What's new

Source for Paintable Speaker Grills (1 Viewer)

Brent_N

Stunt Coordinator
I have completed a home theater in my basement with a built-in RPTV. There are rectangular cutouts for the TV speakers which I would like to mask with speaker grills painted the same color as the wall.

Something like 7 1/2 x 10 1/2 would be perfect.

Any ideas?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
As far as I know the only paintable grills are metal, like you find with in-wall speakers. I don’t think painting fabric grills would work – it will probably block out too much of the highs.

Your best bet for metal grills is probably to buy OEM replacements of a particular make and model from a manufacturer’s parts department. However, since they are custom-made for a specific frame, you will probably have to fabricate a means to hold them in place.

If fabric is the way you want to go, instead of painting I suggest using dyes. However, you will be hard pressed to find an identical color – you will probably have to be happy with a coordinating color.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

MikeWh

Second Unit
What is your wall color? In addition to Wayne's suggestions, you may be able to find an acoustically transparent fabric, like Guilford of Maine that is similar enough to your wall color. If you can't find a real good match, you may be able to use a paint wash (rather than a strict dye) to modify some fabric that is close to the right color. The more paint build-up required, however, the more you'll encounter the problems Wayne has discussed with high-end attenuation.

Brent_N

Stunt Coordinator
The walls are a burgandy / crimson color. I have found some grill fabrics on-line that are similar in color, but I doubt they would match close enough (hard to tell from a jpg image).

Spray painting a metal grill sounds like the way to go. Any ideas where to look for these. Parts Express and other similar on-line stores carry the circular metal grills, but, I have not been able to find a rectangular one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks