South Park - 3/31/04

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by ThomasC, Mar 24, 2004.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Yes, a thread created for an episode that doesn't air for a week. But, as soon as I saw the promo, I just had to post something about it. Kyle finally sees The Passion of the Christ! I can't wait!

2. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Ah ha, I was wondering why this was here a week early, and now I know. I missed the promo, but I won't be missing the episode.

I wonder how they'll do this considering Jesus lives in South Park. Maybe Kyle will ask him who's fault it was?

3. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

I loved his faces in the promo. So horrified.

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Tonight's the night! [​IMG]

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I thought there were some missed opportunities here. Not getting the real Jesus involved, as Casey pointed out, was a bit of a failure. Portraying Mel as insane was a cop-out on the magnitude of the Crab-People Fab-5 without the charming randomness. And the Cartman as Hitler/Kyle apologist storylines left me cold. I always enjoyed Cartman being an asshole, but going to those extremes pushed him beyond likeable TV asshole. And Kyle dressed as a High Priest stabbing Jesus with a spear was one of the more uncomfortable moments I've watched on television.

There were some good bits in it; the BASEketball throwaway line in particularly had me rolling. Stan generally doesn't get much to do, so him and Kenny just plain not liking the movie was a fun touch.

Overall, in an effort to skew the hypersensitives on both sides of the film as well as Mel Gibson himself, whatever point they were trying to make got lost along the way.

This episode had great potential; it certainly had the balls, I just wish it had the focus.

6. WillG

WillG Producer

I think you hit the nail right on the head there. I was thinking the exact same thing. They are making Cartman look downright Evil. Some parts were pretty good. I thought the Mel Gibson bits were kind of funny, because it does seem like he is a little bit too into his Catholic beliefs. And this is coming from a Catholic. I liked when he was chasing the bus in the Braveheart makeup. That made me laugh.

I think the point was that people should not be taking this film as seriously as some have been. Whether you are Catholic or Jewish.

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah...it was okay, but not great. I was also hoping that they'd work Jesus into it, but oh well. Can't win 'em all.

8. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I was kind of let down by the episode. I thought they had a great opportunity with the fact that Jesus resides in South Park, but they passed on it. I'm not surprised that Cartman reacted that way, but it is a bit too much IMO. Not as good as it could've been.

9. Rob Bartlett

Rob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

Cartman is evil. He's been evil for a while. He turned a kid's parents into chilli and made him eat it. Granted, that's not quite Hitler-like in scope, but he was more effective then in this episode. Besides, in the first season he saw footage of Hitler in action, and saw him as an idol. This is not a stretch for him by any means.

I enjoyed the epsiode, but maybe that's because I'm on Matt and Trey's side on the whole The Passion thing. And Crazy Mel Gibson is funny.

10. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

I was surprised they left Jesus out, but I thought this was one of the most over-the-top episodes in a while, especially when Crazy Mel showed up. That was some funny stuff.

As far as Cartman goes, I was just like eh, that's just Cartman.

11. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

And let's not forget that Cartman has always been putting down Kyle for being Jewish. So it's not like this something out of the blue.

And this was a hilarious episode. Mel Gibson channeling Daffy Duck was priceless.

12. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Great ! Great! Great!
    I was hoping they would do a half hour dedicated to this overrated and bloated movie and they did a f***in fantastic job!
    Loved the end scene too.

Exactly true and you notice that they only thing you heard in the theater was screaming? Many have said that the film concentrated to much on the murder and I think thats one of the points that it was trying to make as well.

13. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Brilliant satire of a bad film. Bravo Trey and Matt!!!

14. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I'm going to agree with the others here who say there was an opportunity missed.

I think the perfect example how South Park can parody a movie is the show the previous night regarding the Lord of the Rings movies. That episode is hilarious and has some great moments in it.

The Passion episode last night, just didn't have those qualities that the Ring's episode had.

The episode itself did show how people can go overboard with this movie, but it may of went to far in trying to be funny, instead of just being funny. I thought the Mel Gibson scenes were over the top and not funny and during the scene where Mel pooped on Cartman, it reminded me of the new Ren and Stimpy show where they tried to by funny by being gross. I thought the joke was going to be that Cartman never saw The Passion and was only going by what was presented in the media.

This is probably the first South Park episode I was disappointed in with what they could of done regarding the subject matter.

Paul

15. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I thought one of the opportunities missed is explaining Cartman's hatred of Jews. Maybe they'll do it in a later episode. Generally I thought it was a good episode but I wouldn't list it as one of my favorites.

16. Tom Foley

Tom Foley Stunt Coordinator

I really only caught the last two thirds of the episode, but I agree with the majority sentiment here, which spells bad news for SP. Ususally at worst, people are split down the middle over an episode, and usually those episodes have something quirky and endearing about them. This one really didn't.

It's too often now that the plot revolves around Cartman having a plan for something really crazy and Stan, Kyle and Kenny don't agree with it, and they don't get involved. It went so far that on one episode, Stan just said, "We're not gonna touch this one."

I hope that this episode represents the culmination (and conclusion) to Cartman's anti-Semitism. It's usually pretty funny, like when Cartman thought the term "Jew" was actually derogatory. And dressing up like Hitler for Halloween is one thing, but actually leading people in an SS-style march is just not funny.

It felt like a bunch of re-treaded ideas: parodying Warner Bros. cartoons, breaking into celebrity mansions, Cartman launching a movement (how many is that now?), random insanity from a celebrity they're spoofing, poo-smearing, etc. And the moral conclusion was just a let-down. "We shouldn't be focusing on the death of Jesus, we should be focusing on his life!" Yeah, thanks guys, that's only been said everywhere for the past month!

They've got a lot of work to do on this next episode to regain the confidence of the audience. They should start by avoiding pop culture and current topics altogether.

17. Neil M

Neil M Stunt Coordinator

This is why SP is such a great and relevant show. This episode was brilliant in several ways.

1. Cartman's hatred of Kyle has been going on since the show started and he has always equated it with Kyle being Jewish. In recent episodes, Cartman has been praising The Passion and Mel Gibson. He finally has his reason to hate not only Jews but specifically Kyle. This is what the controversy surrounding the Passion was all about. Fear that anti-semitism would come back into the mainstream. This is exactly what they are making fun of. Cartman as the reincarnation of Hitler is so over the top that no one can take it seriously. In fact, all of his followers in the episode had no idea what he was even talking about. They just thought he really loved the movie.

2. Showing a looney Mel Gibson was a critique on the fact that a Hollywood star making a religious film seems almost like an oxymoron. The question is how can a guy that is crazy make such an important film that affects the lives of so many people?

3. Seeing Kyle stab Jesus would be shocking if not for the fact that he is terrified of doing it. It is his nightmare after seeing the movie. It shows his state of mind in believing that he is responsible for the death of Jesus.

4. The fact that they didn't use Jesus from South Park. It wouldn't make any sense to even show him in an episode about his death. This is one of those episodes where they had to pretend he doesn't exist in their society. In fact, I can't even remember the last episode he was in. It's possible that they stopped using his character. I suspect he won't be in any episodes this season.

I could go on forever but these things make this a great and underappreciated episode.

18. Neil M

Neil M Stunt Coordinator

I should also mention that this is probably not the last reference to The Passion. According to one of the websites, they are planning an episode called The Passion of the Easter Bunny. This might be more of the parody that people were looking for in this episode.

19. Tom Foley

Tom Foley Stunt Coordinator

Neil, I BELIEVE, but I'm not totally sure, that the episode aired yesterday, "The Passion of the Jew," replaced "The Passion of the Easter Bunny." There still is an unnamed episode 802 that has yet to air, so it could be that one. But I'm thinking that they originally wanted to do a "Passion of the Christ"-spoof episode, and first it was going to involve the Easter Bunny, but then they changed it to what we saw last night. I hope there's not going to be another Passion episode. Enough of the Passion already. There's already going to be a resurgence this weekend with Palm Sunday.

As for the next episode, I'm wondering if Butters will continue to have an injured eye? Will they replace it with a glass eye?

20. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

One of the most common targets of the show is the self-importance and pompousness of Hollywood, so it is no surprise they're going to spend a lot of time on the ultimate vanity project: a Hollywood megastar making a movie that combines his blood-obsession and religion.

And I think it's pretty damn funny.

I also loved that Gibson was yelling "Kapla!"[​IMG]