What's new

"South Pacific" Disc of the year? (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
:laugh: I have always loved that story too. And frankly, she was soo right.

I just received the BD, finally. Could only view a few scenes yet - wow!

This is the sort of movie, I love to just sit down and enjoy watching.
Not even judging the quality of the movie itself in a meticulous way while doing so (given the fact that it's not horrendous to begin with). It's going to happen this weekend, among some other music.

A fine disc to own.

Cees

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sorry for being off-topic, but:

I am in a conventional dither,
With a conventional star in my eye.
And you will note there's a lump in my throat
When I speak of that wonderful guy!

I'm as trite and as gay as a daisy
in May, A cliché comin' true!
I'm bromidic and bright
As a moon-happy night
Pourin' light on the dew!

I'm as corny as Kansas in August,
High as a flag on the Fourth of July!
If you'll excuse an expression I use,
I'm in love, I'm in love,
I'm in love, I'm in love,
I'm in love with a wonderful guy!

Nobody did it better than Oscar! :emoji_thumbsup:

:D

Back on topic: My copy of South Pacific is on it's way from amazon.com! Can't wait! It will be accompanying The Robe! There's a double bill!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

John Skoda

Second Unit

They could have reduced the saturation of the filters, but I don't think they could have removed them. We don't have the technology to remove them even today.

Unless...

they shot alternate versions of scenes without the filters for protection?

Evidence? Take a look at the trailer. It seems to me I noticed a shot of "A Wonderful Guy" in there that was in "real" color with no filter or vignette effect.... Interesting!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
In Joshua Logan's autobiography he talks about the controversy of the filters. He wrote that he was told by the lab that if he did not like the way they looked, the colors could be removed. He did not like the look and when he said so, they told him they could not be removed. He said he was upset but there was nothing he could do about it. On a lighter side, he told a story of when he was in England and someone came up to him and wanted to ask a question about the filters. He took a deep breath and immediately said he did not like them and wished he did not use them. The surprised person, stated that he liked the filters and just wanted to know if it was his brilliant idea to use them. Mr. Logan goes on to say that he received many compliments on the use of the filters during his visit. He still did not like them.

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel

I love that line! I'm not even a musical fan and I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, especially given the lush spectacle of the Blu-ray presentation. Musicals tend by their very nature to be fairly trite, but you've got to give R&H credit in that they at least try to introduce some weighty topics, if only to give an operatic feel to their films.

Blu-ray of the year? maybe not. We've still got half a year to go and a lot of cool stuff in the hopper, but South Pacific is definitely demo quality disk, filters and all, IMHO and a damn fine example of epic Hollywood musicals.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
My viewpoint is that it is always about the film, first and foremost particularly when the thread title has 'disc of the year' attached. No matter how good the disc is nobody is going to vote any film disc of the year unless the film matters.

Having said that, that doesn't mean that we can't appreciate a studio putting out a fine release of a classic film. It also doesn't mean someone should come in and dump a thread fart either.

I Netflixed South Pacific on blu-ray. Fantastic eye-candy. Other than the first reel, the film looks terrific. I'm also a fan of the music of the film. A lot of terrific songs. I have not seen this film in a very long time. I was surprised at the production numbers, it all looks like the film was done on the cheap.

Regarding the colored filters/effects I didn't mind it for the Bali Hai scene but thought it was ill-conceived for the other scenes. I think the audience can make the mental leap that the girl is swept up by the beauty all around her without gong for the Vaseline on the edges of the lens look.

Mitzi Gaynor was a huge error in casting. Quite frankly, it's hard to watch her scenes. Rossano Brazzi? Good singer and good film presence but it's cringeable watching him portray a Frenchman. At the very least, they should have coached him to say 'bonjour' correctly.

So, terrific video transfer of a mediocre film does not a 'disc of the year' make. If Fox does this kind of work with some of their other films, I'm sure many film fans will be quite happy.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

I can't find it now but, years ago someone used Photo Shop or something to remove the filters and they came out excellent in the screen shots that were shown. So, it can be done.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I got my copy of the BD in today's mail.

Plopped in the disc with only a few minutes to spot check some of the musical numbers. I started with "Nothing Like a Dame." I was horrified by how it looked! I was really expecting something special and was much-less-than-impressed. Then I saw some flashes of pink and realized I was watching the Roadshow version (Disc #2 was located on the right side of the case and disc #1 was covered by some paper inserts).

I quickly swapped the discs and reveled in how beautiful this film looked and sounded.

I always get so said when the beautiful colors return after the segments which use the filters. Logan was fairly uncreative with his use of the camera and choreography in most of those musical numbers.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Yes, you have all judged correctly...this is a beautiful picture on the BD.
I've purchased nearly every incarnation of this film on home video, and I've never seen it or heard it like this before.

My favorite part of the package was the new documentary, hosted by the engaging Mitzi Gaynor. It was truly in-depth, and far lengthier than most doc's from Fox.
Great job.

John Skoda

Second Unit

I should have said we barely have the capability today. After all, doesn't filming with strong color filters like those basically destroy one (or more) of the color separations? It renders a whole area of the color spectrum almost unrecoverable because the levels of whichever color aren't even being recorded on the film.

Greg_M

Screenwriter

When I saw "South Pacific" in theaters recently (a few times) There were no color filters during "Wonderful Guys" just the fog effect around the edges.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
If only other Classic Blu-ray titles looked this good.
Fox are to be congratulated on doing a magnificent job.

SOUTH PACIFIC looks and sounds absolutely stunning.

Does anybody know the source history of this new Blu-ray version?

I thought that only printed-down 35mm Cinemascope copies existed outside of the original Todd-AO 70mm Roadshow version.
This Blu-ray version has the Todd-AO screen credit and the 70mm aspect ratio to match.
If it has come from a 70mm source then that could explain why it looks so Goddam good.
If it's from 35mm Cinemascope then it's a miracle.

ps. Anybody having trouble with the lip sync on this Blu-ray disc?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Doug,

seems that they did an 8k scan of the 70mm IP for the Blu-Ray, so not a miracle but still a very nice disc
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
Nope.

Just crank the volume until the dialog is clearly intelligible and let the levels of the rest of the track fall where it may.

This was originally 70mm 6 track mag which had a much wider dynamic range than the optical tracks of the day.

Vern

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Recently watched this Blu-Ray. Absolutely stunning HD transfer. I can't imagine the movie ever looked this good in its theatrical run. Really, some of the most beautiful images I've ever had on my screen. How is it that movies don't look like this anymore? Softer colors? Different cinematography? Someone should make something this satisfying to look at; audiences would eat it up. (Even Avatar, visual marvel that it is, had many images of CG detail that just aren't the same as a Hawaiian sunset.)
Oh yeah, the movie was great too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks