What's new

South Park: Complete Season 2 Announced (1 Viewer)

Anthony Liz

Stunt Coordinator

Warner Brothers announces "all eighteen episodes from the classic second season of Comedy Central's all-time highest rated series are now available to own in an exclusive 3-disc collector's edition DVD set with "kick-ass" special features."

Features:

Full Frame
English Dolby Digital 2.0
English, French, and Spanish subtitles
Documentary
Music Video
TV Spot
Making Of

South Park: Complete Second Season is scheduled for release on 6/03/2003 with a retail tag of $49.98.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Just like the first, I'll probably get this one if it's cheap. The lack of commentaries is annoying, though (especially since my check for the first set of commentaries was cashed on Jan. 6th and I still haven't received them...though I did call last week and magically they should be here sometime this week :rolleyes:).

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
No commentary = No sale!!

I was really hoping to have the whole collection, it looks like my season one is going on Ebay as soon as my commentary CDs arrive, which is supposed to be early this week.

James Reader

Screenwriter
I don't know why everyone is going on about the lack of commentaries? If the Warner debacle never happened, would you still be expecting commentaries?

So far according to epguides.com there have been 97 episodes. At approx 20 mins each that's a staggering thirty-two and a third hours. Do you really expect commentaries from 2 people for over 32 hours? Futurama has many more people doing the commentaries, but half-way through season 2 it was clear that they didn't really have much more to say about the show.

I expect the commentaries on the first set were arranged because they could talk about creating the characters and the show. What you expect people to be saying in season 4 I don't know.

Still I could see say, 3-6 episodes per set being singled out for commentaries.

Damn Warner!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I don't know why everyone is going on about the lack of commentaries? If the Warner debacle never happened, would you still be expecting commentaries?
Coulda, woulda, shoulda. The point is that the Warner debacle did happen. I wouldn't be so angry about the lack of commentaries on Season 2, if I hadn't gotten screwed on season one. My check for the CDs was cashed on December 10th, and guess what...still no discs. When I'm treated like this, and and I still see the damn "Special Commentary CD" commercials on Comedy Central, there is no way in hell that I'm buying any more seasons.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Well, last time i found season 1 on-line for 9.99 at (uh...i don't remember where). If it's like that again, fo sheazy I'll get it.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Commentary on TV shows is definitely iffy... I haven't heard the Futurama ones yet, but on Season 2 Simpsons, they begin to repeat themselves with alarming regularity. I would prefer maybe a 30-60 "season overview" interview segment where they touch upon things of interest in each episode, with MAYBE occasional complete commentaries for special/unusual episodes (a la Buffy/Angel).

In fact, I'm getting rather tired of commentaries in general. There are few I've heard that couldn't have been recapped in a short documentary... or even in a 2-4 page "production notes" booklet.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Cool. I can't wait to own Season 2 of South Park. I will pick up South Park Season 2. Season 1 & Season 2 are my favorite seasons of South Park.

The lack of commentaries doesn't bother me. I am happy just to have the seasons on DVD.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Commentary or not, I'm picking it up. Love South Park and I don't owe any of the other discs.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

To answer your question "YES"

The first season was on my buy-list when the commentaries were originally announced and then I pulled it from my buy-list when they were removed. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of adding the discs back onto my buy list when the rebate-offer was announced.

I don't need DVD to watch SOUTHPARK since it seems like it's always on on Comedy Central. The only way that I buy is if significant extras are included and from what they've listed, this set does not meet my requirements.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll pick it up despite having no commentaries, what I hope is on them though are the introductions like season one. I must have Baking bacon with macon!!

James Reader

Screenwriter
"This is our favorite episode!" - strangely most people I know don't like the introductions :frowning:

Perhaps the solution for the commentaries would be to mix Matt and Trey commentaries on selected episodes with in-character commentaries on the rest of the episodes.

Still, I suppose thanks to Warner, this will never happen and isn't really worth discussing.

TedT

Second Unit
No commentaries, no sale for me! I already got them all on video! Why bother?

A little 5 minute interview with Trey & Matt for each episode explaining little things about it and telling a little story or two about it would be welcome instead of commentaries. Trey & Matt are smart enough to fill up 20 minutes of intelligent commentary themselves for each episode, though.

However, if I can find it for $9.99, I would pick it up.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Comedy Central will do the same thing with the CD commentary? Have you noticed that the Insomniac DVD comes with a CD of Dave's comedy act. Maybe this CD thing is something that CC will do with all of its releases.

Side note: To add to the frustration about the commentaries being on CD, does is piss anyone else off that the comedy central commecials mention Cartmans rendition of O'Holy Night, yet show the updated version (that was in a much later Christmas special) while the version on the DVD was the 'original' music short that ran as a commercial? (The one with the cattle prod)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Side note: To add to the frustration about the commentaries being on CD, does is piss anyone else off that the comedy central commecials mention Cartmans rendition of O'Holy Night, yet show the updated version (that was in a much later Christmas special) while the version on the DVD was the 'original' music short that ran as a commercial? (The one with the cattle prod)
It doesn't piss me off. The footage shown on the commercial is part of the "Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics" episode, so we'll eventually get it on DVD. The footage that is on the DVD isn't actually part of any episode so it's a good thing that it's available on the discs at all. One thing's for sure, Comedy Central shouldn't be advertising the "MHCC" footage on their commercials, but we'll have both versions in the end.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I have to agree with MarkHastings about it being faulty advertising. The O Holy Night on the season 1 DVD is the music short which was shown during the first Season of South Park.

The commerical (which I haven't seen since I watch very little television) should not use the O Holy Night footage from Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics because Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics episode is from Season 3. The commerical needed to use the O Holy Night footage from 1997 because that is what is on the Season 1 DVD.

It's False Advertising, plain & simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks