What's new

South Park - the new episode (1 Viewer)

Ivan Berisic

Stunt Coordinator
The new episode of SP that aires in the US the day after tomorrow will contain the word 'shit'. There's a contest running on the official website. You have to guess how many times the word 'shit' will be used in the episode. Why the fuck didn't they use profanity in the show from the beginning? It's aired on cable anyway.
------------------

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Well, the original broadcast of the first episode was uncensored as I recall. My guess is that for a new show, it's much tougher to sell a cartoon where the kids swear like sailors. Nowadays, though, South Park has enough clout to do what they want, I imagine.
------------------
Link Removed
"Sex? We're men! We wrestled!"
-Barton Fink

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
My understanding is that the show isn't censored by Comedy Central, but that the episodes arrive in the can with the words already bleeped by the show's creators.
In other words, it's the "director's intent."
Go figure.

Wade K

Second Unit
quote: The new episode of SP that aires in the US the day after tomorrow will contain the word 'shit'.[/quote]
According to the commercials on Comedy Central, they will be saying 'sh*t.' (with the star in place of the 'i') Knowing the pranksters that Matt and Trey seem to be, it wouldn't surprise me if one of them says 'shut' or 'shot'. Sorta like when they pissed people off with the Terrance and Phillip special, Not Without My Anus.

Wade K

Second Unit
quote: Wade, 'shit' will be uncensored. They've confirmed it on the official website.[/quote]
This convinces me even more that it's some sort of gag. The contest on the website where you guess how many times "shit" is said, seems to be implying that it will be a lot. Maybe I'm too much of a cynic, but it seems like a case of over-hyping an event.
I wonder if "shit" means something apart from its English meaning in some other language. Perhaps there's a new exchange student in class the lads talk to.
I simply must remember to set my VCR.

Ike

Screenwriter
They're touting it as the first un-bleeped use of shit on a non-live TV show on basic cable-not true. Anybody remember Chicago Hope (or was it E.R.?) with it's touted stating of "Shit happens?"
Aw, hell, who am I fooling-I'll watch.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Anybody remember Chicago Hope (or was it E.R.?) with it's touted stating of "Shit happens?"
It was Chicago Hope, and who actually watched Chicago Hope?
biggrin.gif

------------------
darkcity.gif
mem.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
My DVD Collection / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542

Wade K

Second Unit
P.S. - does anyone know if they are planning to do another movie?
I've heard that there is probably something in the works...no idea if it's beyond a conception stage.
I think I'm probably the only person who entered the contest with an answer of '0'

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
In a commercial for BBC America's sitcom, "Coupling", Steve used to say "shit". This ran for about a month, and then all of a sudden, they started bleeping it out.
Who are these mysterious people that are deciding what level of profanity I can handle? I prefer to make my own decisions. If something really offended me, I would simply stop watching it. Where do these people make the leap of logic that if it offends them, then it must be removed from the air?
I understand that not all tastes are the same, but why people insist on shoving their supposed moral beliefs down everyone else's throat is a mystery to me. Who are we protecting? When I was a little kid, I already knew what all the swear words were, and I knew not to use them in front of people who might not like them. No big deal.

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
They're touting it as the first un-bleeped use of shit on a non-live TV show on basic cable-not true. Anybody remember Chicago Hope (or was it E.R.?) with it's touted stating of "Shit happens?"
MTV has aired its share of uncensored curse words, too. When Tom Green's cancer special aired after 10 or 11pm, I seem to remember him saying "shit" several times, and it wasn't bleeped. And then there's "Scared Straight '99," which also aired on MTV, where prisoners said the f-word just about every five seconds. Literally. That wasn't censored either.

AlexV

Auditioning
Actually, I was watching 60 minutes II last night and Mike Wallace was quoting lyrics from some hate group and they didn't bleep out the S-bomb.
I don't know about you, but hearing Mike Wallace curse was a surreal moment.
crazy.gif

------------------

Adnan Sheikh

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. I was predicting 30 times tops. Looking back now, though, I can see why that was foolish. Talk about over the top :). I enjoyed it though.
------------------
Adnan Sheikh
Resident :) abuser

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Chalk up another great episode for "South Park."
Groundbreaking (for the number of times "shit" was uttered), plus killer refs to "The Drew Carey Show" and Excalibur. And as always, there was a satirical message hidden underneath all the profanity and gore. Way to open the new season! :)
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
I missed the episode, and not the word shit offends me in any way, but I think the bleeping is funnier than if they actually had the words in. I remember seeing spaceballs on TV once, and the scene where they are combing the desert, the guys said "we aint found [beeeep]". To me it was hillarious rather than seeing a crappy dubbed word when its obvious that's what he is saying.
As George Carlin said "You can't fool me, man. Shoot is Shit with two O's"
I neer understood the problem with certain "swear" words. saying poop is ok, but you can't teach you child shit. I rarely every hear shit used literally anyway..."Look at the pile shit!" no! Its just an expression of anger/frustration for me...to me, shit is just mad poop
biggrin.gif

------------------
Crash
"I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack."
Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

Ivan Berisic

Stunt Coordinator
You lucky bastards. I'm gonna have to wait for at least 6 months. That's how long it's gonna take for that episode to get to Croatia.
furious.gif
angry.gif
frown.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks