What's new

Southwestern Ohio FM radio further descends into Hell... (1 Viewer)

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
http://www.journal-news.com/news/new...0673.4363.html

The pain is somewhat dulled by two things. First, the station will continue to exist online. Second, the station wasn't gobbled up by Clear Channel.

I know I've turned a few of you on to 97X online, and I hope it proves to be a viable business model for them. It's a very sad day for local listeners and local bands, though. :frowning:

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
=(

I still listen to WOXY freqently, though it is difficult out here in Clermont county.

When I lived in the city, I listened all the time.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
One last bump.

97X signs off for good on Thursday, 5/13, and that includes the Web broadcast. At present, they haven't found an investor to keep the stream going, despite ranking #12 among the top 15 Internet broadcasters, and #1 among commercial radio stations broadcasting online.

They're in the middle of "97 A to X," an incredible retrospective of the tunes they've played over the past 21 years, organized alphabetically by song title. The local papers have been running eulogies over the past couple of days, quoting (among others) one Greg Dulli, whose work with The Afghan Whigs and The Twilight Singers has long been a fixture on the 97X playlists. Dulli himself used to spin records for the station on the overnight shift.

Farewell. :frowning:

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Best commerical music station I have ever heard. Most of the songs they play I have never heard on the radio.

http://indie1031.fm/main.html

I was driving and a song came on with the lyrics:

We are going to drop the neutron bomb
We are going to drop the neutron bomb
We are going to drop the neutron bomb ON YOU!
We are the red white and Blue
Cant remember the rest but funny as hell. Any one know who does it?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

97X is my favorite radio station from the last 20 years...and it's free, and no money goes to Clear Channel. Plus, I've got a new job, and I'm currently without a window, so I'm not going to be able to listen to XM at work.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Fair enough. I would still recommend it as an alternative to FM radio. I am anti-Clear Channel as well, but you could also go Sirius

Iver

Second Unit
It's nice to see a radio-related post.

I will second Mike's suggestion of WFMU. Keep in mind that this station does not have a single musical format. It is like many college stations, and some public radio stations, in that, depending on when you tune in (or access the Webcast), you may hear one of several different types of music.

Each DJ gets one three-hour weekly slot. The DJ's volunteer their time. The station runs exclusively on listener contributions. That means no payola.

These are some of my favorite shows:

Wednesday, 9 - Noon. Ken. Twisted pop with a Scandinavian and Japanese accent.

Weds, Noon - 3. Irwin. He calls it "gender-surfing tokenism." Tune in and found out just what that means. Tasteful, eclectic, and Irwin digs up some awesome obscure 7-inch U.K. singles like Cruella DeVille's "Two Dreadful Children." The last hour of the show is reserved for female vocalists.

Saturday, 10 - Noon. Greasy Kids Stuff. Music that at the same time is for kids but is not dorky commercial Disney Dreck.

Saturday, Noon - 3. The Radio Thriftshop, with Proprietress Laura Cantrell. Laura is not only a country music connoisseur, but a singer herself. The show usually starts with older songs (20's, 30's, 40's), features a recording from a live country-music radio broadcast ("The Broadcast Archive"), and then goes into more modern stuff, including some alt-country tunes, for the last hour.

Sunday, Noon - 3. The Glen Jones Radio Programme, featuring X-Ray Burns. If you could imagine Beavis and Butthead, with Butthead much more intelligent and sensitive (yet still a major wrestling fan) and Beavis being kind of a biker/punk-rocker, and the two being from New Jersey instead of Texas, then you have this show, more or less. The musical selection is like classic rock, if the DJ's were really allowed to play what they wanted and weren't chained to a 200-song playlist. Though it's frequently way more adventurous in the song selections. There's a bit of an emphasis on classic, torchy R&B and rock music that's inspired by R&B. There's usually at least one Beatles song and, in these, the selection is always very tasteful, empasizing the group's pre-67 releases. Quite a bit of the show consists of the boys' banter, which tends to concentrate on New Jersey, a woefully overlooked topic on most alternative radio stations.

Monday, 7 - 8 p.m. Jonesville Station. Jonesie is back, with a one-hour interview show.

WFMU broadcasts from East Orange, NJ on 91.1 FM with 1,000 watts. The signal seems to be effective over about a 15 to 20 mile radius, but this can vary wildly with all the signal-blocking structures in the metro area.

They also Webcast in a variety of streaming formats, including Ogg Vorbis.

If anybody missed the link above:

WFMU

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member

In the spaceship
The silver spaceship
The lion takes control

. . .

Hush, my darling
Be still, my darling
The lion's on the phone

. . .

In the spaceship
The silver spaceship
The lion waves goodbye

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
And again, like a phoenix rising from the ashes, WOXY.com is saved once again, thanks to Bill Nguyen and the rest of the crew at la la. Simply unbelievable. They should restart broadcasting next week. This time around, Bill will be investing millions of dollars into WOXY in the first year and make it like "WOXY on steroids."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks