What's new

"Southwest will charge large fliers extra fare" - What is your opinion? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Southwest will charge large fliers extra fare
Bravo to Southwest and United. Its about time IMO. As a 6' 180lb person I've had to suffer through several flights with a very large person in the seat next to me. Nothing makes a flight as enjoyable as not being able to lower the armrest, to use your tray or to have any personal space whatsoever!
On one flight there was a gentleman that was so big that even turned sideways he could barely fit down the isle. He would squeeeeeze between a row of seats, stop, attempt to catch his breath, and repeat. I was in an aisle seat and another person was in the window seat. Guess where the large person ended up??? Yep, smack in between us. To make matters worse, the heavy guy had terrible personal hygiene. His body odor made my eyes water. I actually approached a flight attendant and requested a new seat. None where available because the flight was oversold :angry:

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I saw this piece on CNN this morning, and almost fell over laughing. Lawyers that heard it probably started drooling like Pavlov's dogs.
Now maybe they should just weigh everyone, and charge by the pound. :)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Scott - for all I care let them board first! It could be included in the boarding call for people "with special needs".

Michael*K

Screenwriter
None where available because the flight was oversold
I've noticed this on practically every flight I've been on the last few months. In the past (especially pre-9/11), a lot of flights I was on were half-full...or less. Recently, several of the flights I've been on were asking passengers to take a bump to a later departure because the flight was oversold. With these full flights now, I don't see how the airlines can say they are losing a bundle.

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
I beg to differ here...I am a BIG guy...I am 6'1" and weigh 305#, but I am not fat by any standard. I played high school and college football. My waist is only a 38" and do not have problems 'fitting' down the aisle of an airplane. So how do you deal with a guy like me. I have always found that aiplane seats are too small...when I fly overseas, I have to pay for 1st class just so the flight is bearable. I feel like I am being penalized because I am big...am I to stop working out, which would in turn become a problem because everything would then 'fall' to my waistline?!?! I'm not a bodybuilder, just a big guy who tries to take care of himself...

So where do we go from here??? Let's turn this around: What if they just installed bigger seats on the airplanes and charged you a higher fare?? I would be willing to pay a little more for that...how would YOU feel???

Thanks
TK-

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
What if they just installed bigger seats on the airplanes and charged you a higher fare?? I would be willing to pay a little more for that...how would YOU feel???
I would love that. Airline seats are too small. However, I still say that no matter what the seat size, if you can't fit in it and you encroach on another passengers space you should have to purchase two seats.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
It's discrimination, plain and simple and I see nothing but lawsuits coming from it.

I'm a big guy, 6" 314 pounds, of course I have also lost 51 pounds in the past few months and I am continuing to lose the weight. But I have always been a big guy and just because I have a beer gut means I should have to pay more?

To imply that a person should be charged more based on their girth is outright discrimination and anyone who supports this should hang their head in shame.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Hey Tim I agree with you.

I'm more middle heavy, but am pretty active(Tennis twice a week, golf weekly)

I'd pay an extra 10% for a little wider seat.

Damn I'd even take a bump to a later flight if it will make thing easier.

Brent

Frederick

Second Unit
For us big guys (I'm 6'4", 270 lbs), the answer is simple: fly American :D. I dated a girl that lived in NY for 2 yrs, and I flew American every time except for once. And I paid for that once. When they advertised more room in coach, they weren't kidding. It may not be first class roomy, but I was more comfortable than I was with any other airline that I've flown. Yes, it costs a little more than Southwest or ATA, but I'd gladly fork over $20-$30 more to not be cramped in one of those Southwest planes ...
Freddy C.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
If a person takes up two seats, they should pay more. If not, they shouldn't. Does it have to be harder than that?

/Mike

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
To imply that a person should be charged more based on their girth is outright discrimination and anyone who supports this should hang their head in shame.
Hang my head in shame? Not a chance.

What gives someone the right to encroach on other people's personal space? Did I not pay for my seat, the whole seat??? Why should I have to put up with someone who doesn't fit in their seat?

Here is an analogy (probably poor one):
I find a McDonald's Quarter Pound Value Meal more than filling. So I spend $4.00 for lunch and I am satisfied. Someone else does not find that to be sufficient to quench their hunger. Should McDonald's have to provide a larger person two or three Quarter Pounders for the same price?

Another analogy (better):
I scuba dive and enjoy underwater photography. Lets say my gear takes three large bags and weighs 100#. Most airlines have a weight and/or "number of" restriction on bags. Should I not have to pay additional if I want to bring all that gear???

- edit -
Final analogy (best?):
I rent an econo-box from Avis or Hertz for $29/day. I find it to be sufficient for my size/needs. Should Avis or Hertz be forced to rent sedans, SUVs or vans for the same price because larger people can't comfortably fit in the econo model?
- end edit -

I'm all for larger seats, but that is not the issue here. The airline is selling you a seat of a certain dimension. Whether or not you fit in it is not their problem. If the seat is X" wide and someone requires X+Y" they should have to pay more.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I probably don't take up a full seat, maybe I should pay less. :) I have a 32in waist and only about 130lbs so I'm tiny.
Another analogy (better):
I scuba dive and enjoy underwater photography. Lets say my gear takes three large bags and weighs 100#.
Most airlines have a weight and/or "number of" restriction on bags. Should I not have to pay additional if I
want to bring all that gear???
Yes, what is really unfair is the discrimination towards the gear you do bring. Like why do they charge bikes in a bike box $75 extra when if I have the same box but say it's a display table for my crafts then it is included in the 2-bag policy? I know alot of cyclists who say these types of things and they get away with it all the time, yet if you're honest and say it's a bike, they slap a $75 surcharge on it.
I don't mind paying the surcharge, but what's the ultimate goal here, shouldn't ANYTHING that is oversized be charged?
Jay

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Lawyers that heard it probably started drooling like Pavlov's dogs.
Actually I believe United has had this policy in place for sometime now.
I am not a large man but my take is if someone can sit next to me for four hours with a 2 month old baby screaming in my ear and a three year old crawling under my seat then I should be able to be as large as I want. It's sad that for some reason in our pc society that everything is taboo to make fun of except mother-in-laws and fat people. I think in our messed up society we would rather be an alcoholic/drug addict than fat. That said, I once sat next to a lady that must have been around 350 or so. I mean really large... The flight was about 2 hours and it was unforgettable. When I sat down she already had the armrest up and was about three quarters onto my seat. Since it was a full plane I had no choice but to basically "one cheek" it in the aisle. Even the flight attendants felt bad for me when they would come by with the cart and I would have to stand up so they get around me. My point is I got off the plane and went on with my life, as for the lady I can only imagine the embarrassment she must have felt. She seemed much more apologetic than any mother who can't control her children that I've flown with. I think airports bring out the worst in people and one way to change it would be to have bigger seats on the planes. I would gladly pay 20-30 more for a ticket to have a more comfortable seat.

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator
Like why do they charge bikes in a bike box $75 extra
Jay,

The actual policy on United is to charge you for an oversize piece of luggage AND a bike, which results in two $75 fees. I'm usually successful in talking them out of one of these fees, but never both.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
As many obese people as there are in this country, and there are more and more every day, I find it odd that airline seats are still as small as they are. Maybe the airlines just need to make bigger seats, I'm sure that would make many overweight people more willing to fly,

/Mike

Julie K

Screenwriter
Maybe the airlines just need to make bigger seats,
Then there will be fewer people in the plane. I'm not an expert on airline economics, but I would imagine that if it costs X to fly a plane from point A to B, then fewer people mean higher per person costs.

I know I'm going to get flames and hate for this, but is the ever increasing size of Americans really something to be happy or unconcerned about? Being fit and fat at the same time is a myth.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Julie,

You don't need to be an expert on airline economics! You are correct, fewer seats will result in higher cost per seat. (I realize you were being sarcastic!)

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
So where do we go from here??? Let's turn this around: What if they just installed bigger seats on the airplanes and charged you a higher fare?? I would be willing to pay a little more for that...how would YOU feel???
All over that! I'd definitely pay the extra.

I mean, it's just physics here. Large people clothes cost more due to more cloth. cars that are comfortable for larger people generally cost more, etc. Even the airplane needs more fuel the heavier it is - so doesn't it make sense that since it costs the airline more money that it seems reasonable they should charge more?

Frederick

Second Unit
CameronJ:

You're right. I should have thought that out more. My biggest complaint about planes isn't about seat width, it's leg room. Being tall can be a drag sometimes, and adding those few inches helped out a great deal. I "fit" into the seats width-wise, fortunately. And I have yet to sit next to someone larger than me. I purposely get tickets for the row with two seats on one side and three on the other, and pick the isle seat. It's a more pleasant trip that way.

My best friend wouldn't be able to visit me if I left Illinois because he's big. Very big. He'd take up two seats easily. He won't fly because of his size ...

Freddy C.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks