What's new

Southern California meet to see "Attack of the Clones" at the Village Theater (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
Hi All,
Would anyone be interested in getting together at the Village theater to see Attack of the Clones? Any day but Sunday would work for me, and since I live pretty close, I can save a place in line for those who have to drive a distance.
If we go on a Saturday, we could eat afterward in Westwood.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
To be honest, I really don't want to see the movie, but it would be great to see ya John and hang out. I could bring the wife along also. Keep me on the up and up as for a date and time.
Linda no longer works so anydate/time would work for me.
Peace Out~:D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I promised myself I wouldn't camp out overnight for this movie, and I guess this wouldn't be considered breaking that promise. But it would be cool to see y'all again! What date are we talking about? As long as I'm not out of town or anything, count me in! And my SO lives in Westwood (and I work there, but this will be a weekend so I HOPE I'm not in the office), so you may not have to hold a place in line all by yourself Jonathan (I know how some people view "holding places").

John A. Gordon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JohnG
The Village Theatre. Probably the best, at least one of the top 5, commercial cinemas around. It will make any home theater seem like a cheesy boombox. Wait tell you hear the THX trailer.

Anyway, I'm game, but I'm like others and have no desire whatsoever to camp out.

Sat. would work for me. And I vote for going to "South Street" restaurant (practically across the street from the Village) for some good Philly Cheese steak sandwiches, yum yum.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I should be able to handle either day if it's a daytime show. Saturday would be an all around better day for me though. Is the theater showing in DLP digital? That would be ideal as we all know the movie was shot on digital tape.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Downtown Disney is a good theater. Plus, it's right there at the parks, we could have a little fun after the show. Naples is really, really good eatery to boot.
Peace Out~:D

John A. Gordon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JohnG
Is the Village Theatre good? YES! As I said before it is one of the best commercial cinemas in the country. Prints are always fantastic looking. The sound is awesome. The screen size to room dimensions are better than the current stadium megaplexes. And it’s a monoplex!

Sat. is a good day for me as well.

As for the DLP at the Village, I doubt it. It is planned to be in DLP at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre though--but of course they cannot use the full size screen, which means the image will be smaller than if it was "film." As for being shot digitally, that may be correct, but is it all digital? I would not be surprised if you see the name Kodak hidden somewhere in the credits. Some special effects shots still require high-resolution images that digital cannot produce today. And I’m sure there are plenty of high-resolution shots. After all, the word I hear is that there are digital images in every frame, which to me implies does not mean all digital. Besides, if you really look at the trailer playing in theaters now, it does look different. Anyway, it should be fun.

What do you say to back-up plan just in case the time we pick is sold out?

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
Is the village theatre is good one?
The only problem with the Village theater, is that once you've seen a movie there, you will never be able to see another movie without saying to yourself "That would have been better at the Village". It is absolutely the finest commercial theater in Los Angeles (to avoid argument, yes the Chinese is nice, as are a couple others). It won't be DLP, but films at the Village are always bright, clear, in focus and without scratches or visible splices, so I'm not too worried. And the sound ! My wife and I see a lot of movies, and we've seen the THX trailer hundreds of times on our 5.1 system at home, but the first time she saw the THX trailer at the Village, she turned to me and said "WOW, that was awesome!"
So let's plan on going to the Saturday morning show. We can buy our tickets online a week in advance, so we don't have to worry about it being sold out. I can post as soon as the tickets go on sale. I'll plan on getting us a place in line a few hours early (I live nearby), but the theater's so big, I've been around the block in line and still gotten a good seat at sold out shows. This is a very big theater (1200+ seats w/ balcony).
After lunch, since I'm in the process of setting up a HTPC in my apartment, anyone who would like to see DVD upscaled to 1704x960i (or 1440x960i, or 960x540p) on a 55" RPTV is welcome to come over after lunch to check it out. If you haven't seen "upscaled" DVD, it can be an eye opening experience. We can even compare it to a 480p progressive scan player, which is always interesting.
Looking forward to it! :emoji_thumbsup:
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

John A. Gordon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JohnG
Carpooling is good. We'll talk as the day gets closer.

And, let's not forget about stopping at Diddy Riese cookies across from the Village. Home of the 3 cookies and a milk for $1.00. Yummy yummy. Or turn two cookies into an ice cream sandwich. Very yummy.

A side note: Spider-Man opens today at the National, which is the other really good theater in Westwood. I'm planning on webbing over there next weekeend.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Ok, since AOTC seems to be getting such good reviews, I'd like to join in. I like the carpooling idea. John, you helped permanently spoil me by exposing me to the National (and Diddy Reese cookies!). The Village is simple a superb movie theater! In fact, it was my experiences at the Village and the National that prompted me to start my "a good movie theater is better than any home theater" thread. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hey, count me in for either day! I live near the darned thing (as Jonathan does) so I won't need carpooling--even have a UCLA permit due to job perks, if $48 a month is considered a perk.

And yes, The Village spoils you. When LoTR came out, I was FURIOUS that it wasn't at the Village. So much so that it was a month before I actually got out to another theater (damned multiplexes) to see it.

Carlo.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
If the rumor is true about extra footage in DLP showings, do we want to switch to a DLP theater?

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I would love to come with you guys but Lake Mead is calling me that weekend. I want a review on the movie and have a good time everybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks