What's new

SOUTH PACIFIC comes to BD (1 Viewer)

DeeF

Screenwriter
I know I'm alone on this, but the movie of South Pacific needs to be seen with the color filters. It was filmed that way, exhibited that way originally, and I do think the filters add some visual interest where there isn't any, particularly during the song "Bali H'ai."

There's no other movie that has these weird filters (no other traditional movie, anyway) and so they are the calling card of this movie. And it was very popular with them in place.

It might be a nice extra, to see the scenes in more natural light (the scenes where the filters are used), but the movie will not be the movie without those filters.

Greg_M

Screenwriter

DeeF - I also like the color filters -esp when viewed on a big screen - they do hide the weather and are great at giving atmosphere, though I also enjoyed the Roadshow version on the screen even when it had faded to pink. The Digital print looked great at the Cinerama Dome last Summer - Which is why I believe this is the first R&H title to be released (King and I and Carousel didn't look so good in the Cinemascope 55 simulated process screened a few years ago.) and has nothing to do with the Broadway revival - thought I may be in correct

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I assumed it was the revival that is why this got chosen. In the past, they were all tied to the latest repressing of The Sound of Music.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

They might try seamless branching for this one, but South Pacific was shown with filters theatrically and I agree that this is what should be on the Blu-Ray first and foremost. Make an unfiltered version an option, but nothing more.

DeeF

Screenwriter
This movie is being released on BD because it is the 50th anniversary of it (in 2008) and it does coincide with the Broadway revival. Yes, it's late for the anniversary.

I expect we'll get Oklahoma! and The Sound of Music in 2010, which will be the 55th and 45th anniversaries of each of them.

The King and I and Carousel will come in 2011 (55th anniversary).

Greg_M

Screenwriter

Amazon has a place holder for the following FOX Blu-Rays so I would expect them sometime in 2009:

The King and I
Carousel
Oklahoma
The Sound of Music
Cleapatra

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

Can you imagine the robots tearing apart "Wash that Man Right out of my Hair"? :laugh:

How about a BRD SE including a bottle of Gallo's "Bali Hai" rotgut vino? Anyone here old enough to remember that? :confused:

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

You know that scene in "Rocky Horror Picture Show" when Frankenfurter is turning the knobs on those vials of colored goo? They should intersplice that scene with the ghastly color-changing filters on Juanita Hall's face during "Bali Ha'i." THAT, at least, would give the world an explanation of why the heck she turns red, purple, blue, yellow...

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Watching this now...happily surprised at the use of Fiji scenes in the opening credits, and any of the long vistas of 'bures' which are only found here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks