What's new

Source switching? (1 Viewer)

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
I need some advice. Right now I'm using a 20" Sony Wega TV (way too small, even for my little room, but I can't afford an upgrade yet) and a Technics SA-DX950 receiver that doesn't do S-video switching. All of my sources, however, use S-video. My question is whether or not I should buy an S-video switcher or just deal with plugging and unplugging each of my sources. Will an s-video switcher cause any noticeable degredation in picture quality? Are there any in specific brands that I should buy?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Uhhhh... the little pins in a SVideo plug really are not made to stand up to hundreds and hundreds of insert/remove cycles. Radio Shack sells a fairly decent switcher for about .. $40 that does SVideo. While not the highest quality in the world, people who have used it have not complained.
There are other units from www.audioadvisor.com and www.markertek.com - the latter being for the professional studio industry. The Audio Advisor unit 1155 sells for about $170.
The Onkyo TX-SR500 receiver that has 4 SVideo inputs for $320. Just to give you a comparison. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks