1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Space:1999 Complete Series from SHOUT FACTORY!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ScottRE, Apr 11, 2019.

1. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    UFO as well! Good that saves me the trouble of getting the UK set. Woot!!!

Darby67 likes this.
  2. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Is anyone but me going to notice there is a "9" missing from the title of this thread? Calling all mods...

3. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Yeah it’s been noticed. After I posted it. And now I can’t unsee it

4. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa

Pass on the globe how about just season 2 for those that have the S1 blu’s

5. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Wow, I didn’t expect this.

Darby67 likes this.
  6. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

let's hope they fix the one remaining error that's on the UK blu-ray (a brief section of non-flashback footage that was accidentally sepia-tinted in "The Long Sleep"). The previous German and Japanese DVDs had other, more serious errors (mainly day-for-night shots being improperly graded, and a scene that switches to 16:9 briefly).

The HD masters for UFO are not as good as the Space: 1999 ones. They are older and (I think) were done for HDTV broadcasts, so they weren't done to the same high standards as the BBC Resources work on Space: 1999.

Darby67 likes this.
  7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I am planning on buying this release! Have never owned this tv show on any format so once I pick up this title I may also pick up the original Battlestar Galactica and the rebot of BSG!

Darby67 and ScottRE like this.
  8. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I'm glad I already have the great UK complete series on Blu Ray and it was very cheap. I didn't expect Shout to get these and they are consistently too expensive with their releases.

Darby67, SAhmed and BobO'Link like this.
  9. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Yay, thanks mods for fixing the title of this thread. Sorry about that!

I have the A&E blus and the Network UK blus, but I am still so down for this. My top three shows of all time are

Star Trek The Original Series – a perfect melding of action/adventure and (mostly) intelligent SF

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea – the ultimate in fun, schlock SF

Space:1999: kinda combines the best of both.

The first year was sober and philosophical, with amazing touches of horror and metaphysics. It didn’t answer every question posed and some things just happened because “space is f’n weird!” Some duds in there, but really great stuff for the most part with beautiful music. It was a fantasy: the power to shove the moon into space at that speed would have destroyed it and killed everyone, but it was presented so seriously, I bought it.

Year two rolled around when I was like 10. So, it never bothered me that characters vanished, jackets appeared, the control center got smaller and monsters showed up. It was so much fun and exciting, I hung on every episode. Catherine Schell was wonderful as Maya and even though her powers were not well thought out, I enjoyed her immensely. The years have not dulled my love of this series and I can say that I honestly love year two just as much as year one. Just for different reasons.

Triple dipping year 1 to get year 2 on a US region BD release is no issue with me.

And I get the snow globe! :banana:

Darby67 likes this.
  10. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I hear ya, that error with the sepia tone gave me pause for UFO. I still would rather they keep it as it was originally.

Darby67 likes this.
  11. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    Yeah, that figures. I just bought it on DVD. Oh, well, it was only $20.

Darby67 likes this.
  12. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I'm excited about that one too! I'd never seen UFO before purchasing a copy of the newer DVD release. I purchased it simply because it was a prequel from the creators of Space 1999 which I saw in syndication in the 70s (and then finally, again, on DVD) and really liked.

Darby67 and ScottRE like this.
  13. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    If you do get the original Battlestar Galactica make sure to purchase the US "Definitive Collection" or the region free UK "Complete Original Series" as those contain the original 4:3 versions. The US "Definitive Collection" has both 4:3 and WS versions included. The US "Remastered Collection" is WS only - cropped, sometimes pretty bad, and is to be avoided. You can sometimes purchase the UK release for less than from a MP vendor on Amazon US (where it's already quite reasonable) - it's been as low as £19.09 + shipping ($32 or less).

14. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    The widescreen Galactica isn't just cropped, it appears to be zoomed, as well. I think they just took the 4:3 masters and zoomed them in to fill the 16:9 frame, then did some additional digital tweaking. You can see a clear drop in detail compared to the 4:3 versions.

15. David Norman

David Norman Producer

I think the best thing to call the 16:9 is just botched -- too many things wrong with it to even bother worrying about it.

BobO'Link likes this.
  16. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    There's a blue tint as well. It's awful. The only reason I watch the pilot in WS at all is because it has the original commercial break cuts to black. The full screen is kinda "movied" up and removes them.

17. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Hey ScottRE,

Thank you for bringing up the original Star Trek series as I need to get that as well!

ScottRE likes this.
  18. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    I'm not sure I'll upgrade my UFO set. I think the series kind of went nowhere. The first episode was great but then if just kind of got bogged down until the last 10 episodes or so. The show spent too much time just spinning its wheels. I liked that we didn't get the alien's motives spelled out but kind of left it as a mystery. However, too often the show got stuck in run of the mill, mundane plots. I didn't need to learn something about the overall invasion each episode, but there could have been more than what we got. I never really got the impression that the aliens were all that much of a threat after the first episode. Again, it did pick up near the end of the series but it was too little, too late. I liked it, but not enough to upgrade. The A&E set is just fine for me.

I think Space: 1999 was a more sophisticated show compared to UFO. Space: 1999 seemed to be more adult. Well, at least the first season did. The second season...well...it got a little more...simple (to put it kindly).

19. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    As I recall her major powers were fitting into a tight fitting uniform ...
    [​IMG]
    Cue ZZ Top ;)

20. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Maya was never to wear skirts that short on screen. From what I’ve heard, Barbara Bain had issues with anyone being more glamorous than her. Once joining the cast, Ms. Schell was not permitted to ever appear as herself in one of Maya’s transformations. I wouldn’t be shocked to hear BB kept Schell from displaying much leg. I had a massive crush on her as a wee lad, so I was always looking....

As for UFO, I enjoyed it, but yes, it was a fairly dead end series and too serious and grim for its own good. Anderson fans tend to give Year 2 of 1999 crap for dumping beloved characters without explanation, but UFO dropped a few prominent regulars during the break midway and brought in Wanda Ventham all without a word of explanation.

I don’t even know why they bothered to introduce Foster in his own episode.

1999 was a more enjoyable series for me but UFO could be fun in its own spooky way.