1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Space:1999 Complete Series from SHOUT FACTORY!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ScottRE, Apr 11, 2019.

1. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I reached out to Shout Factory and asked for a partial refund for just the globe, and if that's not possible, for the whole thing. I don't expect that to be doable, so I will be happy to send it back and pay a lot less for the set on Amazon.

2. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    I’m curious,

In what way is the snow globe unsatisfactory?

3. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    I've started going through the set and the episodes look amazing. I'm on disc 3 at the moment. I'm watching them in order so I haven't checked out any season 2 episodes yet.

I did pop the bonus disc in and watched a few of the interviews. The one with Barbara Bain is kind of flat. Nothing really interesting or revealing. The Nick Tate interview is a bit more meaty and he was always one of my favorites on the show so it is nice to hear him talk about the show. The Catherine Schell remembering The Guardian of Piri episode is fun but way too short. Why they didn't get a more in depth interview from her is beyond me.

The Sylvia Anderson interview is the best. She has no problem dishing the dirt on Martin Landau. Too much fun. From what she says, Barbara Bain wasn't the prima donna on the show. It was Martin. Makes me wonder if he didn't act the same way on Mission: Impossible. Hmm.

5. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    There are reports of differences in the color between the Network/A&E set and the Shout! Factory set. I did an A/B comparison and there is a difference. However, I'm not sure I dislike it. Actually, the Network looks a little bluish to me where the new set looks more natural. I would love to post screenshots, but I don't have a blu ray drive.

6. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Maybe the fellow who runs the excellent Catacombs website will post a comparison.

7. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    That site is amazing. I revisit it often

8. Mike250050

Mike250050 Auditioning

Michel
    Hello I would like to ask the fellow members of Home Theater Forum please if you can help me about Space 1999 Shout Factory Bluray.I would like to know for those who has viewed series 2 episodes on Shout Factory Bluray set about the picture quality and original mono sound track.How is the picture quality of the series 2 episodes on Shout set?Is it as good as Network series 2 bluray set release in 2015?My second question is about the original mono track sound I would like to know if the mono track is fine and if it is the same as Network mono track on the series 2 set released in 2015?Your comments,opinions are most welcome.Thank you so much!

9. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Well, I’m watching them in order so it was going to be a while before I got to the second year. However, for you, I put in Journey to Where for an a/b comparison.

The Mono soundtrack seems to be identical. The SHOUT set defaults to mono where Network defaults to 5.1.

The picture quality on both is excellent, however there are very subtle color differences. Network seems to be a little brighter and with a very light tint. The SHOUT seems more natural to me. Until I did the comparison, I didn’t notice a difference. Also, I am not the slightest bit dissatisfied with the picture quality. I think it’s excellent. If you’re considering making the purchase see you can have it in this region format, I would say go for it. I do not regret my purchase.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  10. Mike250050

Mike250050 Auditioning

Michel
    Hello Scott,Many thanks for the informations about Shout Factory set your help is very much appreciated.I will follow your advices.

ScottRE likes this.
  11. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    I have the Network Season 2 set and the new Shout Complete. I haven't watched the Shout yet, but when I do I'll post some screen grabs from both for comparison if someone hasn't beaten me to it.

ScottRE likes this.
  12. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    I’m more interested in the U.F.O. set they’re working on.

B-ROLL likes this.
  13. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I do too. I just compared the two and to be honest it is a waste of time as they look identical to me. Fantastic picture, and sound.

14. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    Season Two screen captures from Space 1999.

Episode Six - The Taybor

Network
    vlcsnap-2019-07-30-11h30m33s500.
    Shout
    vlcsnap-2019-07-30-11h32m32s807.

Episode Seven - The Rules Of Luton

Network
    vlcsnap-2019-07-30-11h49m56s499.
    Shout
    vlcsnap-2019-07-30-11h48m25s362.

15. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Shout seems a little darker, but really I don’t see a difference enough to note. Some people have been complaining about color changes. But I don’t see much

16. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

I've heard complaints about the 5.1 sound on the Shout! version. Apparently, they must've tinkered with the 5.1 track (rather than porting over the Network version). Here's what's been said on DigitalBits (from Shout! themselves):

“As Space 1999 was originally produced and aired in mono, we have made the mono track the default audio option for experiencing our Blu-ray release. We also created a 5.1 track for our release as an alternative for fans who want more of a surround-like experience. The surround track was created from the best sources made available to us and in some instances differs slightly from the original composition of the mono track. We believe that this will not markedly affect the experience of the show to people viewing it in this mode.”

One wonders why they tinkered with it in the first place.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  17. Message #97 of 105 Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

As I understand it Network did the original 5.1 files. Some disagreement seems to be going on now whether the rights to those went back to Granada/ITV and they lost them/couldn't find them or if NETWORK still owns those rights.

ITV apparently gave SHOUT the Mono that they had and referred Shout back to NETWORK to get the 5.1 work. NETWORK refused to help or requested a large sum of cash in exchange.

Some of this is coming from a person who apparently has had loud and major disagreements (including legal threats) with Network and their management in the past so I'm not sure how much is purely accurate and how much is filtered through some major trust issues

B-ROLL likes this.
  18. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I absolutely appreciate them making the mono track the default. For shows of this vintage, I always listen to the mono track. Even the UK version of the surround sound never sounded right to me. They were not filmed nor broadcast in surround sound originally. So I have absolutely no complaints over the quality of the sound or picture of the Shout blu rays.

B-ROLL and rjd0309 like this.
  19. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I am running through Shout! Factory’s blu-rays in order. I haven’t seen the entire series in strict order probably since they originally aired. I’ve grown up with the series and always enjoyed both years. The stylistic changes never bothered me… Until now.

I was really quite used to the understated, dramatic and more mature atmosphere of the first year. After the final episode, I jumped right into The Metamorph and it really hit home just how different and strange it was. Three original cast members were gone without explanation, the sets were much more cramped and new people were suddenly in prominent roles. While the dropped cast didn’t really bug me, it really struck me that this new guy was suddenly second in command and very important…but we didn’t even learn his name until well into the episode!

While I get that ITC or Fred Freiberger just wanted to get on with it, Dr. Russell’s “Moonbase Alpha Status Report” (which were usually pointless Star Trek ripoffs) could have easily mentioned all of these changes, “Moonbase Alpha Status Report. We have finally completed our move to the relative safety of the underground Command Center. After our recent tragic losses, we are happy to see Security Chief Tony Vedeshi has settled into his new position as second in command. However, one of our recycling plants has failed due to…..”

It actually took a few episodes to adjust to the new format and this is from someone who has been used to them for over 40 years!

Just kinda weird to feel this way.

B-ROLL likes this.
  20. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    According to the special features (on the Special Features disc) on the Shout! Complete ... it came as a surprise to the actors as well.

As to why they didn't 'splain anything, I suspect they would not necessarily have known what the first "aired" Space episode might have been ... Kind of like airing Classic Trek "Man-Trap" before "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (of course that was a decision forced by the fact the effects for Trek weren't coming in as quickly as needed to have the new cast/uniforms shows ready for air.)

Honestly, on the initial run, I pretty much gave up on Space 1999 show midway through the first season. (Near as I can the moon poops "eagles". As they seemed to loose so many eagles and come back the next week with even more...:unsure:)

I've only watched the first episode from the Shout! blu-ray set. I believe the Andersons were going for a bland utilitarian feeling for the show. "High Contrast" in the words of Brian Johnson. I would say what I say looked like an improvement over the OTA version I saw back in the day. And it was better than the ones that were run recently on Comet. (I suspect the Comet versions were manipulated to more resemble other 70s shows that were set up to show off Color TVs).

I checked out my Johnny Quest blu-ray set and the colors really pop on that set. Space 1999 ... not so much. The Network produced special features seem to show a bit more color-rich clips that the series as it appears on the disc (at least for the first episode).