"source direct"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by scott cerv, Nov 1, 2002.

1. scott cerv

scott cerv Stunt Coordinator

I'll have a Marantz SR7200 in the near future and I'm wondering if I can use the source direct mode going coax digi into the unit to use it's DAC as opposed to my DVD's?? Does source direct only work w/ analog in?? I plan to get a DAC unit soon.
    SC

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Source Direct bypasses bass management and tone controls, so it works with both digital and analog.

I may be missing something here, but using a digital connection means you have no choice but to go through the receiver's DACs.

3. scott cerv

scott cerv Stunt Coordinator

Good, that is what I wanted. I know that going digi uses the DAC in the unit, but I plan on getting a sep. DAC to use and then run analog in through the rec. I was just confirming my thoughts that a PCM signal could be source direct.
    Thanks,
    SC

4. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

I have a Marantz SR-18, and assuming the 7200 works the same, Source Direct will work on the digital input.

I have an old Sony ES CD Changer hooked up to my SR-18 by optical digital cable. In Stereo mode, the sub output and tone controls are active. In Direct mode, the sub is off and tone disabled, but the internal D/A is still producing the Stereo signal. In my experience, the Direct mode is not subtle. In fact, I rewired my sub using the preout/main-in connectors so that I can listen in Direct mode all the time and still have the sub active.