What's new

South Park 6 Censoring (1 Viewer)

Beau

Supporting Actor
I don't remember where, but I think I read somewhere that Matt and Trey DID like FG. I remember a quote like that in a different interview with them and they seemed to not hate FG, but rather something about not like being compared to a different show or something. Anyone else remember this and know what they said exactlly? Or am I remembering wrong?

Shawn_Sm

Stunt Coordinator
Add me to the list of those who think it's less funny without the beeps. I call it the "Osbournes effect". :D

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I don't get what is so bad about FG, explain to me why it sucks so bad? I think it has it's moments, it's definately overrated and I cannot believe some people say it's better than South Park and Simpsons, but I'd still take it over ANY reality show (yes, even Survivor or Amazing Race) or Joey or Two And A Half Men or 7th Heaven or the ilk. I think "Futurama" is the explanation for the hatred that Simpsons-creators have towards it. Futurama and Family Guy were launched on DVD practically the same time (as so on Fox in 99), they were supposed to be rivals, but yet FG's DVD and rerun ratings were so much bigger that Fox renewed it yet they never talked about bringing Futurama back, I bet that has the bulk to do with why they hate FG so much.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

No matter how you interpret these comments, it's an undeniable slam on "Family Guy". Calling a comparison the meanest thing ever said to them, saying it "hurts so bad" and comparing it to a kick to the testicles is pretty conclusive.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

well, even though you hate FG, no point in slamming the voice talent. Most people consider Alex Borstein the greatest Mad TV alumni, and "Miss Swan" was definately the most famous character in that shows history. Seth Green's had plenty of success in both television and film, arguably so much success I'm shocked he can be committed to doing such a show (since I know he left Buffy because he had too much commitment at the time). Mila Kunis has a long-running hit in the form of That 70's Show.

Even if you hate the show and MacFarlane, you can't say it has a cast of nobodies.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

and that is absolutely true. They aren't known for their voiceover work and if you've ever watched "Family Guy" you'll see why the show will never produce a Billy West or a Dan Castellaneta. They just aren't very good at it. You can't just cast an actor known for live-action and expect them to have what it takes to make it as a voiceover actor. The VO in "Family Guy" is atrocious and amateurish. None of the "Family Guy" VO actors are capable of originality or diversity. One of MacFarlane's major characters is nothing more than an impression of Rex Harrison, another is ripped off from a George Carlin comedy album and the third is just his regular speaking voice. Seth Green has admitted that his character is based on Buffalo Bill from "The Silence of the Lambs" and Mila Kunis's character is, yet again, her regular speaking voice. Alex Borstein's "Lois" voice is somewhat original but it's just plain annoying. Compare this to something like "The Simpsons", "Futurama" and "South Park" where most of the castmembers play several characters with much more diversity and you'd be hard-pressed to defend the mediocrety in "Family Guy". People cite the lack of a large cast of characters as a major difference between "Family Guy" and "The Simpsons" but it's apparant to me that the cast just isn't capable of doing more than 3 or 4 characters each.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I don't think Family Guy is a great award-winning show, it's nowhere as creative as The Simpsons and it totally lacks the biting social commentary of South Park (AND I HAVE SAID IT'S INFERIOR TO THOSE TWO SHOWS!!!), but you know, it's funny... something you can't say about most of the LIVE-ACTION crap on the air. It makes me laugh, which is more than I can say about Joey or any of the sitcoms on WB or CBS (save How I Met Your Mother and Out Of Practice, which I mostly only watch because it has alumni from past favorites).

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I think animation gives anything a sort of false credibility. I honestly think the quality of writing on "Family Guy" is just as bad as any of the terrible shitcoms like "Yes Dear" but you add some crappy pop-culture references from the late 70's or early 80's and some insincere, forced "offensive" content and a bunch of stoned college kids will think it's clever. I actually think that makes it worse than something like "Yes Dear" because their "edgyness" just seems so completely dishonest and fake. "Family Guy" is like Poochy from "Itchy and Scratchy".

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
1. I'm out of college and I don't smoke pot, never have never will, so don't make this assumption about me (since you said it's all stoned frat boys who like it)

2. I don't think Family Guy is "clever", just think it has it's funny moments.

Comparing Yes Dear and Family Guy is almost sacreligious. Family Guy IS overrated (did you get where I said that before? I really am hardpressed when people say it's better than The Simpsons and South Park), but Yes Dear is probably the worst sitcom to make it past a second season since Full House IMO. That's like comparing an Adam Sandler movie, which IS funny, albeit childish and not award-worthy but still has moments that might crack a smile, with Freddie Got Fingered, which was hideous and deserved it's Razzies.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I don't think "Family Guy" is funny, though. It's just as poorly written as "Yes Dear". Once again, I have to bring up "false credibility". The jokes you see on "Family Guy" are EVERY BIT as tedious as something like "Yes Dear". I once saw an episode of "Family Guy" where they were at a petting zoo and Brian put feed in Stewie's pocket, which resulted in Stewie getting chased around by all the barnyard animals. That joke literally could be placed into something like "Full House" with absolutely no adaptation whatsoever. The quality of writing is obscenely bad and their attempts to be edgy and offensive fall flat, which completely invalidates the show. Shows like "Yes Dear" and "Full House" don't try to be anything but shitty sitcoms but "Family Guy" has this obnoxious "look at how edgy we are, can you believe we're getting away with this?" attitude that makes the awful writing all the more irritating. Does the show feature content more offensive than your average network show? Yes, but it's just not funny. The show is a failure on every level. The writers have no sense of timing, the characters are all completely unlikeable, the jokes are predictable (which is inexcusable when "random" is the worst most used to describe the show's humor), they use pop-culture references as a crutch, the voiceover talent is mediocre and the animation is completely unremarkable and uninteresting. I really think it's sad that Americans can't get over the novelty of seeing a cartoon do things that aren't G-rated.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Supposedly, "Futurama" is coming back. Not as a weekly series but as Direct to DVD releases. I saw an interview with Billy West in TV guide where he confirmed that D.T.D. "Futurama" has been green lit by Fox.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
TV shows are like beef, ground beef isn't as great as a piece of Filet Mignon, but should I be riddiculed for liking burgers???? :rolleyes

Bill, enough with the Family Guy bashing, we get it! You don't like it. But to those of us who DO like it, your comments are extremely insulting and very uncalled for.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I don't get insulted when people hate the things I like. If anyone should be insulted, it's the completely inept cast & crew of "Family Guy", not you.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Bill, go into the Bronx and yell out "Yankees SUCK!", and then tell the fans that you really don't hate them, just the team.

I'm sure they'd understand ;)

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Wasn't this thread about South Park Season 6?

Let's just take this off-topic a little further. I hate clowns! Discuss.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
You could say that my anti-"Family Guy" rantings are somewhat on-topic in this thread since Trey Parker and Matt Stone hate "Family Guy" as well.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
well, it's about as on-topic as trashing Magnolia in a Clerks thread because Kevin Smith hated it. (it was the first analogy that came to me that matched the situation)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks