What's new

Southwest Airlines -- what a great company (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've flown SWA only once, and have to agree with Justin -- their method of assigning seats sucks. With no assigned seats there is no guarantee you will be able to sit with the people you are traveling with. Luckily, I was flying on business, so it was no big deal to me. However, one gentleman was traveling with his two children and could not find three seats anywhere near each other.
How difficult is it to assign seats when you check in? Other budget airlines like Spirit do this. After my one experience, I doubt I would ever fly SWA again unless I was traveling alone.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 4

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Just becuase Boeing is laying off dosn't mean they are not a good company. It is just economic reality.
Yeah, you wouldn't want their share price to drop any more, or for the CEO to miss out on that $10Million end-of-the-year bonus...
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, you wouldn't want their share price to drop any more, or for the CEO to miss out on that $10Million end-of-the-year bonus...

I don't think you understand. Boeing is under a VERY REAL THREAT from airbus.
You have to keep in mind airbus is government subsidized, they don't need to make a profit. And their products sell for something like a third less than a boeing.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
No complaints about Southwestern here.
They're starting up in Norfolk this month.
Additionally, my entire family is flying roundtrip from Raliegh-Durham to San Jose and back for about $600 next month. (Thanks to our tax refund!)
Nope, no complaints here....

James Q Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
quote: You have to keep in mind airbus is government subsidized, they don't need to make a profit. And their products sell for something like a third less than a boeing.[/quote]For the record, Boeing gets a hell of a lot of money through the Pentagon/Defense budget. To call Airbus "government subsidized" and deny that Boeing is also is a gross misrepresentation. Regardless of the level of Government sponsorship, Airbus needs to make a profit just like Boeing. With the technology and money involved, if it werent for government sponsorship of one kind or another we probably would not have large passenger jet aircraft at all.
And I don't believe your statement about the comparative prices at all. Please provide a reference.
No political discussion here, just plain facts.
------------------
-JQJ
[Edited last by James Q Jenkins on October 02, 2001 at 08:34 AM]
[Edited last by James Q Jenkins on October 02, 2001 at 08:35 AM]

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Are you forgetting that airbus is a consortium? Not one GVT. involved but several.
They've also done some interesting things in terms of regulations, not allowing hush kitted planes in, because the boeings are kitted, and the airbus comes (stage II?) from the factory, after some appeals to ICAO that was canned.
Anywho, the price information is from a class professor last spring (airline operations)
boeing posts their prices. So compare what you will, I'd say a larger 73 series to an A320. The second link has some new Airbuses and some used, you can also compare the used to used, but you'll note they're most all less for the airbus.
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/prices/index.html
http://www.sky-club.com/pricelist.htm
edit: airbus does not provide price information on their site.
[Edited last by Philip_G on October 02, 2001 at 09:03 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread