southern california bmw 530i

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DannyL, Jan 6, 2004.

1. DannyL

DannyL Stunt Coordinator

which bmw dealers in southern california are willing to knock the price down off the msrp? the best i could find was $1000 off the sticker price.

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I dont live in Southern Cal but is this a popular car (not a lot of them around)?

Have you physically gone to the dealerships or just called them? Usually dealers will not give much over the phone or internet because they dont know for sure you are interested.

KyleS

3. Craig

Craig Second Unit

You can get a good idea of what the cars sell for in your area by going to www.carsdirect.com or www.edmunds.com and putting in your zip code and looking at the model you want.

4. DannyL

DannyL Stunt Coordinator

i tried carsdirect.com- unfortunately the lowest they will go is $1,0000 under msrp. edmunds lists tmv pricing the same as msrp.

i have gone to numerous dealers, but no one will go under msrp. i guess this car is too new. doh!

5. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Yes, this is the new generation 5 series and they tend to be quick sellers. If you can wait a year or so, they should be able to be had for cheap. I say that because their design direction is going in a wacky direction and the general public is not liking it. Use the new Z4 as an example. Sales were really down in 2003 (~one year after it was introduced) leading to huge cash incentives (up to $5k I heard). So if the new Z4 was up your alley in the later half of 2003, you could get one for under invoice.

However, the new 5 isn't quite as wacky (IMHO of course) as the Z4 so it may take a bit longer for the "newness" to wear away where you can get a hefty discount.

If you can't hold off, I'd recommend you trying the European delivery program. You get a really good discount off MSRP and you go pick it up (and drop it off) in Europe plus you can request the options you want and not have to pay for what you don't want. BMW than imports the car as "used" and you get to share in the savings. Of course, you're out the money to stay and fly there, but tack it on to a vacation and you get great memories of driving on the Autobahn and touring Europe in your new wheels. I did that on my 330i in 2000 and it was the best "vacation" I had ever.

Try Cutter Motors in Santa Barbara and ask for "Euroman". His name is Keith and he hooked me up with my BMW. Paid $2500 over invoice for a first year production of the 330i. All said and told, it turned out to be about $3k under MSRP for my self configured 330i and a great experience.

Good luck.

Bob

6. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I second Cutter Motors in SB. Jon Shafer is the sales manager and is a good guy. Did I just say that about a car salesperson?! He was a frequent and excellent contributor on the bimmer boards back when I used to frequent them, I believe he's one of the mods now. Go here for a quote.

7. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I'm one of the few who love the new 5 design /me runs and hides

8. DannyL

DannyL Stunt Coordinator

thanks guys for all the suggestions. going to europe is not really an option for me right now. i'll try cutter motors. kyle, i agree with you; i think the look of the 2004 530i is much sexier than the 2003 model. the only thing i don't like is that damn idrive- wish i could order the 2004 model without it.