Source/features for touchscreen monitor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Woodrow, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow Stunt Coordinator

I am considering building a PC (from unused parts lying around) for the purpose of controlling my HTPC, theater A/V components, and whole-house audio system. Basically, I'm trying to mimic a Crestron system for cheap $$$.

Building the PC is the easy part. As for software, the PC will run Girder and will control the HTPC via network commands and will control my A/V components via IR (UIRT2, Slinke, or equivalent). For my GUI, I'll run Mario Cascio's Lobby suite (MainLobby, DVDLobby, CDLobby, etc.).

Where I need help is in selecting a touchscreen LCD monitor. I'd prefer something small (10" diagonal), freestanding, and relatively unobtrusive (preferably in black). It would sit on a small end-table next to the couch and would be connected to the control PC in a closet behind it.

Can anyone point me to a good source for such a display? I assume it will connect via a standard VGA cable? Because the touchscreen aspect of the screen is essentially a mouse, will the screen come with driver software?

I'd appreciate any feedback on such screens, as well as on the idea in general.

Thanks always -
    - Ken

2. Derrick_W

Derrick_W Auditioning

I got a 12.1" LCD touchscreen (resistive) from ebay for $250. It was slighty used, but it's black (a big plus)and works great. I've made a custom Talisman shell to use an a control interface. It works pretty good. Watch ebay for a couple of weeks and I bet you'll find a bargin.

3. Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow Stunt Coordinator

Derrick:
    That's sound like exactly what I'm looking for. I'll start watching EBay. Do you have a dedicated computer for HTPC control, or do you use the touchscreen as a second monitor for the HTPC? If so, how?

I've been using Talisman and a mouse to operate the HTPC (I have a cool GyroMouse pointing device), but my problem is that when I go to fullscreen for DVDs, TV (DScaler), or Winamp visualizations, I lose direct access to my Talisman desktop. (I've since replaced Talisman with MainLobby, but the problem remains). With a dedicated "control" computer, I can control the HTPC, the server, home automation software, or any other network device from the touchscreen, irrespective of what's being displayed on the HTPC.

Or so my theory goes. I'm curious as to how other people have tackled this problem.

Thanks,
    Ken