South Park Season 8 Cover

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by StoshS, May 15, 2006.

1. StoshS

StoshS Agent

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5656

who else is liking the different cover styles now? at first i didnt like the season 7 cover but once i bought it, it looks so much better in person. only thing i dont like is the cut out in the middle of the box. i just dont want my box getting damaged, one day something can get caught under it and rip it of something.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I warmed up to the S7 cover a little bit. Then again I don't really care about the covers one way or the other. [​IMG]

They usually release the sets closer to the time the season premieres. Since South Park won't start again until October I think that August 29 is a pretty early release and may be bumped back a few weeks. Maybe not.

3. samuelRo

samuelRo Auditioning

The Season 8 cover would look 1000 times better if the characters' anime alter egos were depicted. I'm bummed they didn't go this route.

4. Dax P

Dax P Stunt Coordinator

Fully expect that when you take the digipack out of the sleeve, the anime characters will be the top image...

5. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

It's pretty unreasonable to expect them to put such unrecognizable versions of the characters on the front cover. I agree that the inside of the packaging will show those versions but just think of what an awful marketing move it would be to put them front and center.

6. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I was right, you open it up and get essentially the same cover layout with the anime characters and anime-esque lettering.

I don't have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with the packaging on this set. After the first 7 seasons had uniform spines this new one looks out of place. Even when the rights went from Warner Bros. to Paramount the positions of everything was maintained on the spines with only the studio logos changing. The problem with Season 8 is that there is now a closed-captioning "[CC]" logo on the spine above the Comedy Central logo, which I could live with if not for the fact that everything above said "[CC]" logo has moved up approximately one centimeter. It looks really awful next to the other seasons.

It's a shame that Fox puts the third season of "Arrested Development" in a completely different case than the two previous releases (a double-keepcase vs. 3 slimcases) and it matches much better than a "South Park" release where the packaging configuration wasn't changed.

edit: for some reason the shift in position on the left-hand side (as opposed to the right-hand site that traditionally faces out on book, CD and DVD spines) is less-pronounced than the more-common right-hand side.

I've flipped all my "South Park" seasons on the shelf. Season 8 still doesn't match perfectly but it certainly looks better this way.

7. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I used to be a stickler for uniformity. "Everybody Loves Raymond" and "Friends" look great sitting on my shelf as the spines are alligned perfectly. Then you have shows like "Frasier" where the spine on each season is completely different. Even the title on each spine is in a different location. Then we have the "Spongebob Squarepants" seasons, where each box is a different size. The second season box is larger than the first, and the third is smaller than the first two. Now season 4, volume 1 is going to be even smaller than that.

As for "South Park", it would've been nice to have the spines alligned for every season, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

8. Matthew_B

Matthew_B Agent

Sorry, didn't want to create a whole new thread just for this (though I do like the cover for S8!), I purchased this today and briefly watched the beginnings of each episode just to listen to the mini-commentaries, and noticed that episode "You Got F'd in the A" is the censored version. In it, the leader kid's hat says "Lil Sheep" instead of "Lil Shiit" which they changed when the episode re-aired on Comedy Central (IIRC).

Somehow doesn't seem like such a controversy to necessitate making the change for the DVD release? (Considering the other stuff SP gets away with showing, hard to believe someone compained about the kid's hat...)