"Southwest will charge large fliers extra fare" - What is your opinion?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Reno, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Southwest will charge large fliers extra fare
    Bravo to Southwest and United. Its about time IMO. As a 6' 180lb person I've had to suffer through several flights with a very large person in the seat next to me. Nothing makes a flight as enjoyable as not being able to lower the armrest, to use your tray or to have any personal space whatsoever!
    On one flight there was a gentleman that was so big that even turned sideways he could barely fit down the isle. He would squeeeeeze between a row of seats, stop, attempt to catch his breath, and repeat. I was in an aisle seat and another person was in the window seat. Guess where the large person ended up??? Yep, smack in between us. To make matters worse, the heavy guy had terrible personal hygiene. His body odor made my eyes water. I actually approached a flight attendant and requested a new seat. None where available because the flight was oversold [​IMG]

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

Considering the idiotic way that Southwest seats its passengers, how will they make sure there are two seats together for these people?

3. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I saw this piece on CNN this morning, and almost fell over laughing. Lawyers that heard it probably started drooling like Pavlov's dogs.
    Now maybe they should just weigh everyone, and charge by the pound. [​IMG]

4. Dennis Reno

Scott - for all I care let them board first! It could be included in the boarding call for people "with special needs".

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

6. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

I beg to differ here...I am a BIG guy...I am 6'1" and weigh 305#, but I am not fat by any standard. I played high school and college football. My waist is only a 38" and do not have problems 'fitting' down the aisle of an airplane. So how do you deal with a guy like me. I have always found that aiplane seats are too small...when I fly overseas, I have to pay for 1st class just so the flight is bearable. I feel like I am being penalized because I am big...am I to stop working out, which would in turn become a problem because everything would then 'fall' to my waistline?!?! I'm not a bodybuilder, just a big guy who tries to take care of himself...

So where do we go from here??? Let's turn this around: What if they just installed bigger seats on the airplanes and charged you a higher fare?? I would be willing to pay a little more for that...how would YOU feel???

Thanks
    TK-

7. Dennis Reno

8. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

It's discrimination, plain and simple and I see nothing but lawsuits coming from it.

I'm a big guy, 6" 314 pounds, of course I have also lost 51 pounds in the past few months and I am continuing to lose the weight. But I have always been a big guy and just because I have a beer gut means I should have to pay more?

To imply that a person should be charged more based on their girth is outright discrimination and anyone who supports this should hang their head in shame.

9. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Hey Tim I agree with you.

I'm more middle heavy, but am pretty active(Tennis twice a week, golf weekly)

I'd pay an extra 10% for a little wider seat.

Damn I'd even take a bump to a later flight if it will make thing easier.

Brent

10. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

For us big guys (I'm 6'4", 270 lbs), the answer is simple: fly American [​IMG]. I dated a girl that lived in NY for 2 yrs, and I flew American every time except for once. And I paid for that once. When they advertised more room in coach, they weren't kidding. It may not be first class roomy, but I was more comfortable than I was with any other airline that I've flown. Yes, it costs a little more than Southwest or ATA, but I'd gladly fork over $20-$30 more to not be cramped in one of those Southwest planes ...
    Freddy C.

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

If a person takes up two seats, they should pay more. If not, they shouldn't. Does it have to be harder than that?

/Mike

12. Dennis Reno

13. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I probably don't take up a full seat, maybe I should pay less. [​IMG] I have a 32in waist and only about 130lbs so I'm tiny.

14. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

15. CameronJ

CameronJ Stunt Coordinator

16. MickeS

MickeS Producer

As many obese people as there are in this country, and there are more and more every day, I find it odd that airline seats are still as small as they are. Maybe the airlines just need to make bigger seats, I'm sure that would make many overweight people more willing to fly,

/Mike

17. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

18. Dennis Reno

Julie,

You don't need to be an expert on airline economics! You are correct, fewer seats will result in higher cost per seat. (I realize you were being sarcastic!)

19. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

20. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

CameronJ:

You're right. I should have thought that out more. My biggest complaint about planes isn't about seat width, it's leg room. Being tall can be a drag sometimes, and adding those few inches helped out a great deal. I "fit" into the seats width-wise, fortunately. And I have yet to sit next to someone larger than me. I purposely get tickets for the row with two seats on one side and three on the other, and pick the isle seat. It's a more pleasant trip that way.

My best friend wouldn't be able to visit me if I left Illinois because he's big. Very big. He'd take up two seats easily. He won't fly because of his size ...

Freddy C.