Source for large value capacitors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Seaton, Mar 16, 2001.

1. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    I'm in the midst of finishing up the enclosures for my latest project. Once I get the boxes completed and drivers installed, I can verify some impedance measurements to finalize the initial design of the midbass crossover. The problem is, a 4th order L-R at 300Hz makes for some pretty hefty component values. Fortunately I'm looking at a load that should hit a minimum of about 3 Ohms, so the inductors aren't that huge. What that does mean is that I need some big caps, on the order of 300uF. So far I've only seen Bennic bi-polars and Solen's Fast Caps at Madisound in this range. Obviously the Solen's get quite expensive for a first try which I will likely alter a bit. I'm thinking of just getting a few caps on the order of 50, 100, and 200uF to allow for some play. Does anyone have any sources for good experimental use or good prices & quality at these higher values?
    Thanks in advance,
    Mark Seaton
    Oh.. I'll fill you all in on the project soon enough [​IMG].

2. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

Try the Dayton caps from Parts Express. I have had pretty good luck with them and are not to far off on price. You could parallel several to get the value you are looking for.
    Have you thought about using electros with a bypass cap? Some sound quaility will be lost, but not too much. IMO
    James
    ------------------
    Luke, I'm your father

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Yep, for the low end, some people get by with a electrolytic cap (super-inexpensive) and parallel it with a high end polypropylene 0.1uF cap.
    If you're experimenting, use the electrolytics and poly's to get the right value, and then if you must have the poly's, splurge for them later.
    I've learn this lesson the hard way with my center channel speaker project.
    ------------------
    PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; LDs

4. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

I can't offer any advice on the caps, but you may want to look at LspCAD Pro if you design a lot of speakers. With its xover emulation feature, you can almost get to the point of a finalized xover design without ever ordering a single part. Scott Hinson, Jonothan Atkins and I have found it an invaluable tool (and our designs have improved greatly as a result). We've used it to design everything from Vifa two-ways to Seas Excel three-ways to RD75 systems. Uber-powerful program.
    Mark