What's new

South Park Thread (1 Viewer)

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
With the new episodes of season 6 rapidly approaching I figured it was time for a south park thread. Basically I hope this thread will be one where people post about everything South Park, instead of having a new thread after each new episode. That is the hope and if it doesn't turn out that way

"Screw you guys, I'm going home!"

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I don't know if this has been posted already(I am switching dsl services so my internet has been down) but I just read this on the bits

Just thought you South Park fans would like to know - we've confirmed with our sources inside Warner Bros. that the studio is currently working to bring the ENTIRE animated series to DVD in complete season sets. No word yet on features or street dates, but there's reason to believe that the first season will street before the end of the year. We'll post more when we can confirm it.

Stay tuned...

Of course I am thrilled that season sets are coming but it ticks me off that Warner is starting with season 1 when it is already available. Now this brings up the question do I buy Season 1 so that Warner knows that we want the seasons on dvd and then just sell it on ebay or something. Just wanted to know what you guys thought.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
If you're going to buy it and sell the redundant set on eBay, I guess I would sell the orignal discs and keep the season box, esp if I was going to collect them all.

I just don't think I'd watch it enough to buy the sets personally. I'm more likely to buy the Simpsons sets.

I am really glad to see Warner getting the clue, though, and giving fans what they want.

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love a commentary track on the DVDs.

As for the new season, I'm definitely looking forward to it. I know some of the past episodes have fallen flat but as I watch the reruns of them I start to realize that they still are funny. A lot of the shock that came with the first seasons is waning but I still love to watch the show.

Can someone explain the "shit" episode. When was this given permission on TV? This was the only episode I have missed of the season and I just caught it earlier this week. However, I thought it was a very funny episode.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Can someone explain the "shit" episode. When was this given permission on TV?
Basic cable does not use the public airwaves so therefore has no obligation to follow any standards for content developed by the FCC. Comedy Central has their own standards & practices for content, which they are free to change on a case by case basis, which they did for that South Park episode.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I finally saw a commercial for the new episodes tonight and I am very excited.

I got a kick out of when they told us that they would answer the question, "Which of his classic films will George Lucas ruin next?"

For some reason, I thought of HTF when I heard that....

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Can he ruin that? You can't make crap from crap, it has to start out as good food. Metabolic process.

Anyhoo, I loved the sh*t episode. It's episodes like that that make the show so great.

Since most of the episodes (pretty much all of them after the first few) were made in a computer, shouldn't it be easy to make the discs? They just get the episodes, do some space management stuff, get some extras, design the packaging and menus, and poof! they're done.

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the explanation, Derek. I always thought the FCC had control over cable broadcasts.

Comedy Central's standards? Those went out when they got rid of UCB and Strangers With Candy and brought in Beat the Geeks (I like the concept of a more media-culture game show but it's just so boring and lifeless...and not funny) and Crankyankers (some of the stuff is kind of funny but not enough to warrant all of the attention CC is giving it).

To all,
If the South Park DVDs do come out would you want them censored or not? I'd like the option to turn it on and off because some episodes (the 1st mainly) seem to work better with and endless barrage of bleeps.

[edit]changed it to "UCB." Sometimes I type too fast [/edit]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They could have 3 audio tracks: censored, uncensored, and commentary. That would be nice...

UBC? You mean UCB?

I liked Strip Mall, Strangers with Candy, and UCB. They should at least air them at midnight.

Back to the topic at hand, South Park is funny.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
If the South Park DVDs do come out would you want them censored or not? I'd like the option to turn it on and off because some episodes (the 1st mainly) seem to work better with and endless barrage of bleeps.
The bleeps are NOT censorship. They're in there because Parker & Stone think it's funnier that way.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
If only they had a F*** episode. :D
I loved the sh** episode. I thought that was pretty cool saying that word 162 times.
The bleeps are NOT censorship. They're in there because Parker & Stone think it's funnier that way.
I guess you're right about that. I rented a VHS of one of the South Parks and it was STILL bleeped. The one where Cartman gets an anal probe. If only I knew what Kyle was saying when he was cussing at the aliens. "Hey you beep!!! You must be some kind of Beep ba beep blip beep beeeeeep. If..beeeep .beeeepp eppeebppebpbpep." You know what I mean. LOL

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
"The Spirit of Christmas," the animated short with the South Park characters that sparked the show, had no bleeps. Since they put them in the show, I believe that they are there not for comedic reasons, but because Comedy Central doesn't want a show full of swearing.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Mike;

If Comedy Central didn't want any swearing, why in God's name would they ever allow the shit episode to begin with?

I say, keep the bleeps. The show is funnier that way. Besides, without them, the shit episode makes no sense. Why make such a big deal over saying "shit" if you've said it uncensored in every other episode?

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
If Comedy Central didn't want any swearing, why in God's name would they ever allow the shit episode to begin with?
They made an exception for this one episode. They probably decided that the attention and potential rating of the episode is worth the risk of any complaints. They are also confident in the clout of that show and that advertisers wouldn't pull out because of it. They wouldn't allow swearing on Beat the Geeks or the Daily Show, for example.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I got a kick out of when they told us that they would answer the question, "Which of his classic films will George Lucas ruin next?"
This made me think of this:

Episode III

Anakin: "Screw you guys, I'm going over to the dark side!"

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Further proof that Parker & Stone probably want to keep the bleeps: They swear in the intros to the episodes on home video (They refer to the episode "An Elephant Makes Love To A Pig" as "An Elephant F#@ks A Pig."), so the episodes probably could contain similar language if they desired.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think that they were told to tone down the show when they first put it on TV, then used it as a joke, thus the ton of censored words. It wasn't a big hit back then, but now that it is, they can swear.

I saw "The Spirit of Christmas" once. Funny as hell, though only like 5 minutes long.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Alright, good to see this thread going. Personally I think it's funnier with the bleeps and I think that Matt and Trey want to keep the bleeps. Don't forget everyone new season starts next wednesday.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks