Source Direct on Marantz 7200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_T, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Jim_T

Jim_T Extra

If any Marantz SRx200 owners could help me out here, I'd really appreciate it.
    I have a Marantz PS7200 receiver (Japanese SR7200 with no tuner) and a Marantz CD6000 OSE CD player. I have them connected via both analog and coax digital.
    In the .pdf manual I was given (English version for the SR7200, as the real one that came with my receiver is in Japanese), it states that pressing the source direct button bypasses the receiver's tone control circuit and bass management, and sets the surround mode to "auto," all speakers to large, and subwoofer to yes. However, when using this setting, I can't hear my sub, despite being able to hear it in two channel stereo mode when not using source direct (i.e. the sub is hooked up correctly to the receiver). Is the sub supposed to be working? If not, why does the receiver set the sub to "yes"? Is this simply for DVD players with DD/DTS decoders?
    Also, how does source direct work with digital inputs? I thought that by using a digital connection between CD player and receiver, it bypassed the player's DACs and used the receiver's. What does source direct do to a digital signal? I thought the point of it was to bypass any circuitry and send the signal straight to the speakers, as it were. Where does the D/A conversion take place?
    Finally, two questions not at all related to source direct (I don't think): what does the attenuator do? I see their is a command on the remote for it, and a light on the receiver, but I can't find any info on it in this stinking, pathetic manual. And: are they serious when they say when using both speaker sets A and B, speakers of 12-16 Ohms must be used? Are these special speakers or something? Most I've seen around here are 6 or 8 Ohms.
    Sorry about all the questions...I wouldn't ask so many if the manual explained a little more. Thanks very much in advance.
    Jim

2. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I have the 7000. I never use S-dir, so somone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think I am.
    When you hit S-Direct, you SHOULD NOT be hearing you sub (if you are connected via the LFE/Sub Out). This does bypass all bass mgt and treats your speakers like large and sub=no. From what I can gather, many people with really good mains, prefer to use s-direct for music applications.
    I never use S-dir as my mains sound better when the sub picks up the bass load.
    Yes, the manual is awful.
    The att button....I believe is for when you are trying to force a dig signal through analog circuitry or vice versa. Something like that....

3. LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly Stunt Coordinator

I'm afraid the SR8000 also sets ub to 'no' when source direct is engaged. For this reason I bought an external x-over and drive my sub of the pre-out for the main speakers.
    I wish they hadn't done this, but thinking about it I can understand why. In order to drive the sub they'd either:
    - engage the cross-over, thus affecting the quality of the signal to the mains,
    - or pass full signal to the mains and a low-pass signal to the sub. In this case there would be a large overlap in the signal at the usual 120 hz x-over point, unless they also provided a lower x-over frequency in this mode.
    So they voted for a pure signal, but no sub.
    ------------------
    Upgrading: 'What if this is as good as it gets?'

4. Jim_T

Jim_T Extra

Steve, Larry, thanks. At least now I know that my receiver is okay. Strange how in both the manual and the on-screen display, the sub is shown as "yes" when source direct is on. Not quite ready for an external crossover yet - I guess I'll just have to decide whether the source direct sound is acceptable without the bass boost.
    Jim

5. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Jim:
    This is interesting. My guess is that there is a typo in the manual. In the previous series (SR-7000/8000), SOURCE DIRECT would set the unit with only the Front Mains set to LARGE and the sub and all other speakers were turned OFF. My guess is that this is still the case (or at least for the sub), so that is why you are not hearing the sub.
    On digital inputs, running SOURCE DIRECT would have the same function - to bypass tone and other processing circuitry. Of course, the signal would have to go through the receiver's DACs, but that would be the only processing done by the receiver before the amp stage.
    As for the Attenuator - it does just that. Attenuates analog inputs (maybe digital too, but not sure on that one). There was a function for this, sort of, on the last series. The last series had a very sensitive analog input stage. A lot of CD players would actually overload the analog inputs, causing a red PEAK light to come on. There seemed to be no audible penalty for this, so some chose to ignore it. Others did as the manual suggested - use the ATT feature. This attenuated the incoming audio and thus didn't overload the circuits. Unfortunately it had a severe penalty on sound quality, so it was best left out of the circuit. The solution to the PEAK problem is to either ignore it, turn the unit to SOURCE DIRECT mode (the PEAK light never comes on in this mode) or to attenuate the input at the source end (ie. if your CD player has variable output, lower it a bit).
    As for the ratings for the A-B speakers, I think they are correct, they are just representing it in an odd way. I think what they mean is total impedance must be in the 12-16 Ohms range. To get the total, just add the impedance for the two sets of speakers. This is important, since when you have A-B speakers, you do not have seperate amps for each set - rather A and B share the same amps. Running two sets of low-impedance speakers could be too hard on the amp. For example, don't run two sets of 4 ohm speakers - the total there would be 8 ohms, well below their rating of 12-16. You could run an 8 and a 4 - total 12. But you do want to be careful when running another set.
    ----
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "They're coming to get you Barbara..."

6. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

Hey Jim_T, welcome to t he party! As you can see, I'm JiM T, so let the confusion begin! [​IMG] Good luck with your problem...
    JiM T (the original!)
    [Edited last by JiM T on November 07, 2001 at 11:42 AM]

7. Jim_T

Jim_T Extra

Jeff, thanks for the further enlightenment. I guess I'll just have to invest in a 'real' sub and run my main speaker cables through it while setting them to large. And yes, your explanation of the high speaker Ohm rating makes sense - what a strange way to write it in the manual, though!
    JiM T, I had no idea I was the second incarnation here - I was just using my name! I'll just call you "The One."
    [​IMG]
    Thanks again everyone for your replies.
    Jim