South Park Season 4

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ReaganG, Jul 2, 2004.

1. ReaganG

ReaganG Agent

Did anyone else have problems with the first disc? Right out of the packaging, it has a ton of skippy moments. I can't watch half the episodes. There aren't any scrathces or anything. I'm puzzled. My other DVD player wont even try to play it at all.
    Anyone know if I can send this to Paramount and get a replacement? The lack of extras in the set kind of sucked too.

2. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Reagan,

No problems on my Toshiba SD-106 DVD-ROM drive running PowerDVD XP. What players did you use? That might help others with the same models diagnose the problem.

You should be able to exchange the disc with the retailer you bought it from.

As far as extras go, there are bite-size commentaries on each episode. Matt & Trey talk about each episode until they run out of interesting things to say (about 5 min). This avoids the inevitable tedium and redundancy of full-length commentaries such as on The Simpsons.

3. ReaganG

ReaganG Agent

I used a Toshiba and a Panasonic portable one. It was bad on both. And I didn't touch it at all. [​IMG] I bought it at Best Buy and I'm not sure if they will take back opened DVD's.

I like the commentary minis that they have, but it always feels like they are full of funny stories about each episode, but they always cut it short. [​IMG] They didn't have anything else in the set. That bums me out. I hope they include more on the next set.

4. ReaganG

ReaganG Agent

I used a Toshiba and a Panasonic portable one. It was bad on both. And I didn't touch it at all. [​IMG] I bought it at Best Buy and I'm not sure if they will take back opened DVD's.

I like the commentary minis that they have, but it always feels like they are full of funny stories about each episode, but they always cut it short. [​IMG] They didn't have anything else in the set. That bums me out. I hope they include more on the next set.

5. Jon_Gu

Jon_Gu Stunt Coordinator

I bought one of the Law and Order sets from Best Buy and had problems with the last disc, my Toshiba DVD player would stutter and lock up, so would my HP notebook. I took it back to BB with the receipt and they exchanged the entire set, no problem.

6. Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr Second Unit

I've returned bad discs to Best Buy too with receipt. In fact, I brought back a 'Friends' disc which was a duplicate of another in the set even though it had the correct label. Anyhow, I only had to bring in the bad disc itself with receipt and they swapped it from a brand new set in the store.

7. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

No problem with the first disc or any other disc in this set. I really love the NAMBLA episode.

8. Rob Gardiner

I love it too. Unfortunately, it was the last episode I watched before hearing the bad news this morning. [​IMG]

9. ReaganG

ReaganG Agent

What bad news?

10. Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark Second Unit

yeah, what news?
    anyone?

11. Rhoq

Rhoq Supporting Actor

I believe the "bad news" they are referring to would be the passing of actor Marlon Brando.

12. Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark Second Unit

D'oh! of course!!! NAMBLA etc.
    For an awful moment I thought something had happened to Trey or Matt!

13. Rob Gardiner

Sorry to scare you guys!

Yeah, I found the coincidence chilling -- Thursday nite, in the wee hours of the morning, I watch Dr. Mephisto preside over the NAMBLA meeting -- National Association of Marlon Brando Look-Alikes. The Friday morning I open Yahoo and see the headline...

14. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I just bought this set a few days ago, having only seen half the episodes on CC.

I didn't have any problems with the first DVD.

Really, I prefer the full length ones, especially form Trey & Matt. Either drunk or sober, they always have interesting things to say.
    and on this set, there are alot of times they stop the commentary, just when something really interesting is being talked about. Next set(s) I vote for full length commentaries.

15. WillG

WillG Producer

Definately an ironic situation. They fear doing full length commentaries because they feel they might get boring. But if there are any two people who wouldn't get boring in commentary, it's those two.

In one of the "Commentary Minis" on Season 3, didn't they say something to the effect of "Let us know if you want us to keep going with these commentaries in the next season" or something like that? If they have any outlet for feedback we should pound them with full length commentary requests.

16. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Have you heard the full-length tracks for Season One? They have some great moments but they DO sag moderately frequently. I'd still prefer full-length to "mini", but I can't fault them for their choice, as it must be really tough for two guys to find much to say over all those shows. Now if they added other personnel ala Simpsons...

17. WillG

WillG Producer

Unfortunately, no, I have not

18. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I just want to agree with the frustration over cutting the commentaries too short. While I like the fact that the commentaries are short and don't have long pauses, I hate when Matt and Trey feel like they have to stop talking after about 2 minutes like they are somehow boring us.

They do realizse that if we're bored, we can just turn off the commentary? Or if they've got a lot to talk about, why not go on for like 10 mintues. They don't have to do an entire episodes worth, but the few minute versions are too quick and more annoying than long ones.Exactly.

19. john mcfadden

john mcfadden Stunt Coordinator

Have you heard the full-length tracks for Season One

Unfortunately, no, I have not

go to their website www.southparkstudios.com
    look under downloads for each episode commentary
    i listened to all of them with the season one set running and i dont understand what all the fuss was about for omitting them from the set ...so what they said that contact sucked....IT DID SUCK !...anywho just a heads up ..good commentary tracks too

20. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Season 4 has to be the funniest DVD in my collection. Cartman joins NAMBLA and Fourth Grade are worth the price themselves.