Soundtrack scores in multichannel

Discussion in 'Music' started by Yumbo, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

anyone have a list of soundtrack scores on SACD, DVD-A and DTS?

thanks.

2. Harrison Shinn

Harrison Shinn Stunt Coordinator

Harrison Shinn
    So far, and I've really been looking for them, it seems like there are very few of them out there.

I've purchased the following:

A.I. Artificial Intelligence (DVD-A)
    A Beautiful Mind (SACD MC)
    The Big Picture (DTS)
    E.T. The Extraterrestrial (SACD MC)
    Film Busters (DVD-A)
    The Film Music of Jerry Goldsmith (SACD MC)
    Koyaanisqatsi (DVD-A)
    Star Trek Nemesis (SACD MC)
    Titanic (DTS CD)

The A.I. MC mix is excellent, as is Koyaanisqatsi, although it is a re-recording it's very faithful to the original. In fact it makes the soundtrack on the recently released DVD sound monaural! The Big Picture is an Erich Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops compilation and it's actually one of the better ones. It was Kunzel's first MC disc and the performances are pretty good although the addition of special sound effects gets a little annoying after a while. It has a terrific discrete mix and the bass is outstanding.

A Beautiful Mind is all right. Not bad, but not stellar. The recording clean but the MC mix isn't very interesting. Ditto for E.T. which is very, very disappointing...especially after listening to the regular CD version. There's little to no bass, and the surrounds are, for the most part, inactive. I'm not saying that want instruments placed discretely in the surrounds, but there's hardly any ambience either! In fact, processing the regular CD through DPLII's Music Mode makes the score sound better than the SACD version! The same can also be said of the Nemesis SACD. It's a nice clean recording, but the mix just doesn't do anything interesting. It makes me wonder why they even bothered with a 5.1 channel mix! They just should've left well enough alone and made the disc a stereo SACD...since that's what they sound like anyway! Even Goldsmith's FILM MUSIC compilation is better, and though it doesn't have a LFE channel, the bass is still heaps better!

FILM BUSTERS is a compilation from Denon and it's just all right. The best cuts are conducted by Elmer Bernstein, which were taken from Denon's Elmer Bernstein compilation from the late '90's.

The TITANIC DTS CD is quite good, although there isn't much in the way of surround. However, the imaging is much improved and in several cues you can hear that the instruments are placed in the mix where the musicians would be seated onstage, especially during SOUTHHAMPTON.

Sony keeps saying that they'll be releasing a MC SACD of TITANIC, but it's been close to two years since they announced it and...nothing!

I'm hoping that other scores will be released soon. I thought that Warner would most surely have released the HARRY POTTER scores or that Sony would release the STAR WARS scores! Also, Howard Shore's LORD OF THE RINGS would be perfect too!

I also have the Esa-Pekka Salonen compilation of Bernard Herrmann's film music and although it's only two channel SACD, it's terrific! The opening Prelude from THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH is spine-tingling!

Hope this helps you a little!

Cheers!
    Harry

3. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

I have The Big Picture CD, and do not like the re-recordings as I'm all too familiar with most of the originals. Interesting about the MC mix.

What player are you using? Seems like the same results from my Marantz 8300 in regards to SACD.

The Jerry Goldsmith is the best sounding one, and I don't know how, but in any case, it's FRUSTRATING to read others waxing lyrical about hwo the SACD layers sound.

Bass Management?

I'd rather listen to DTS.

ps. there is a Titanic SACD - stereo only I think.

4. Harrison Shinn

Harrison Shinn Stunt Coordinator

Harrison Shinn
    I'm also familiar with all of the scores on THE BIG PICTURE and while the performances pale beside the originals, it's better than nothing...for now.

I have a Sony SCD-SE775, which was an entry level model from 2001. It's quite good for such a low priced model and it does have it's own bass management, though I am running it through my Outlaw ICBM for good measure. Ditto my Technics DVD-A player. Both are connected to the Onkyo TX-DS989 which is a THX Ultra 2 Receiver and the sound quality is nothing short of awesome.

I am aware of the TITANIC stereo SACD. I'm referring to a catalog that was issued back in 2001/2002 that mentioned that a multi-channel version was on it's way. Oh well.

Regards,
    Harry

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Dances With Wolves is also in SACD, although it is only Stereo. I also have Big Picture DTS CD and I like the recording.

6. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

so my player isn't that bad then...the discs are poor to start with (SACD layer).

I prefer the CD layer as well.