Source switching?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by george.Legeza, Dec 18, 2002.

1. george.Legeza

george.Legeza Stunt Coordinator

I need some advice. Right now I'm using a 20" Sony Wega TV (way too small, even for my little room, but I can't afford an upgrade yet) and a Technics SA-DX950 receiver that doesn't do S-video switching. All of my sources, however, use S-video. My question is whether or not I should buy an S-video switcher or just deal with plugging and unplugging each of my sources. Will an s-video switcher cause any noticeable degredation in picture quality? Are there any in specific brands that I should buy?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Uhhhh... the little pins in a SVideo plug really are not made to stand up to hundreds and hundreds of insert/remove cycles. Radio Shack sells a fairly decent switcher for about .. $40 that does SVideo. While not the highest quality in the world, people who have used it have not complained.
    There are other units from www.audioadvisor.com and www.markertek.com - the latter being for the professional studio industry. The Audio Advisor unit 1155 sells for about $170.
    The Onkyo TX-SR500 receiver that has 4 SVideo inputs for $320. Just to give you a comparison. [​IMG]