What's new

Sources for foam? (1 Viewer)

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
I'm basically looking for a flat sheet of open cell foam maybe 1/8" to 1/4" thickness, for DIY, preferably medium gray. Any online sources, or even better, local stores where you seen foam sell at?
After visiting a few local hardware stores (Ace, Sears, Home Depot...) and after spending about a minute of explaining what foam is using various analogies and examples, like "under carpeting" etc (vast majority had no idea what foam is) they could not recall having any in stock. Careful inspection of virtually every aisle in the stores did not turn up foam in any form, except in 'weather stripping' department.

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
How much foam are you looking for?
I happen to have a couple of rolls lying around, one smallish and one largish. Neither is gray, but foam can be dyed.
Jerry
[Edited last by JerryHatchett on July 28, 2001 at 10:24 AM]

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
2 - 17" x 20" pieces should do it.
I even went through a few packing outlets, that do professional packaging, none of them used it, odd. Yellow pages turned up only manufacturers, they would not want to sell small quantity for sure.
[Edited last by Mike Lenthol on July 28, 2001 at 11:21 AM]

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
If you don't find some, e-mail me. I'll send you some for the cost of shipping (which won't be much because it's so light) if 1/2" will work for you. I have a mammoth roll of it in the warehouse.
------------------

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
>Yellow pages turned up only manufacturers, they would not want to sell small quantity for sure.
====
It's been my experience that they often will give me scraps/samples for the asking of whatever product/material I wanted at the moment. At the least they have given me a list of local distributors who more often than not either give me scraps/samples, or at least a list of local retailers.
I once had a need for a small quantity of a mil spec $1000/gal two part epoxy. Their marketing dept. gave me demo kit worth ~$46.
GM
------------------
Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Have you tried fabric or craft stores yet? We just bought some 2" open-cell foam for an upholstery project at Michael's.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
Thanks for great ideas people! :)
I was in one fabric/crafts all in one sort of a store, but they only had foam in pieces large enough to make king sized mattresses, there are few others around too, guess they are worth looking into, as do some of the upholstery places. 1/4" thickness is oddly thin though, but I guess with some luck and persistence I'll track it down somewhere :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks