Soured on Home Theater

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisMcK, Jan 21, 2003.

1. ChrisMcK

ChrisMcK Stunt Coordinator

Hi All
    You may have read some of posts last week about getting into home theater. I didn't want to buty different components so I went with the Cambridge soundworks Megatheater. I'll start off with the good. The MC 200's as mains and MC300 as a center is great. The Surround II 5.1 speakers as surrounds are lacking in my opinion.

Here's the bad part. The receiver/dvd unit crapped out on me after a day. When I insert a disc it reads as loading and then says there is no disc but cd's play fine. Anyone have suggestions about this, short of returning the unit?

I know I will return the speakers for better ones, here is because of the 45 day no questions asked return policy. Is it abslutely necessary for rear surrounds to be dipole? (the CSW speakers actually have a swith located on the front) or are monopole ok?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Problems after just one day? Return the unit. It may help us if we know what kind of budget you have. I saw the other thread of yours re: the Cambridge soundworks.

3. ChrisMcK

My budget is between $800 and $1000. The current system is in a very small room but I kow I'll be moving within a year and that's what I'm basing my purchase decision on. What may be a bit too much for my current situatuon will be just enough for a future, larger room.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Chris, sorry to hear about the problems.

No, the rear speakers do not need to be dipole. I actually prefer ordinary monopole speakers for the rear.

(Dipole was popular in the ProLogic days where they tried to bounce the sound off of walls to hide the speaker location. Only wind/rain/ambient noises were programmed for the rears in those days. Today is a different story.)

A lot of people really like the Kenwood HTB (Home Theaters in a box). Unlike the Cambridge unit, this thing comes will all the toys as separate units. This makes it easy to upgrade slowly. I saw a fairly complete unit for about $600 that had: receiver, progressive/multi-disk DVD player, self-powered sub, 5 speakers. The speakers were small so they will not over-power your room.

Good Luck.

5. ChrisMcK

Thanks Bob
    The thing about the CSW system is that it is upgradable, so eventually I'll go with a sep recvr and dvd player.. Like I said all the fronts are great, so if I went with the same speakers that I use for my left and right mains as my L&R surrounds that would be ok? I will definately return the receiver/dvd unit to be fixed.
    Thanks
    Chris

6. Kurt_U

Kurt_U Agent

7. Jim-M

Jim-M Second Unit

Chris,

If you like the sound of the CSW speakers, why not just return the system you have and get a speakers-only package from CSW. Then you could get a separate receiver in the $300 range which would be very nice, and a decent DVD player. All that would easily fit within your budget.