What's new

South Park animation Question... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I know that it's a 3D animated show made to look like Crappy CArdboard cutouts...but a question. When the characters turn to front, and/or side, view, how do you suppose this is done? I'm trying to duplicate this effect for a Director 7 game, but can't seem to pull off something that matches the show.

Thanks.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Correct me if I'm mistaken:
Many moons ago, I saw a special on TeleToon that discussed with Trey Parker and Matt Stone how the show is produced. As I recall, libraries of (digital) 2-d body part cutouts were used within custom software.
Put simply, the appropriate mouth expressions, etc. are dragged and dropped onto the appropriate character's appropriate body position depending on which way the character is facing.
edit:more info?

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Pretty simple. They have a front view of the character, and a side view of the character. When they go to turn to the side, they put the side head on for a frame or two and then put the side body on. Then when they go back, they put the front view head on (which looks pretty funny in a freeze frame) and then the front view body.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hmm, strange. For some reason that simple thought never occured to me. Figured they just switched between the front and side view so far, the eye never noticed it.
Anyway, here's an early rendition nof the new versions of the characters.
Link Removed
I tried to get as close a match as possible to the originals. Still have yet to work a Side view on 'em. The Original game that this rework is based on, can be viewed Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks