South Africa's Response to Addressing Aids

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chu Gai, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

This is downright criminal.

--
    H

3. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

The 19th century called, they want Dr. Beetroot back.

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

At this rate S.Africa will have electric healing by the year 2054!

5. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

To tell the truth, I have mixed feelings about this.

This guy is a quack if he thinks you can battle aids with olive oil and garlic, no doubt. At the same time, what the hell can S Africa do about the problem? I assume the pharma companies aren't lining up to give them antivirals for free, so can they afford to treat all their citizens afflicted? How can they afford to give someone $200 worth of medicine a month if that person only makes $100/mo from their labor?

Let me calm the flames by saying that I really don't know what the situation is in S.Africa with AIDS (and how much a citizen makes a month or pharma charges for drugs), but the local govts would seem to be in an impossible situation IMHO. We live in the USA and can't seem to be able to take care of Katrina survivors very well 12 months later, what can SA do about so much of its population dying of an expensive and incurable social disease?

Is there a better way that actually works? What is it?

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

It's not a guy. As far as what they can do, if they don't have the money, then an aggressive education program might help.

7. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Yeah, they can start by teaching that screwing a virgin does not cure AIDS, it only spreads it. This may cut down on the rape crisis also. I had a coworker who spent a month in S. Africa. He had an advertisement for a S. African insurance company taped up in his cube. It said "You cover your arse, we'll cover the rest!" Any country that is so messed up that your company sends an armored Mercedes to the airport to pick you up and has an entry for body armor on your expenses sheet is a bad, bad place. Right after that, my friend had to do 2 weeks on the Left Bank of Israel. We called it his "Kevlar Tour 2001".

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

South Africa can look to Thailand as a model for what can be done with not much money and a lot of education.

Some years back, Thailand too had a looming AIDS crises, but in that country the government responded not with denial and quackery, but with aggressive education on how (other than abstinence) to prevent the spread of AIDS.

The program has been quite abstinence.

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

South Africa is far and away the most prosperous nation in Africa. To most of you, that may not be saying much, but eh... there is little I can do against the perception of the whole of Africa as the armpit of the world (and that fucking health minister certainly isn't helping [​IMG] ).

SA's GDP is 28th in a world of 200+ nations. As a gross indicator of a country development, it is ahead of places like Greece, Ireland, Portugal, Argentina, Isreal, New Zealand. South Africa's crime rate is close to the top of the cart, no question about it. But no economic engine of this size could survive in a place where armored mercedes and body armor is routinely needed to ensure one's protection. These measures are more indicative an extreme level of paranoia than the reality on the ground.

South Africa will be hosting the world's biggest sporting event in 4 years. There is no way in hell a place so dire could be afforded that privilege.

SA is one of the hot spots for africans of my generation who have studied and worked in western nations. I have a few friends and acquaintances there, and the place has been described as the perfect blend of western amenities and "african" values. While I have yet to visit, it's on my list of potential settling places. I will just make sure to allocate a significant percentage of my budget to condoms [​IMG].

(and guns)

--
    H

10. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

[​IMG]

--
    H

11. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

They also might want to try promoting circumcision...according to recent studies, it decreases the chance of catching HIV by over 70%.

12. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Can you cite any studies to back that up? That sounds pretty bogus to me.

13. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

You can read the whole thing, for free.

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Thailand's done a pretty good job with their AIDS problem which has gone a long way to alleviating the fears of vacation travellers who enjoy partaking of their active sex trade...errr, visiting historical sites.

15. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Didn't they try this though for like 10 years back in the 90s? Did it do anything to slow it down?

16. andrew markworthy

Just to sort out a couple of misconceptions.

(1) South Africa is indeed rich, as Holadem says. But the disparity in wealth is bigger than in the days of apartheid. In other words, there's a very rich minority and very poor majority. And guess which of those groups is having an AIDS problem.

(2) The Thailand model won't work in South Africa. I was at an international conference last week with some South African AIDS researchers. They said that a large part of the problem isn't knowledge but behaviour. Everyone in South Africa and elsewhere in Africa knows about AIDS and how you catch it. The problem is that so many people are so dirt poor that they'd sooner have brief 'pleasure' when they can get it, and hang the consequences. Please note that I'm not defending this behaviour but just trying to explain it.

(3) The remarks of the health official have not gone down well with a lot of South Africans either, just in case you think that the views reflect cutting edge South African research.

17. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Why was she elected or appointed?

18. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Perhaps her views are closely aligned with Mbeki's?

19. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Maybe there's a better way.

Acquired Immune Deficiency Disease.

Problem solved.