South Park Audio "Pops" - Probably Old News Can't Search Site

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mark Hammon, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Mark Hammon

Mark Hammon Stunt Coordinator

I tried to do a search on HTF for over and hour and got the same message:

"Sorry. Due to high server loads the search function is disabled. Please try your search again in a few minutes."

Anyway, I finally got the SOUTH PARK First Season DVD box set and encountered a "popping" or "clicking" on the audio track of disc one. I spent an hour trying to search HTF and then another hour searching the "web" and found that in fact there are "pops" on the audio tracks of "some" sets. Since I can't search HTF can someone tell me if there is a fixed pressing OR if they are all bad. I don't want to waste my time watching defective discs if I know I can return them and get a fixed set.

Thanks.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It all depends on your player whether you hear them or not, probably having to do with gain control and error corrections. From what I've heard they're on the master tape.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Yep- clicks were in the original Rhino discs, and were never corrected for the boxed sets.

-Vince

4. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

Same here, had the problem with pops as well. I only noticed it on certain episodes. Warner has a lot of work to do for the second season on June 3rd.

5. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

The "pops" only appear on the first six episodes, which if I remember correctly were the episodes released on the first two volumes of the single-DVD releases. They're the episodes with the "fireside" introductions. Episodes 6-12 don't have them, they're the ones with the "cowboy" introductions. Episode 13 was the first episode with the "old folks home" introductions. I assume the other 5 intros in this series will appear on the first 5 episodes of the 2nd season. In any case, Warner Bros. doesn't really seem to care about the pops. Universal may get a lot of grief for letting the BTTF problem happen but at least they did something about it.

6. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

I bought the first 3 DVDs from Rhino on their street dates and had the horrible pops on them. A year later I traded them in for new ones and had no pops, on the same DVD/receiver set up. Now I wish I didn't ditch them in anticipation of getting the box set.

--Ian

7. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Yup, really totally unforgivable IMO, and then the commentary fiasco...I want to buy the future SP releases, but I think CC doesn't deserve another nickel from me.

8. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

CC is the one who put out the commentaries. it was Warner that pulled them. Be mad at Warner, not Comedy Central.