What's new

Soylent Green is ... (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Just what exactly IS soylent green anyways? I've heard it mentioned in the simpsons, or futurama or something, but i dont know what it is... :confused:

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
"You've got to tell everybody!" What a film. It's been a few years since I last saw it ...

(peripheral spoiler reference):
... and changed my diet. Ocean plankton indeed ... I know better!

John Watson

Screenwriter
I've just had the thought, that its the logical successor to the pod people in the original INVASION of the BODY SNATCHERS. :D

Anyway, its almost the last film on my sci-fi want list, having got FAHRENHEIT 451 recently ...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
This film practically epitomizes '70s cult sci-fi', in my book! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

And we get The Omega Man on the same day! Gah-hmmm! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Praise Warner!

Gordy

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Soylent Green is a good Hollywood Sci-fi B-movie, but a very bad adaptation of Harry Harrison's "Make Room! Make Room!"

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
once you know the 'shock' ending, does the film still have any appeal?
i like Chuck Heston, and i like 70's era movies, but i'm hesitating on it since i already know the ending.

does it offer anything else of interest?

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I knew the ending when I first saw it all those years ago, and was still engrossed and moved to tears. It's a great, sorely underappreciated film.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
What continues to draw me to the film is its superb use of music, especially Grieg's 'Sunrise' from Pier Gynt seguing into Beethoven's first movement from his 'Pastoral' suite. It's a brilliant segue - I have actually copped this great segue myself for a MiniDisc collage of great Classical music.

The use of Panavision is quite good and the film is lively and thought-provoking.

Eddie Robinson's last performance is superb.

I'll be pre-ordering this, for sure.

Gordy

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
just read an interview with Richard Fleisher and learned that he was the director for this one, Dr Doolittle and 20000 Leagues.

Fantastic read as well

:D

Britton

Screenwriter
Does anyone remember that SNL skit from the early 90s with Phil Hartman as Charlton Heston where there were a bunch of Soylent products? Pretty funny stuff. I think John Goodman was the host of that episode.

cwhite

Second Unit
available for a limited time only! Not available in all states nor anyone under the age of 18 years

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Does anyone remember the parody that South Park did which had a Turkey farm slaughter it's birds using the same pastoral lightshow "calming" technique? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks