Sources for used plasmas and LCD's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Cunninghm, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Scott Cunninghm

Scott Cunninghm Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering where people pick up used plasmas and LCDs for HT use. My company sells them as B-stock on a weekly basis and want to see if it would be worthwhile to market into the HT community, or to whoever sells them off. All items are high end commercial gear, not so much the consumer grade stuff you see at Best Buy. Any suggestions
    ??

2. Claire Panke

Claire Panke Second Unit

Scott, lots of people buy commercial model plasmas and many HT folks would be very intersted in deep discounts. Since most of us have tuners, set top boxes and separate audio systems, commercial displays are fine.

The main interest is in the lastest Panasonic, Pioneer and NEC models. Possibly Hitachi as well, although the ALIS screens are not as big a hit with HT buffs. Less interest in the Samsung, Sampo, Daewoo et al.

Given the rapid advances in plasma technology, and the potential for burn-in and other issues, I don't know if there would be a lot of interest in "used" plasmas. B stock might be different, if it came with full manufacturers warranty. The biggest concern people have about B-stock on an expensive item like plasma displays is DOA or dead pixels on arrival. Even at discount, videophiles are picky. Customer service is very, very important, and you'd be competing against several e-tailers marketing new A-stock at 10-15% margins. People would also want accessories like stands, video cards etc.

Honestly, the best place for research is the very active plasma forum at avsforum.com

3. Scott Cunninghm

Scott Cunninghm Stunt Coordinator

OK, thanks for the info.

We did sell some on ebay, but the consumer market was way too picky for our business. I sold a 50" Pioneer 502MX plasma to a guy as a used item with less than 600 hours on the screen. He was on the phone with me 3x day bitching about cables, scratces to the plastic bezel (all mentioned in the ebay ad), the free wall mount I threw in (he demanded I order him another brand and send it) etc....

I sold him this unit for 50% off the new wholesale price (and 1/4 of retail) and he still wasn't happy.

It got to the point where I said "I am refunding your money, a truck will be there in 2 hours to recover the unit. Please have it ready" that he shut up and left us alone.

Have sold other stuff without problems. We did a flat rate sale of 500 lumen Eiki 970's, and the HT guys went nuts. They called friends, brought them to our store, and most paid the $1k in cash. Not a single one came back. They were high quality professional units, and the customers were happy. Consumer market is funny.

4. Claire Panke

Claire Panke Second Unit

600 hours isn't a lot. eBay can be insane.

The current Pioneer 503cmx, as well as the 433 unit are very popular with HT folks. Pannys have better blacks but the shadow detail is better on the Pios, plus they can be upgraded.

You might try the listings/announcements section at avsforum and the video listings at Audiogon when you sell your next batch. Heck - e-mail ME when you have your next batch ;-)

Are these plasmas from conventions and trade shows? Just curious.

I have a refurbished Philips 34" direct view and it's a great TV for the money, $1550 deliverd vs $2500 retail. Almost *all* my audio gear is demo/lightly used. I think it's mainly the burn-in/dead pixel issues that would concern most HT geeks. Most of us wouldn't mind a couple little scratches to get a plasma at a reasonable price.