SP2 Slows Computer...Thinking of Re-Installing XP: Opinions

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chuck C, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I think someone on this forum said they reinstalled XP after installing service pack 2and now their computer is blazing fast. Anyone else do this? Is it a wise move? Do all the windows updates (incl sp1 and sp2) get saved when reinstalling XP??

Also, I recently installed Mcafee VirusScan about the same time I installed SP2. Could that be causing the slow performance instead?

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Any virus scanner can cause slow performance if it is actively scanning for viruses on every file that is opened.

SP2 hasn't slowed down any of the dozen computers I've installed it on.

3. Harold Southard

Harold Southard Stunt Coordinator

4. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

thanks for the replies...I turned off the AV and worked at my computer for a while, and it was def. slowing things down quite a bit.

5. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

How did you turn off the AV? I have definitely noticed a slowdown since installing SP2. Perhaps this would help me?

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Interesting, to say the least. You can get SP1 and SP2 on CD, and they are both free, even the shipping.

SP1 had 2 CD's, one being for a free AV & firewall trail. I'm guessing that with the high-speed connections, you've (and that is you in general) had everything installed without noticing that you were getting a free trial for those?

Maybe that would explain the errors people are getting after installing it. I've also skipped any Window Media Player updates, because I don't use it. I know that had some errors before; is the ner version working ok?

I just thought I'd ask to hopefully try and pin down the complaints. Maybe SP2 is (ha, ha) error-free, but screws a system up because an AV/firewall system has already been installed.

Glenn

7. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

richard-t:

i just exited out of it thru the toolbar

8. you would be doing your computer a favor by re-installing the OS to flush sp-2. i havent heard many good things about it from anyone i know, nor from my experience thus far with it, if anything good ive heard about it.

9. Wayne Bundrick

I believe there's a silent majority of SP2 users who have successfully installed it and have nothing to complain about.

10. EricWilliam

EricWilliam Agent

Wayne, me thinks its an OVERWHELMING majority...i also have a feeling most "problems" with SP2 can be contributed to ah, shall we say, ah "user error"

11. Wayne Bundrick

It's also difficult to judge the overall success of SP2 against the ongoing constant noise from Linux grinders and others who have nothing nice to say about Microsoft.

12. Don't forget about the mac people.

Just to clarify, I'm not totally bashing on sp2, although i doubt i install it unless i am presented with a really good reason. Most of the problems you will see are concentrated to certain areas. Most people will not see the problems.

13. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    No problems at all using SP2 here...nor have I heard problems reported by friends or family who have SP2...me thinks there's a minority of folks who have issues with SP2, not a MAJORITY. [​IMG]