What's new

South Park: Season Twelve (2 Viewers)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I didn't really make that connection. I'm not so sure it was a direct reference to the Indiana Jones episode because Kyle wasn't "raped", Indiana Jones was "raped" I thought it was more of a reference to "Thelma & Louise"

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

Right. Kyle mentioned the "rape" and Stan said "one of our friends was raped in Peru". Definitely a reference to Indiana Jones ("Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" takes place in Peru).

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
It didn't work very well for me, either. It felt a bit like "been there, done that", but with a different topic. It did pick up considerably once the Cloverfield references started. I'm also wondering how they'll make sense of Craig being the only one who can stop the takeover.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I liked those parts a lot. The rest of the episode was good enough for me. Liked the idea of the kids trying to scam money by making knockoff pan flute CDs. And their bad playing was subtly bad instead of downright awful, which I found amusing.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Another trilogy?

Part 2 was hilarious. Loved every minute of it. The "guinea creatures" rivaled the "panthers" from Team America.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Also loved Craig's sarcasm. I hope this means we'll see more of the character in future episodes beyond the "Pandemic Trilogy".

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm really hoping that that jail break is just a gag rather than a continuation of the story because this plot didn't have enough gas to last 2 episodes let alone 3.

On the positive side, I thought the different costumes on the guinea pigs was pretty funny and I still liked Craig's 'negative' attitude.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My favorite part was that, however much Kyle and Cartman hate each other, they'll still team up to call Craig an asshole when he doesn't go with the flow.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This show has hit an all-time low.

Last week's episode (part 2) was so bad I turned it off 10
minutes in. Don't know about the rest of you but guinea pigs
in costumes don't translate into funny for me. Just horrible!

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, not very good. As has been said, I hope that the last scene was just a gag and not a cliffhanger for another episode. The only thing I did like was how deadpan Craig was when he was the savior. "Oh, there are now lasers coming out of my eyes."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
While the story was clearly written to be used no matter WHO took office, I'm still amazed they were able to turn the episode around that quickly. Conceptually, I thought it was one the stronger episodes so far this season. By sidestepping the political dynamics for an "Ocean's 11" parody, it opened up the episode to mock both sides of the partisan divide. Turning the death of Obama's grandmother in a gag went over the line, IMO, but otherwise I thought this one was right on the mark.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Eh, not sure I was that into the heist plot, like the past couple of episodes, it seemed too out there with any real clever payoff. I kind of wished the episode stayed more with the.......I guess I'll have to word this carefully.....what some people might consider overhyping of Obama and what some might consider his "messiah" status. And on the flip side, what some might call the inflated fear that Obama will ruin the nation theme. There's a gold mine of comedic potential. I know the episode did have that to a small degree, but I wish they could have built a more substantial story around that.

South Park has never been shy about being unsensitive about the dead. Look at the episoded where Hell makes an appearance and all the dead people they feature in there. So I don't know that this went over the line much more than other things they have done. However, even though I wasn't offended, I did think it possible that people wouldn't like the joke.

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator
I would love to see a "making of" about this episode when the DVDs come out. Even though the basic plot didn't rely on one candidate or the other winning, it did make a big difference in how the characters fit into each scene. I wonder if there is an almost complete alternate episode sitting around and just how much can the South Park staff do in one day.

Concerning the Guinea pigs in last weeks episode: I would have loved to have seen a Guinea pig in an actual pig costume and see how the characters handled the naming of that one.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it was an interesting one in how fast certain elements must have been done. I have heard in various interviews and DVD commentaries that an episode has to be turned into Comedy Central by around 10:00am the day it is to air (incidentally, it has been said that it is also one of the reasons "South Park" seems to get away with so much standardswise as there just isn't enough time in many cases for the lawyers to go through it) I know they can do things very much on the fly even in the last 24 hours, but there were alot of elements here that depended on who won (the reactions of the townspeople come to mind) even though the episode on the surface did not seem very Obama or McCain specific. My guess is that two versions were animated, and for the very specific election day stuff, such as the Obama speech, they just pulled an all-nighter to get that stuff down.

I do wonder what the townspeople story would have been if the election outcome had gone the other way.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
There have been a few occasions where they were working on it up until minutes before airtime almost resulting in the episode not airing. I've read that at least once, they didn't start uploading the episode to Comedy Central until 15 SECONDS before 10 PM (Eastern). The show was literally airing as Comedy Central was just receiving it. This is also why sometimes an episode that premieres at 10 PM might not be the same version that airs in replays as they may re-write some dialog and re-edit the episode after rushing it out.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. Having done a satire of the Presidential election in 2004, I liked that they did something different this time and just used the candidates in a silly plot. The shots at the overzealous supporters were funny too.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Even their song selections seemed to work well with whomever won.

In the case of Mickey, Obama worked when Randy sang "O-Bama you're so fine...", but if McCain won, it could have easily worked as "Oh McCain you're so fine..."

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks