1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Space:1999 Complete Series from SHOUT FACTORY!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ScottRE, Apr 11, 2019.

1. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    BB had more issues than that IMHO ;)

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  2. johnnybear

johnnybear Stunt Coordinator

John
    Not that I have the UFO Blu but the sepia footage of the UFO taking off back in 1970 was done as to not disrupt the footage of the episode that people might not understand! Why the UFO was in colour while the rest of the scenes weren't has always been beyond me!
    JB

3. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Maybe they had to hike it up a little so she could do that "high kick"? This was for a series of publicity stills, after all.

That definitely goes along with everything I've read on the subject. Maybe Bain already knew of Frieberger's thoughts on the show's two leads ("they should be younger people").

I'm sure you're probably aware the reason for the recasting was due to the months-long gap in production, and several of the actors from the first block had found other jobs by that time. Probably the reason for no explanation was the fact that episodes (for the most part) had to be airable "in any order", so the fewer episodes that had to air at a certain point in the run, the better.

4. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    this is a relief. I'm working through UFO, taking way too long and S1999 was going to be next after done. I'm worried the dvds are rotten like some others in my collection. NOw I don't have to worry. otherwise not sure I'll upgrader or not. i don't even know how the dvds look.

5. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I think I read in the Making of Space:1999 book (Tim Heald) that Koeng was supposed to be in his mid-30's in the 2nd year, even though Landau was obviously in his upper 40's. That was most likely Freiberger's doing, keeping the leading man the same age Captain Kirk was 10 years earlier. The same guy who considering Dr. McCoy to be Kirk's contemporary even though he was at least a decade older.

Yeah, I do get that, but Virginia Lake just "appeared" (even though she had a cameo in the first episode) and was immediately familiar with Straker. They made no attempt to explain her, where they went out of their way to introduce Foster, which was probably not necessary considering this series brought in and removed characters without mention. Just a line of dialog ("Col. Lake took over for Alec Freeman last month") would have been fine and not totally confused the audience it was aired out of order. Sadly, Lake wasn't allowed to have a personality, where Freeman was at least the human side of the SHADO management. Straker was 100% the job, totally cold and impersonal. Freeman was the softer side, the one with some doubts and humanity. Lake didn't take that over, she was just as serious as everyone else. That was part of my problem with UFO. It was cold. The heroes weren't allowed to be human. Too many episodes were about the one-off guest stars and when the end credits rolled, nothing really changed. The episodes that worked were those that opened up the characters; obviously "A Question of Priorities" was amazing, "Confetti Check A-Ok" was also splendid. When the series became more high concept, it really worked for me: "Reflections in the Water" and "Timelash" were my favorites.

Space:1999 built on that and was more appealing to me. Martin Landau was a more approachable lead, who used a kind of nervous energy, and while Barbara Bain was a tad wooden at times, when she did open up, she was very good (she was a whiny crier, though and Landau couldn't shout without screaming). The stories were more involving to me.

6. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

I guess they figured "we've already had to do that once (with Foster), let's not bother doing that again, or the local stations will not be happy!" It just seemed like SHADO liked to rotate their crew members from assignment to assignment (Foster and Lake taking various turns on Moonbase, Nina Bary in an episode on Skydiver, Gay Ellis in an episode on Earth), etc.

As you say, though, a lot of the characters are wooden (people used to poke a lot of fun, given all the Andersons' previous TV shows were with puppets), but this was their first live-action TV series, and I'm sure what they learned here only benefited Space: 1999 (even though a lot of the same criticisms were levelled at that show, too).

7. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    1999 wasn't quite as bad with the woodenness, but sometimes the scripts in the first year didn't give them a lot to chew on. Most of the time, they were under a lot of pressure, but sometimes they would have some moments of levity ("The Last Sunset" and other episodes where they had hope of a better life). At least the second year addressed that, but almost too far in the opposite direction.

8. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    We're six weeks away from the release and Amazon still doesn't have a blu-ray listing. Very frustrating.

9. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Sam Favate likes this.
  10. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Just as with the From the Earth To the Moon link, simply going to Amazon and typing the title in the search bar brings up nothing. Thanks for the reminder, ordering this now.

11. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    If I must re buy S1 to Get S2 I'll wait for a Shout sale

12. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yeah I double dipped looks like a nice set

Mysto likes this.
  13. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    In today's TV 0n DVD New Round-up the extras for Shout's Space:1999 have been announced and. . . .the Message From Moonbase Alpha is not included. Here's the link to see all of the extras:

https://www.facebook.com/tvshowsondvd/posts/10157084152496063

Looks like if you want the Message extra you'll have to hold onto that old A&E Megaset.

14. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Also aren't porting over the "year one" version of Seed of Destruction. It was just a "what if?" sort of thing, but I loved it. So I guess I'm keeping my UK set...

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  15. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I have the Year One Blu Ray but I’ll order this set too so I’ll have the second year.

Im not a huge fan of this series, but a fan still, I thought the first year was stronger. I screened a bit of The Metamorph and it was as I remembered it. Magnificent miniature effects work, but I wasn’t as enthralled by the new direction of the series. I did eagerly watch these whenever they would air it in 1976. In school everyone would say how much better it is compared to Star Trek. I was the one who was the Star Trek is better guy. :)

16. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Total bummer on Message From Moonbase Alpha. I've already for safety reasons ripped my copy to my hard drive for extra security!

17. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I, too, have always been a "Star Trek is better than Space 1999" guy. I first saw Space 1999 on a local PBS station while in college in the early 70s and liked it but felt Landau & Bain were somewhat miscast which lessened my enjoyment of the series. I like it much better now than back then but still have that same opinion of Landau & Bain. I have a DVD set but there's a part of me that really wants the BR one - and I have it pre-ordered from Amazon.

18. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Oh, yeah, I'm firmly in the "Star Trek is better category", but I adore this series. Watching it in the 70's on Saturdays, Star Trek at 6 followed by Space:1999 at 7 was just joy for this 10 year old. I love both years equally, but in different ways. As a kid year one was "the weird season" and year two was "the action season."

My top 3 all time favorite show order goes:
    Star Trek
    Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
    Space:1999

BobO'Link likes this.
  19. johnnybear

johnnybear Stunt Coordinator

John
    Space 1999 is always a must have in my house! Although the original Star Trek is in that category as well!
    JB

20. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott