What's new

"source direct" (1 Viewer)

scott cerv

Stunt Coordinator
I'll have a Marantz SR7200 in the near future and I'm wondering if I can use the source direct mode going coax digi into the unit to use it's DAC as opposed to my DVD's?? Does source direct only work w/ analog in?? I plan to get a DAC unit soon.
SC

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Source Direct bypasses bass management and tone controls, so it works with both digital and analog.

I may be missing something here, but using a digital connection means you have no choice but to go through the receiver's DACs.

scott cerv

Stunt Coordinator
Good, that is what I wanted. I know that going digi uses the DAC in the unit, but I plan on getting a sep. DAC to use and then run analog in through the rec. I was just confirming my thoughts that a PCM signal could be source direct.
Thanks,
SC

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Marantz SR-18, and assuming the 7200 works the same, Source Direct will work on the digital input.

I have an old Sony ES CD Changer hooked up to my SR-18 by optical digital cable. In Stereo mode, the sub output and tone controls are active. In Direct mode, the sub is off and tone disabled, but the internal D/A is still producing the Stereo signal. In my experience, the Direct mode is not subtle. In fact, I rewired my sub using the preout/main-in connectors so that I can listen in Direct mode all the time and still have the sub active.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks