Southern California Meet-Some Announcements

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Tolsky, Apr 3, 2001.

1. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

Thanks to everyone who is participating as hosts and to all those attending the upcoming events. We will need someone to document the events with digital photos. Anyone have a decent digital camera please volunteer to take snapshots during all events. On Saturday, April 7th, I will be going out of town for about 5 days. I'll be checking the site a few times but not often. If you have any questions, please e-mail me at [email protected]
    When I return, I will be posting directions to all events, as well as exact times, etc.
    If you have access to, or know someone related to Home Theater products of any kind, and can contribute anything to our door prizes, please let me know by e-mail. As West Coast Rep, I will be happy to contact anyone with information on the HTF.
    Also, I want to put out another notice for Sunday's event at my house. If anyone has any interesting out-of-region dvd's they want to demo, post here or e-mail me. I know I talked to some of you about this earlier but in all the organizing I put it on the backburner and lost track.
    Looking forward to a memorable 4 days!
    David Tolsky
    ------------------

2. Jean Weitzmann

Jean Weitzmann Stunt Coordinator

3. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

I listed my out of region DVDs on another thread (I think the original), and this includes:
    -Point Break
    -Scream
    -Edward Scissorhands
    -Addams Family
    -Papillon
    -That Thing you do
    -Chain Reaction
    All NTSC Region 2......I'll bring them on Thursday and leave them with David.

4. JaredB

JaredB Agent

I have Mad Max with the australian dialogue (R2 NTSC), The Straight Story (R2 NTSC) and Treasure Island (R2 PAL). I'll bring them.

5. David Tolsky

Brian and Jared, please bring them all and we'll take some peeks at them after lunch. Jean W., I'm sending you an e-mail. I have the Apex 600A model and it should play all out of region and PAL discs.
    Dave
    ------------------

6. L. W. Cobb

L. W. Cobb Agent

David- I was thinking that maybe a rare Laserdisc would be of interest. It would no doubt be something unavailable on DVD in any region. Does anybody have any ideas? Heck, maybe it doesn't even have to be rare, it might be a film we all may have to wait a long while for on DVD. Perhaps we can think of something that has mass appeal, and on your system, one would be hard pressed to find any shortcomings compared to DVD! [​IMG] Whaddya think folks?

7. David Tolsky

Larry, yeah, I like the idea. We all have to remember that the origins of true home theater centered around that larger disc. If you have a rare laserdisc or film that will never see the light of day on DVD, please bring it. We may not get to see all of it, but we can sure sample it at the very least. Good idea!
    Dave
    ------------------

8. John A. Gordon

John A. Gordon Stunt Coordinator

JohnG
    Before I say this, I'm putting my guard up. The laserdisc is a good idea. How about the Phantom Menace?

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

John, good idea...except we watched it at David's meet last year! [​IMG]

10. David Tolsky

Yeah, that's pretty funny. But if I had to do it all over again, I'd like to show it with my black felt to cover up the Japanese subtitles! I now own that disc, and even though it isn't particularly good (the movie, that is) the disc has great quality sound and picture, and it's fun to watch. I wouldn't have a problem demoing some scenes from it, but we already have a screening planned (it's looking like Point Break at the moment).
    ------------------