with actual exhaust! And the model work was astounding for the budget!

The effects were impressive enough for George Lucas to try to hire 1999's SFX director (Brian Johnson) to do the FX for Star Wars. He couldn't though, as he was committed to Year Two of 1999, so when Lucas got his team together, he told them "our effects have to be at least as good as those on Space: 1999."

Incidentally, when 1999 got cancelled, Lucas hired Johnson to work on Empire.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
It just lacked solid stories and scripts.

Then there was the framing story:

1. An explosion blew the Moon out of orbit – instantly accelerating it to a speed many times that of light.

2. Despite the speed at which the Moon was now moving, the Moon base residents had time to briefly visit each civilization they pass. Using sub-light shuttles – shuttles that would logically have had no way to catch up with the Moon to make a round trip.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm gonna have to check it out. That show was so cheesy, I even recall it being cheesy at the time, when I was about 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks