Spa (Hot tub) thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Greg_R, May 3, 2004.

1. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I'm in the market for a new spa (hot tub w. jets). Shockingly, HTF has only had 1 other thread on this topic. I've been poking around at poolandspa.com and visiting various dealers. If anyone thought buying HT equipment was tough, try looking at spas! There are no standards and at least 50+ companies (20 or so seem fairly reputable). I've visited various showrooms (it's just like a car dealership, inc. the sales pitch and salesman) and tried out a few brands.

Unfortunately, there aren't any decent forums for hot tub info. Poolandspa's is about the best, and it's filled with dealers / technicians, so I can't be sure the info I'm getting is legit. Who out there in HTF-land has a spa that they really like? So far, the Marquis brand has been my favorite (yes, I've "wet tested" it). Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Unfortunately, my first spa was not so nice. It really didn't have any nice features and we paid alot of money for it. We just moved into a new house and are getting a new spa. We decided on the Hot Spring Spas brand. I liked it the best because the price/features and the seemingly better build quality.

The one we are getting has 5 filters in it and has a seperate pump to circulate the water when not in use. My old spa would just use one of the main pumps at a low speed to circulate. It also only had one filter.

This is the one we are getting delivered hopefully in a week or so: http://www.spasandtubs.com/spas_envoy.html

3. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

ok lets start here. I sell spas and pools in my town

marquis spas are kinda looked at as VERY high maintenance.
    I always recommend Leisure Bay. THey have one of the best warranties and have so much less maintanence.

Master spa is also very good. One of the best, Check out the legend series. Very good product[​IMG]

BUT STAY AWAY FRoM TV/SPA DUALS!!!!

How many people are you looking for?
    Do you want bench or lounge seating?
    How much do you really want to spend?

Good luck!

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Thanks guys.

Could you elaborate on this? In terms of chemical treatment, the cartridges do all the work (I just adjust/check ph once a week). Cartridge replacement (mineral & bromine) is done about once a month. Servicing the pumps, light, or electronics involves removing a cover plate.

I have heard of Master spa but not Leisure Bay. Marquis is additionally appealing because I live very close to the factory and their main showroom (i.e. good dealer support).

5. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I've had a Sundance Spa for 5 years and it's been great. Not a single problem. The Hot Springs spas are also nice.

6. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

We just got a Sundance Optima about 6 months ago, and we really love it. When we were looking, I did checking on the net, and it seemed that Hot Springs and Sundance were among the most reliable brands. Then my family wet-tested both of those, and they liked the Sundance the best (I didn't really care about the "feel", just wanted my wife to be happy).

The other main thing that sealed the deal toward Sundance for us is that Hot Springs only has 110v models, so you can't run the pumps and heat at the same time. They will tell you it doesn't matter, but do you really think water will stay warm if you are outside in 30-some degree weather for an hour with the pumps going? Not in my experience. The Sundance we got was 220v and we put in a 60amp breaker, so it can run both pumps on high, run the bubble-blower, and heat, all simultaneously.

Also, not sure if there are any women involved in your decision, but most people start out thinking they like the lounger. However, most women, when they wet-test a lounger, find that they can't stay in it, but rather float up out of it. This happened to my wife, also, and immediately that feature went off of her want list! [​IMG]

Anyway, that's my $0.02.