What's new

South Pacific on the big screen 2018 (1 Viewer)

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Saw the TCM presents digital presentation yesterday on a fairly large screen and with good sound. Really appreciate this film so much more after seeing it that way. Even with the color.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, the theaters around me who do these special showings tend to use a fairly crappy projector for them. Bums me out because I'd love to see decent screenings of older films.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Unfortunately, the theaters around me who do these special showings tend to use a fairly crappy projector for them. Bums me out because I'd love to see decent screenings of older films.

Same where I live. Always the smallest auditorium and the sound is never loud enough, and often no surround.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Saw the TCM presents digital presentation yesterday on a fairly large screen and with good sound. Really appreciate this film so much more after seeing it that way. Even with the color.

Glad you had a good experience. Did they include a real Intermission, or just let it play through?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That's unfortunately my biggest deterrent from attending these screenings. The last time I went to one, when I purchased the ticket in advance, it was scheduled to be in one of the largest auditoriums in the theater complex, but when I arrived for the show, it had already been moved into the smallest room.

A major "2001" re-release just wrapped up, where that film played in IMAX for a week. Over on the threads for that one, there's a surprising amount of disinterest in seeing the film that way because it's only 99.9% perfect instead of 100% perfect (I'm maybe exaggerating the discontent but only slightly), and I just don't get the naysayers. I keep saying there that the overwhelming majority of re-releases this day end up being like this South Pacific run - limited number of shows, small auditoriums, often not the best screens or sound systems - and that this chance to see "2001" on the biggest and best screens in the country is not to be missed.

I hope that the "2001" release was financially successful for all involved, because I'd love to see IMAX and other premium screens getting the occasional classic movie showing like South Pacific. South Pacific on a small multiplex screen with poor sound doesn't appeal to me; South Pacific on the biggest screen in the theater with an incredible audio and visual presentation would.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Saw South Pacific yesterday. Good-sized screen; image filled it, no bars at top and bottom. Sound was clear and directional. i could hear all different orchestral instruments placed within the sound spectrum. Beautiful image, including the color filters!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
That's unfortunately my biggest deterrent from attending these screenings. The last time I went to one, when I purchased the ticket in advance, it was scheduled to be in one of the largest auditoriums in the theater complex, but when I arrived for the show, it had already been moved into the smallest room.

A major "2001" re-release just wrapped up, where that film played in IMAX for a week. Over on the threads for that one, there's a surprising amount of disinterest in seeing the film that way because it's only 99.9% perfect instead of 100% perfect (I'm maybe exaggerating the discontent but only slightly), and I just don't get the naysayers. I keep saying there that the overwhelming majority of re-releases this day end up being like this South Pacific run - limited number of shows, small auditoriums, often not the best screens or sound systems - and that this chance to see "2001" on the biggest and best screens in the country is not to be missed.

I hope that the "2001" release was financially successful for all involved, because I'd love to see IMAX and other premium screens getting the occasional classic movie showing like South Pacific. South Pacific on a small multiplex screen with poor sound doesn't appeal to me; South Pacific on the biggest screen in the theater with an incredible audio and visual presentation would.

You're not exaggerating the discontent and it seems to come pretty much from just a couple of people - who sound alarm bells, then when they're told it's projection, agree, while continuing to sound alarm bells. Whether the screenings are perfect or whether the Blu-ray/4K disc is perfect is in the eye of the beholder - the fact that people scrutinize like that while watching a film is fairly astonishing to me, but that's probably just me. :)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
BTW, when the transfer of South Pacific was first done for Blu-ray (and I'd assume that's what's being screened here, Fox screened it at the old Warner Cinerama Theatre - on a reasonably large screen (although nowhere near as large as a Cinerama screen obviously - it looked pretty good as I recall and that was a decade ago, I believe.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
They really played through the intermission. Not even a brief "intermission" slide and the entr'acte music. It just went on to the next scene. Also no overture.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The overture and entr'acte were included on the non-roadshow version of the blu-ray.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Well since this was a Fathoms release it was sent to the theatres over satellite, so a Blu-Ray was not used, they used Fox’s DCP to send the information.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.